Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kawi Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
From hear on out I will shoot the bullet I like. I think it should ad a new but good twist to the hunt. The game should not be to offel fare away but nun to close,somewhat skinny but nun to fat,just setting there but not asleap, gusty but not blowing. That should about do it. grin

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
okie dokie.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kawi
From hear on out I will shoot the bullet I like. I think it should ad a new but good twist to the hunt. The game should not be to offel fare away but nun to close,somewhat skinny but nun to fat,just setting there but not asleap, gusty but not blowing. That should about do it. grin

+1
I was just thinking the same thing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've killed a lot of elk with standard bullets and I've killed some with the high dollar bullets. I see very little difference.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've killed a lot of elk with standard bullets and I've killed some with the high dollar bullets. I see very little difference.

Did these same Elk offer their opinion? Always two sides to a story..

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dead elk don't have opinions.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Many many years ago, I chose the bullets I wanted to use.I never have been to muh in following all the gack about these so called majic bullets that many tout as the only thing to use.

I use what works for me and have done quite well. Don't care what others use.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've killed a potload of elk with Speer Hotcores in both 270 and 300 WSM. They've performed nicely...and with far less meat destruction than Accubonds. 30 cal, 180 gr Hotcores are kind of hard to find now, though, as they're being replaced by the Speer's Deep Curl. I might give those a try.

― George Orwell

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Feel fre to believe whatever you like. I've found the premiums have an advantage when the shot is taken under tough conditions. The better ones open better at longer ranges, penetrate better when heavy tissues are encountered, and often leave a blood trail which can make the difference between finding the kill in time or having it lost. E

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
okie dokie.....

grin grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
To me ... the right bullets are the ones that are the most accruate out of my rifle. Those are the ones I use ...

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Many times though the most accurate bullet is really not the one best suited for the game being chased.Change that to selecting the most accurate bullet within the design paramters to match the game being chased and I'd agree

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/19/12.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by lippygoathead
To me ... the right bullets are the ones that are the most accruate out of my rifle. Those are the ones I use ...

+1

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Looking back over more than a few elk,deer,pronghorn thatI have killed, the few that entailed a longer than 50 yard tracking job was due to poor bullet placement on my part rather than what bullet I used or what cartridge it came out of.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I pick the most accurate in the lower priced bullets. They tend not to be the tougher bullets so open better at longer ranges if it's close I just shootem' in the head or neck.

I'll use an expensive partition when I have to shoot through a brick wall or something first.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That was kinda the punch line,,,

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kenneth

That was kinda the punch line,,,

But did it exit? laugh laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much all I shoot on big game are Nosler Partitions. As a guide though I see all kinds of calibers, bullets, and accuracy. I'm constantly "surprised" how often critters take a dirt nap, with bullets and hits that are supposed to be sub-par.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
the right bullet is the one you made yourself. Like catching a big rainbow or brown on your own fly, shooting an elk with your own bullet is the way to go.

[Linked Image]

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Many times though the most accurate bullet is really not the one best suited for the game being chased.Change that to selecting the most accurate bullet within the design paramters to match the game being chased and I'd agree

Nice and polite response.........beat me to it.....LOL.

If they made a 180gr. V-Max in .308, I suppose that it might be the most accurate bullet that I could find, but doubt very much that you could carry enough to put down an elk.

Desiring to use only the most accurate bullet/load for hunting is akin to purchasing the most comfortable hiking boot made that fits what you think you want, but in 3 sizes too big. It might do the job, it might not, but there is likely a far more appropriate fit from which to choose.

Last edited by magnumb; 11/21/12.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 72 invisible), 3,180 guests, and 1,454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.