Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Awesome thread guys. Keep the stories and pics coming. My wife and I just had twin girls back in September and I really hope they turn out to enjoy the outdoors as much as I.

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by docdb
I had my doubts at first, but having only daughters has worked out pretty good.
[Linked Image]

If only the squirrels would cooperate!

Beautiful daughter and love the Browning for squirrels .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
EvanHill,

I thought I recognized that canyon, I was sure when I saw the petroglyph panel.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I always wanted a son. Youngest daughter gave me two grandsons, yet it was not to be. Grandson #1 died in a car accident just before turning three. Grandson #2 didn't make it here. He died of a cord accident in the womb. BUT I have girls. Three daughters that have matured into fine ladies. Aged 52, 50, and 38. They all have shotguns and handguns. I am soon going to hand them each a .22LR and a CF rifle. Eldest and youngest are "ranch girls." Eldest is in real estate and she saw a value in a small ranch (deeded) with a larger (leased) spread adjacent. She and SIL bought it to someday have a quail factory. Youngest married a young man that has about 3000 acres of ranch land plus he farms with his father. Middle daughter and I just visit the ranches and enjoy.

Then there are two grand daughters. Three and eight. The eight year old is beginning to like shooting. She has her eye on the 4H Club shooting program. Gave her a BB gun last Christmas and her grandfather's single shot .22 last week.

Living in a woman's world takes a tough personality. They borrow your truck, and the perfume lingers for weeks. You have to constantly remind your bride that you need stinky guy soap, not some beauty bar. They wear your warm coat and dry cleaning fails to remove the nice odor. I have spent the better part of my seventy five years smelling like a girl. When I do not see them for a few days/weeks, I miss it/them.

A few weeks ago, I was talking to an old friend on the phone,while visiting youngest daughters family. Grand daughter came skipping by, kissed me on the cheek and said, "Dad Dad, I love you," and was gone. My friend commented, "That was worth the trip." To which I wholeheartedly agree.

We hunt and fish together. Daughter #1 and husband are into fly fishing for trout and try to spend a month in the mountains each summer. Last summer, the whole tribe spent a week chasing the trout. Wee shoot trap at the ranch. They have a nice shooting pad overlooking a small canyon. Targets for the kids to hone their skills. Youngest daughter and I have hunted deer and turkey together. Big fun.

God bless the girls in my life. Amen. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
P
PSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jt402
I always wanted a son. Youngest daughter gave me two grandsons, yet it was not to be. Grandson #1 died in a car accident just before turning three. Grandson #2 didn't make it here. He died of a cord accident in the womb. BUT I have girls. Three daughters that have matured into fine ladies. Aged 52, 50, and 38. They all have shotguns and handguns. I am soon going to hand them each a .22LR and a CF rifle. Eldest and youngest are "ranch girls." Eldest is in real estate and she saw a value in a small ranch (deeded) with a larger (leased) spread adjacent. She and SIL bought it to someday have a quail factory. Youngest married a young man that has about 3000 acres of ranch land plus he farms with his father. Middle daughter and I just visit the ranches and enjoy.

Then there are two grand daughters. Three and eight. The eight year old is beginning to like shooting. She has her eye on the 4H Club shooting program. Gave her a BB gun last Christmas and her grandfather's single shot .22 last week.

Living in a woman's world takes a tough personality. They borrow your truck, and the perfume lingers for weeks. You have to constantly remind your bride that you need stinky guy soap, not some beauty bar. They wear your warm coat and dry cleaning fails to remove the nice odor. I have spent the better part of my seventy five years smelling like a girl. When I do not see them for a few days/weeks, I miss it/them.

A few weeks ago, I was talking to an old friend on the phone,while visiting youngest daughters family. Grand daughter came skipping by, kissed me on the cheek and said, "Dad Dad, I love you," and was gone. My friend commented, "That was worth the trip." To which I wholeheartedly agree.

We hunt and fish together. Daughter #1 and husband are into fly fishing for trout and try to spend a month in the mountains each summer. Last summer, the whole tribe spent a week chasing the trout. Wee shoot trap at the ranch. They have a nice shooting pad overlooking a small canyon. Targets for the kids to hone their skills. Youngest daughter and I have hunted deer and turkey together. Big fun.

God bless the girls in my life. Amen. jack

Amen is right!!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like most any man, I wanted a boy. God gave me 2 beautiful, intelligent girls who like to hunt and shoot. My brother has 2 boys and a girl. None are really interested yet. As you can see, girls have worked out pretty well for me .

Today we went and watched Skyfall together. Tomorrow we are going to try to fill their mulie doe tags.

I am incredibly blessed!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/JimGratrix/IMGP2835.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p292/JimGratrix/IMGP4168.jpg[/img]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is an old saying attributed to Confusius that claims it is a wish man who wishes for a daughter.
I certainly would agree. Mine is now our top fly fishing guide, as well as the most requested bear and moose hunting guide. She has even informed us that she wants to take over the business when we retire.

She also is one of the top contenders in a national Prois women's hunting contest and if any of you care to vote for her the winner gets a trip to Africa next year . You can find the voting on Proishunting.com/proisaward/ .
Some of your daughters might even wish to compete next year.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am enjoying the pictures everyone is sharing. Looks like lots of you have great help putting meat on the table!

Our 9 year old daughter Grace has both the "girly" side with gymnastics and dressing up, but also loves to put on the camo and go hunting and fishing, too. Deer season starts in two weeks and she's ready!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This young lady is one of my wife's former students (she's now a nurse) that is like an adopted daughter/big sister in our family and loves the outdoors, too. Here she is getting ready and then celebrating her first deer last year:
[img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/dkwhis/Sarahatrange.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w8/dkwhis/IMG5F9372.jpg[/img]

Can't wait to get both of them and my wife out for deer season. I've told them I'm not sure how it works that I pull the trigger one time and have to drag four deer, but I consider myself pretty lucky...!

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 11/17/12.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
T
T
Lovely pics of everyone who got great daughters who love hunting and shooting. I got sons and I was truly thankful that i would have somebody following my footsteps. They also go hunting with me but I can see that they're not as passionate in it as I am. Perhaps, if I could have a daughter, she might be just like all of your girls.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just bumping this up so that perhaps Dwayne (BC30cal) will post some of his pictures of his daughters -- they are great!

John

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Thanks for the kind prompting John, I'd meant to share a few more and neglected to.

Before doing so though I'd like to say a sincere well done to the fathers here who have been getting their daughters out afield. A tip of the hat to you all and very well done!

I can say with a large degree of confidence that girls that hunt and experience the outdoors have a different view of many facets of life - where food comes from for instance - than those that don't. While I'd never say those experiences will make them "better" than those who don't, I've yet to perceive any negatives from them being hunters.

Anyway from a bunch of hunting photos from our family and with apologies as these have been shown here before, here are a few of my favorites.

This is the day of the girls' first deer. Although our eldest had hunted a year previous to this she'd not killed a buck. Sisters being what and how they are, I was praying fervently for us to bump into at least two young dumb bucks then so both of them might score.

Whether it was an answer to prayer or not is indeed personal perspective - but in 30 years of hunting in BC this was the first and only day that 5 bucks fed up an open hillside to within 30 yards of 3 people sitting with nothing more than grass for concealment.

After a space of 10-20 seconds - these two were down within 15yds of each other.

[Linked Image]

Before going on I'll add that this day topped my first black bear, my first and only California ram, my first and only moose and any - well all of the blacktail, mulie or whitetail bucks that I pulled the trigger on.

So with that understanding of how I "really feel" about hunting with our girls... wink

A pretty good mulie that our youngest shot one season. It was a longish shot and one 100gr. Hornady from her .250AI was all that was needed.
[Linked Image]

This little fellow was our eldest's longest shot on deer to date. We don't have a range finder so I can only say that it was a long hike over to where it lay and the truck looked small when we got to it. She'd been shooting her Swede enough that summer and felt confident enough to place a single 130gr TSX.
[Linked Image]

Our youngest's best whitetail, which we spotted way down in an opening in the timber. He stuck his head up over a downed log and she carefully hit him in the neck - which was the only shot really - with the same combination as before, 100gr. Hornady and .250AI.
[Linked Image]

Our eldest does her own eviscerating and had me snap this photo as proof for her school friends as she was winding up the job on her first whitetail. The little buck fell to the 130gr TSX and 6.5x55 combination again.
[Linked Image]

This mulie buck should have kept moving up the mountain in retrospect. He stopped with his body screened by pines, but just had to stick his head out for that one last look that some mulie bucks seem to like to take. This time it was fatal. whistle
[Linked Image]

Our eldest wanted to get something bigger than a 2 point or spike that year, so we hunted hard, pounded the mountain behind the house flat and burned enough diesel to get a thank you card from the local Husky station - well OK Husky didn't send a card exactly, but man did we pile up the BCAA points buying diesel that season. blush

So with only 5 days left in the season we headed up after school for a quick hunt Friday night after school. Since it's after the time change and it's dark by 4:30PM or so, we just hit this spot at dusk as this rotund young fellow crossed the skidder road. The photo doesn't really do his body justice as he's kind of bunched up due to the "level terrain" we hunt.. wink Although the rack isn't that bad we were pretty excited about the potential round steaks this buck would produce and we subsequently found he tasted just great!

[img:center]http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x83/BC30cal/Amd.jpg[/img]

Anyway folks, there's a few of our family hunts that bring grand memories for me. Thanks for looking and again thanks for sharing yours.

All the best to you John and thanks again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dwayne, your pictures certainly lived up to my "advance billing"! smile

If you ever find yourself in northern Sweden, you be sure to let me know in advance so we can have a nice meal together!

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
John;
Thanks so much for the kind invitation and words, I do truly appreciate them.

If you ever find yourself touring the south Okanagan I certainly hope I could do the same for you John.

Hopefully I can be forgiven if I throw this last one in as it's special to me as it both gives me cause to celebrate and yet to be a little sad at the same time.

When our beloved long gun registry was axed this spring, I told our eldest that I'd buy her a .22 to commemorate the event. wink

She's in Grade 12 this year and will be eligible to take her Canadian Firearm's licence in 2013 - so when she moves out the Swede that I built for her late Granddad and was passed onto her and this 10/22 will be able to go with her. To say I'm emotionally torn about this impending exit from our house would be understatement indeed.

Anyway John she wanted a 10/22 and after a bit of looking we found a very clean 3rd year production model for her. We cruised the Penticton gun show this April and found a bunch of parts for hot rodding it - the rest came from my overstuffed parts bins.

At her insistence she stripped her rifle down and put in all the new parts including the trigger shim kit - which wasn't as simple as the chap on youtube made it appear may I add! laugh

When it was done she ended up shooting it a lot this summer when we were cutting firewood and became quite proficient with it.

Her boyfriend doesn't hunt but really likes game meat and requested a rabbit, so here is the first rabbit taken with her much modified 10/22.

[Linked Image]

Anyway sorry for the long winded explanation John, but hopefully that explains a bit of what that photo represents to me.

Thanks again and all the best to you this week John.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Dwayne

You have clearly instilled in her the drive to make her own decisions and to do things for herself -- and that is surely one of the best things parents can do.

I imagine that she has already felt a lot of peer pressure from other girls her age, and yet she has made up her own mind and is a hunter -- even hangs out with the old man! smile

I interact with a lot of university students (some just having left home for the first time, so they would be your daughter's age), and I have no doubt that she will do well in life.

All the best from (very!) northern Sweden -- where sunset is at 1435 h today, and it is pitch black by 3 PM frown

John

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great pictures, Dwayne. Looks like lots of outdoor fun with your daughters. Thanks for sharing!

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am not sure how it works over there, but here whenever a firearms magazine has an article featuring a Daughter or wife hunting it is avidly read by all....much more so than bloke articles.

Must be a lot of us Dads out there.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
docdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wow, thanks for all the nice responses. This thread has really taken off in a great direction. Great news this weekend, middle daughter got into the University of Georgia, early decision, with scholarship! Booooyaaaa!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My 9 year old loves getting out with dad.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Ralphie; 11/20/12.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My daughter and I have been going on annual camping trips for the last 7 or 8 years. She is 15 now. 3 years ago we started camping with the horses. this year she took her first deer. there is NOTHING like spending time like this with your daughter(s) They are experiences that shape thm into the adult they will become and create memories that last forever.

I also have a son (12) and take him camping and hunting as well. I take the kids on separate trips so they get individual attention. Unfortunately my son is NOT into the horses.

First deer about 5 days ago.
[Linked Image]

This years camping trip
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Getting in some range time
[Linked Image]

Taking the horses to McDonalds drive thru
[Linked Image]

And I could go on and on.

Think I am a proud dad???? You bet!!!!

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Was blessed with Triplets.. 2 daughters and a son. My Huntress:
[Linked Image]

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
251 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,704 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.