Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Glad you had a good season, MD. We in SC still have till 3/1. Going out tomorrow. Want to try that chowder recipe you posted, but have been frying and eating as fast they come in....

Ella

BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Missed one and got one this morning and then just barely (caught it in the throat). The few I saw were skittery and gone. It was real quiet in the woods except for some interludes of turkeys.

I'm hunting a lot of this:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ingwe, you shooting one of those racoon-looking foxsquirrels on your safari?

Ella

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Id REALLY like to shoot one of those Panda Looking squirrels that they get in SC...

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ella
Glad you had a good season, MD. We in SC still have till 3/1. Going out tomorrow. Want to try that chowder recipe you posted, but have been frying and eating as fast they come in....

Ella

BTW: That chowder recipe works just fine with chicken..... wink

It is THE BEST!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'd offer you a stop if I knew a reliable place to take you.

There's a place 20 minutes East of here where they're dripping from the trees. This past deer season, I watched three of them playing grabass with one that was full black--all of em big as weiner dogs. And there's a park in town (Aiken, SC) that's the same way. But it's illegal to hunt them there! And where you can hunt em, I see them only occasionally and always when I'm carrying a deer rifle.

Maybe the guy that got that one can steer you on to them.

(This morning's was a big ol'd chewy looking boar, so I put him in the "stew squirrel" bag in the freezer. I want the first time with that chowder to be perfect.)
smile
Ella

Last edited by Ella; 02/09/13.
IC B2

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm already getting fired up for next fall, and the season has only been over for 1 1/2 weeks! grin I've already added a couple of "refinements" to the Sportster, 3x9 scope with BDC, and a new claw sling. Soon as it gets fit, I'm out for a sight in session.

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Which scope and BDC?

I find the Burris BP to be IDEAL....

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Tom, I should have said the scope has a BDC reticle. It's a Truglow 3x90 50, with a crosshair illuminator. I bought it for a song from my son's future father-in-law. It's very bright and the crosshairs are finer. It does kinda overwhelm the rifle, so it may not stay, but I'm gonna give it a good workout this spring. Originally, I was going to put it on a 17 hmr, but I'm not sure I want one, now. Too destructive on squirrels, and I don't get to shoot prairie dogs[ just limb chickensgrin ]! We'll see what I think this spring. Gonna try for 50 limbers next season! laugh

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Way back in the olden days when I lived in the south and hunted squirrels 50 for a season was a pretty reasonable estimate..I only remember counting once and stopped at 35 a month into the season. Makes me wonder how many I killed when I was in college and augmenting my poor college kids diet with squirrel meat. A lot of it... whistle

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ingwe, was that before the second room was built on that school?

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dat was mean, and you'll smoke a turd in hell for it...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
These were prehistoric, Pleistocene squirrels, right? Big, sabertoothed critters?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Tried a new recipe, yesterday. Man it was good, if you like beans.

3-4 squirrels
1/2 lb. black eyed peas
3 med onions
1/2 pack frozen sweet peas
stick of smoked sausage
2-3 med carrots

I boiled the squirrels long enough to bone out. Dredged the squirrels in flour and fried in skillet, until brown. Took them out to drain, then diced the onions and cooked in skillet until about 1/2 done. Cooked the peas per the directions[boiled 2 min. then let stand off flame for 15 min]. Threw it all in a crockpot. Added the frozen peas, diced up the carrots, and sliced the smoked sausage in 1/8" slices. Tossed them in the pot with everything else, and added 1 tsp of garlic salt and 1 tsp. of black pepper. Stirred everything up and set the crockpot on low for about 8 hrs. Made some Martha White corn bread, and put the cooked stuff over the top.

DELICIOUS!!! grin

If ya got some extra squirrels, give it a try. The original recipe left the squirrels bone in, but I didn't want the little bones in the pot.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 02/28/13.
Page 17 of 17 1 2 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (10gaugemag, 99Ozarks, 257robertsimp, akshooting, 15 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,756
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.