Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've been looking for a moderately priced rangefinder to back up my Leica CRF1200, and wanted something that would go 1000 yards if needed. I consider a rangefinder to be an indespensible piece of equipment, enough so that I have really felt uncomfortable without a back up unit.

Enter the Vortex Ranger 1000. Got mine this morning, and all I can say is that it flat out works. I spent about an hour and a half running the Vortex side to side with my Leica CRF 1200 out to 1100 yards, and could find no difference whatever in the ranging capabilities of the two units. Both worked flawlessly on livestock at 750 to 900 yards, and vehicles as far as 1122 were acquired with the Vortex.

The Vortex is a bit smaller than the Leica unit, and will fit easily into a coat pocket. The display is red,easily seen, and uses an open crosshair for targeting. The unit has a mode that gives the angle to the target and is easily changed from yards to meters. All in all, I like the Vortex 1000 a lot, and it has glass as good or better than the Leica. Street price is around $380, and at that, it is a steal.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My two shooting buddies and I have 6 riflescopes and one spotter. Vortex products are, in my opinion, good values. Glad to hear their RF's are working out good.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
From the reports I've read on other forums, the Vortex will get you about 600 yds max on deer. Please let us know, will ya?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Over the weekend, I was able to get out and about with the Vortex. I managed to get a reading on deer at 722 yards, which is the farthest I have tried on an animal other than livestock. In South Africa, I have used the Leica CRF 1200 to get readings of 800 yards on kudu and 527 on springbok. I killed the springbok with my Sharps at that distance. I haven't taken the Vortex to Africa yet, but that is in the works for 2013. Based on my side by side comparisons on livestock with the Vortex and the Leica, I feel the Vortex will easily meet any requirement I might have for a hunting rangefinder. I am glad the Vortex is available, as it works as well as I had hoped, and frankly, better than I expected. It is also reasonably priced. Vortex customer service behind it doesn't hurt either.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
It sure looks a lot like the the Leupold RX-1000i TBR and shares a lot of specifications. I would expect it to work similarly.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Except the TBR isn't waterproof but rather "weatherproof"=deal breaker for me over the vortex which is waterproof.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Except the TBR isn't waterproof but rather "weatherproof"=deal breaker for me over the vortex which is waterproof.
The Vortex website says nothing about being "submersible". It says "O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside for withstanding harsh weather conditions". That would leave me to believe the Vortex is actually "weather proof" just like the Leupold. They are so close speck wise, I'll bet they come out of the same Chinese factory. Street price is nearly the same too. I think the only real difference would be long term service, as I doubt Leupold is going anywhere soon. However, at the rate this technology is improving, by the time you wear one of these out you'll probably want a new one anyway.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by timbo762
The Vortex website says nothing about being "submersible". It says "O-ring seals prevent moisture, dust, and debris from getting inside for withstanding harsh weather conditions". That would leave me to believe the Vortex is actually "weather proof" just like the Leupold. They are so close speck wise, I'll bet they come out of the same Chinese factory. Street price is nearly the same too. I think the only real difference would be long term service, as I doubt Leupold is going anywhere soon. However, at the rate this technology is improving, by the time you wear one of these out you'll probably want a new one anyway.

Lots of speculation there for sure. Leupold says nothing about o-ring seal, nor does it claim to be waterproof. Just going by what the companies list. One clamis waterproof with an o-ring seal the other just says weatherproof....I own a Leica 1200 but if I had to pick between a Vortex Ranger and a Leupold TBR I'd go vortex just based on the o-ring seal and waterproof, but to each their own.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
From many binoculars that I own, the Leupold's seem to have better quality control than Vortex.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Hawker
From many binoculars that I own, the Leupold's seem to have better quality control than Vortex.

How many Vortex bins do you own?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And are you comparing comperable price points?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by timbo762

Lots of speculation there for sure. Leupold says nothing about o-ring seal, nor does it claim to be waterproof. Just going by what the companies list. One clamis waterproof with an o-ring seal the other just says weatherproof....I own a Leica 1200 but if I had to pick between a Vortex Ranger and a Leupold TBR I'd go vortex just based on the o-ring seal and waterproof, but to each their own.
I contacted Vortex, and they said their rangefinder was subjected to a five minute water spray test should be ok if dropped in shallow water and promptly retrieved, but is NOT submersible. If it's not submersible, it's not water proof. So it is in reality weather proof and not really water proof just as I suspected.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am in the market for a new rangefinder and the Vortex is at the top of my list. I went to Sportsmans and started ranging things within the store and then got out the Leica and ranged the same items. There was a 3 yard variance at 50 yards between the two units. I then got out the Leupold rx-1000i and a Nikon version and both were spot on with the Leica. This concerns me about the Vortex and I am a Vortex guy. I own a razor hd spotter, a pair of kaibabs and a pair of razor binos

Is there a plausible explanation as to why that unit was off by 3 yards?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I remain very impressed with the 1000i DNA TBR {and all that stuff smile }. Very accurate and fast so far, as verified by dead hogs and a CDS dial.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I remain very impressed with the 1000i DNA TBR {and all that stuff smile }. Very accurate and fast so far, as verified by dead hogs and a CDS dial.

Right on! The non TBR model is about $50 less, do you think the TBR is worth it?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Probably just a defective item and I doubt they are all that way. Ask to try another and see how it does.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Right on! The non TBR model is about $50 less, do you think the TBR is worth it?

I don't use the TBR since, as you well know, elevation is not a factor where I go. I wouldn't worry about that feature, but the one I got cheaply just so happened to have it. I'd be willing to bet the RX1000i and the Vortex are made in the same plant. The specs are very, very close IIRC. I sent you a PM as well Drum.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have read very few reports of the Vortex actually ranging correctly. Most report 3 yards off.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
After much research and debate, I end up getting Leupold rangefinder. Nothing against Vortex. But Leupold has been making rangefinder for many years. I would try to stay away from the new product the company just start learning how to make it. Maybe after 5 years, I will reconsider the Vortex rangefinder

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 1,346 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,446
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.