Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I would recommend the lyman sizer, you'll not regret it.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blammer
I would recommend the lyman sizer, you'll not regret it.

It's what I used before so I'm comfortable with that. Thanks.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
head over to cast boolits they have a swap and sell and you'll likely find a good deal on a used one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mickey, I am sorely lacking in knowledge of metallurgy. Like karate, I know just about enough to get my azz kicked. I just try not to get the stuff hot enough to melt the zinc. That way I have one less thing that I don't understand to worry about. Plus I sort ahead of time. The zinc weights are easy to spot. Actually these days the lead weights are the easiest to spot because there are so few of them.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by blammer
head over to cast boolits they have a swap and sell and you'll likely find a good deal on a used one.

I ordered a RCBS yesterday. I had a good reason at the time but I can't remember what it was. I could have told you at the time I opted for the RCBS but it was something that I read in a couple of customer's reviews of the Lyman.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
RCBS is a good sizer too. smile

PMC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mickey, there is a guy on castboolits that will trade lb for lb zinc contaminated lead for straight lead. He makes cannonballs or some such. I always sort through my wheel weights first separating steel and zinc from lead. Also if you keep the heat down the zinc's will float.

shhh. be vewy vewy quiet. i'm hunting deer. uhhh uhhh uhhhh.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PMC
Mickey, there is a guy on castboolits that will trade lb for lb zinc contaminated lead for straight lead. He makes cannonballs or some such. I always sort through my wheel weights first separating steel and zinc from lead. Also if you keep the heat down the zinc's will float.

After I get through sorting the zinc out of seven five gallon buckets I'll give him the zinc if he wants it or anybody else that can use it. I may see what a scrap dealer will give me if nobody wants it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MColeman
that you find today. When I cast thousands of bullets for handguns about 40 years ago I used mostly wheel weights with good success. Now I find that wheel weights are vastly different. When I melt them down there is a huge amount of 'sludge' forming on the surface of the molten metal. Is this zinc? What to you guys do with it? It's a real pain and I have 7 five gallon buckets of wheel weights that I will eventually melt down if I live long enough.

It's going to be a real pain to have to sort through them but if that's what it takes to remove the weights that are not lead then I have no choice, I suppose.

I'm beginning to cast bullets for my 30-30 and .300 Savage and I am using a Lee Production pot with a setting of about 6-7. I find the driving bands on the bullets are not fully filled out and I suspect I need the lead to be hotter. Right?

I've read of so many that use Lee equipment but I just can't get the idea out of my head that lower priced equipment will not perform as well as Lyman, Redding-Saeco and RCBS. I am not trying to 'cheap out' and have no aversion to spending if it will give me better results.

Any advice you can give will be most appreciated. Many thanks, Mickey

The zinc weights have more of a silver color and sand texture than the lead WW. Lead will be a grayish color and the weights will likely show some sort of damage from use. Zinc will be less damaged. Zinc also gives off a distinct sweet sickening odor that smells like hot galvanizing on an overheated stovepipe when melting. I've found them floating in the lead melt. Get them out. The less dense metals such as bullet jackets when melting range recovered lead and zinc weights will float to the top. The steel clips also float.

The other junk gets skimmed off the top until you have a mirror, silvery melt. Just have an old coffee can or other junk metal contain to dump your slag in. And old spoon works fine for skimming.

If your bullets aren't filling out, your molds may be too cool or you may need to add some tin solder to your melt. If your bullets are coming out frosty looking, your molds are too hot. It doesn't hurt them. But if they are frosty and aren't filled out completely, add some tin.

Also wrinkly bullets indicate the mould temp is too low.

You also might want to consider getting a cast iron melt pot just to melt your sorted WWs or recycle recovered range lead and pour them into ingots such as an old muffin pan and use your production pot strictly for melting your ingots and casting.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for all your suggestions.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mickey, if you are convinced that your melt temps and alloy are correct and you are still getting less than perfect fill-out it might be due to a contaminated mold. The folks over at Cast Boolits told me about this and recommended a thorough degreasing of mold mating surfaces and cavities.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'll degrease mine. I'm sure I hosed it down with brake cleaner but I'll do it again. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
not all brake clean solvents work equally well,some leave a slight residue,dipping the mold in really hot soapy dish water with dawn soap and a good brushing with a soft tooth brush followed by some alcohol seems to clean fairly well then immediately heat the molds to remove moisture and coat the surface with mold release spray.
the guys are correct that the mold won,t cast well until its fairly hot , I generally want my bullets to look a bit frosted, and adding 5% tin to the mix of wheel weights helps both bullet strength and the mold fill out more uniformly.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/76...mold-release-agent-and-lube-6-oz-aerosol
a build up of smoke soot from a wax candle on the surface until the molds surface is coated in fine black soot, will work but its not going to last nearly as long or work as well.

Last edited by 340mag; 11/28/12.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"..and adding 5% tin to the mix of wheel weights helps both bullet strength and the mold fill out more uniformly."

Yep. The antimony in WW solidifies before the lead, a bit of tin keeps the antimony in solution until it all solidifies.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just ordered tin from Roto-Metal in cut pieces of wire. Now my question is how can I tell how much to add? I ordered 3 pounds but using a 20 pound pot will this supply last a good while? I know that it depends on how much I cast but I've never added tin before. In my past casting I just used pure wheel weights.

I fear that I'm making this too complicated. In my younger, and simpler days I just went at it. Now that I'm hanging around you guys I'm trying too hard. wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MColeman
.....I fear that I'm making this too complicated. In my younger, and simpler days I just went at it. Now that I'm hanging around you guys I'm trying too hard. wink

That's the same conclusion I came to several years ago......., so, I just became young again. Life is some much easier that way, sometimes.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just fill the 20 lb pot with 19 lbs or nearly full,

[Linked Image]
of ingots and the first time its melted add 1 lb of pure tin, flux and stir it in, cast till its 1/2 used then add wheel weight metal ingots and about 1/4 -1/3rd lb of tin and let the pot re heat each succeeding melt time, really its not going to matter if you get it absolutely exactly correct, just try hard to keep it in the 3.5%-5% tin range and youll be fine, obviously you try to be as consistent as you can.
I generally melt wheel weight metal, flux it, and cast ingots in a muffin pan using a large iron pot on a turkey deep fry heater

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-cast-iron-dutch-oven-44705.html

Last edited by 340mag; 11/30/12.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
you only need about 2 oz of tin per 10lbs of alloy to get close to 2% tin alloy mix. 2% tin in an alloy is a LOT of tin, and that much is not really needed.

for 20lbs of alloy I'd add 2oz to start see how that works and at MOST add another 1 oz.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,612
Posts18,454,920
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.