Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We picked up the new pup today. Okay well not exactly a pup as he is 2. With my current work schedule and that of my girlfriends we decided it just wasnt fair to get a young pup. Ended up going to look at a litter at a local kennel with a buddy and the trainer mentioned he had this dog that needed a good home.

It was the trainers personal dog and has had a virtual butt load of training and shot birds. His marking skills are superb and has force fetch done and a lot of casting training. I couldn't ignore the awesome price not to mention that the trainer is local and offered to let me come train with him any time.

He's all machine in the field but settles right down when told to sit. He LOVES attention and will fit in awesome at our home.

Only got one quick picture before we loaded up for home but I will be posting a bunch more in the next few days.

So without further delay, meet my new duck hunting buddy Onyx.

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah buddy!
He looks good.
Now to get the bonding going on, and have a fun life together.
Btw, i did the same thing. I bought trap as a year and a half old, already started.
Smart move for those that haven't the time for a pup.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice looking pooch, but ......blind????

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Oh he's not blind as in cant see, i was referring to a duck blind in my thread title.

He is out of a multiple FC- AFC - NFC bloodline. Both parents hold Master Hunter titles as do the vast majority of the dogs in his pedigree. His sister i believe has 1 pass left on her Senior Hunter then will start Masters this summer.

Two last pics for the night. All tucked in to his new kennel until we know for sure he is house broke. He isn't too enthused about it as he likes to be close but our house is only 9 months old so....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Today we built a wood chip bin as Onyx has learned to void in chips. Seems he may like the chips better then his dog bed for napping so we may soon extend that bin to span the end of his kennel.

[Linked Image]

Did a little obedience work today as he has had time off am is a little rusty. He's such a cool dog. So mellow on his short trips in the house and just loves to cuddle but is an animal when working.

[Linked Image]

He absolutely lives and breaths to retrieve.
[Linked Image]

Hopefully I will have some better pics of my new boy soon

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a lot of great times ahead for both of you. cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
5 days in and Onyx is adapting well. Still mainly working obedience on the leash to reinforce that but good god does he love to retrieve.

[Linked Image]

He's adapting well to life in the house after being a kennel dog for all of his life. Nights are still a little rough in the kennel as he isn't used to being alone and we clearly have some separation anxiety issues to work through.

[Linked Image]

Gee doesn't he look so traumatized.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice. !

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Dump the indoor kennel at night idea. You'll do it eventually anyway. smile

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I wish I full trusted him in the house overnight not to pee. He's only 5 days removed from being in a 5x10 kennel every night and had never seen the inside of a house prior to last Thursday

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
They catch on pretty quick at that age. If you don't have a problem during the day, I doubt you will at night.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We still have the rare attempt to soil and let me tell ya momma ain't happy when he tries to piss on her fancy furniture. He'll I can't even set on it and am jealous I can't piss on it.....

He's doing well all in all and I'm guessing by week end he will be in with us at night

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice find. Good luck and congrats.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you sir. He managed to sleep inside last night for the first time with nary an issue.

He is still a little sporadic on eating, he will hesitate to eat for a day or so then eat normally. I think that is a virtue of his being used to being in his kennel with 30 other dogs around so meal time was a group event.

We went to friends for dinne last night an put his food down with the other dogs and he ate it right up.

Trying the tough luck approach for a few days. his food goes down for 30 minutes and if he doesnt eat we pick it up until the next meal with no dog treats in between. guessing he will quickly figure out that he needs to eat when given food or he loses out.

i know he wont starve but its still a bit peculiar.

Otherwise we love him and life is good.

J
J
I unquestionably cherish Buddy, Ivy, Mojo, Jimmy, and the group. It is a split snortin� great story! I spent the day meandering through my remembrances of my first adore while perusing Blind Buddy. It without a doubt afffected me quite profoundly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how's onyx doing ?

haven't seen any updates.

when is your first hunt test ?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Splatt,

He's doing Awesome so far, running triple marks almost flawlessly. Junior tests shouldn't be a huge stretch so we have been working on senior stuff level stuff and starting back on handling soon.

Not sure when we will run the first test but thinking April work depending.

How's Trap doing for you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He is great.
Next hunt test's are April 27 and 28.
He should get his last 2 passes and his title.
Gotta find out if i can also enter him in a senior level test at the same time.
If so, pass or fail, I'll know what to work on for the fall tests.
Going on 10 months of owning him. He has adjusted well. No potty in the house, no chewing, and unlike a dog, never barks.....
He is super quiet. Whine and groans when we play, kinda like trying to talk.

Keep us posted on onyx. I like life stories of older (not puppies) dogs adapting/bonding to a new life.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Will do

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well?
How is everything going?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.