Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

i would not buy a model 70 without knowing it's provenance. nfw.
Gunbroker? nfw,

BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by boltman
I see the auction has been relisted and the bidding is about $400 more than the end of the previous auction. It's sort of like someone has a gun for sale, they show it to you and you ask, "what do you want for it?" And they don't answer you... frown

I think a lot of guys are hiding a super inflated reserve and listing a gun on auction to get an "appraisal" by the buying public. Auction ends, stick it back in the safe with a copy of the auction for the wife/widow to help with liquidation later. Lends a degree of credibility to a rifle's value for insurance purposes too, don't you think? I won't even waste my time on a hidden reserve auction for these reasons. I hesitated to expound on this in public, but I urge you tempted to use some scruples and resist this tactic.

LOL
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I see the auction has been relisted and the bidding is about $400 more than the end of the previous auction. It's sort of like someone has a gun for sale, they show it to you and you ask, "what do you want for it?" And they don't answer you... frown

I think a lot of guys are hiding a super inflated reserve and listing a gun on auction to get an "appraisal" by the buying public. Auction ends, stick it back in the safe with a copy of the auction for the wife/widow to help with liquidation later. Lends a degree of credibility to a rifle's value for insurance purposes too, don't you think? I won't even waste my time on a hidden reserve auction for these reasons. I hesitated to expound on this in public, but I urge you tempted to use some scruples and resist this tactic.

Interesting concept and there may be some truth to it. I've often wondered the same thing myself...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Another common technique, or tactic or ploy (take your pick) with reserve auctions is to have one or more shills bid it up to just short of the reserve. An intrepid bidder sees what looks like a lot of bidding activity and this helps him believe the gun is actually worth that much. He enters his bid and the reserve is tripped and surprise, surprise, no one bids after him. He becomes the, "winner" smile Many auctions have what looks like a lot of bids when in fact there is only one actual bid wink Caveat Emptor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Seems like a big waste of time for everyone. crazy

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had a guy tell me he uses the tactic above.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I see the seller shut the auction down early... someone here successful with making an offer?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, I told him "GFY", he must have conceded.....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have often wondered how it seems that many guns get put up for very low initial bids.

I think there is a lot of shill bidding

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 12/01/12.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Local guy here in town has an original like that one that is pretty pristine.. claims his grand dad bought it new in 1941, and used it for ALL of his hunting needs... from Elk down to deer...

it has a 6 power early "Alaskan" scope mounted on top...can't remember if it is a Lyman or Leupold...

He sure loves to run into me at the range, so he can have someone drool over it... he no longer hunts, just collects rifles and restores them, mainly Military Surplus stuff...

The Model 70 is chambered in 220 Swift....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In 1984 my wife's uncle in MT had a big safe full of M70s.
He said that when he went to the Vegas show to try to buy more, there was nothing any good, and guys were trying to buy his.

I can only imagine things have gotten more competitive in the last 28 years.

I shot a lot of his prairie dogs with his 220 Swift and his 243.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.