Leica Sport Optics.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7089749 - 11/19/12 06:40 AM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: plainsman456]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: TAXHELLWI. USA
Originally Posted By: butchlambert1
Some smiths would have sold the guy a special order magazine limiter.
I'm sure some would..

I don't do things like that.. Honesty keeps me very busy.. smile

Originally Posted By: plainsman456
Remember,it's those type of people that get you closer to that piece of real estate.

Sometimes when folks bring in their firearms they just need a good cleaning.
And if that's the case, I tell 'em just that..

Never had a beef by bein' honest... Can't see changin' now..

NSA & Zero - Hey! GFY..
NRA Endowment member.
Ex - USN(TM3-SS) USS Razorback SS-394 '68-'69

#7090862 - 11/19/12 01:23 PM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: Redneck]
magshooter1 Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: South Arkansas
Aaahh the old Jammaster or Scattermatic 742!

#7096405 - 11/21/12 03:58 AM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: magshooter1]
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Fortunately, I seldom have to order gun parts from the factory, but recent experiences have left me wondering.

It took me dealing with four employees and three separate shipments to get a couple of Marlin parts from Remlin. The employees tried to be helpful, but only the fourth got it all together. Had a similar experience with Rossi, and never did get the parts.

I believe part of the problem is that the companies don't have and provide adequate, workable, schematics and parts lists. I went back and forth on the phone and listened to the employees going tap, tap, tap, on their computers trying to identify the parts. The schematics are typically for a generic model, not the variants, and that's a big part of the problem.

But what do I know? Must drive the professional smiths crazy dealing with this stuff on a regular basis.

Paul

#7096579 - 11/21/12 05:31 AM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: Paul39]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: Paul39
Must drive the professional smiths crazy dealing with this stuff on a regular basis.

Paul
What helps us is that we usually have very good knowledge of exactly what we're askin' for. In my case, I have a full set of most makers' parts lists so I can specify the exact part number I need.. Saves the idiots from attempting to decipher what a customer is askin' for.. Most firearms owners that I've run into have no idea what to call a certain part. And it DOES take a while to learn the proper name of every part..

Only rarely will I get a wrong part in - maybe once every two years.. Guess I've been lucky..

NSA & Zero - Hey! GFY..
NRA Endowment member.

#7096655 - 11/21/12 06:00 AM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: Redneck]
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Makes sense, but it confirms what I said about having a proper schematic and parts list for the specific firearm.

Both of my recent cases involved a new rifle that came with an owner's manual with a generic schematic that didn't show the parts for my particular rifle. The Rossi has a schematic, but no parts number reference list. I don't understand why it would be so difficult or costly to pack a specific schematic and list with a new gun; many come that way or used to. At least you should be able to go to the company's website and get a link you can access with the gun's serial number.

It ain't rocket science. In my situation, there's no way a cap or tip should be confused with a tenon, which is what one employee swore was the case.

Paul

#7096935 - 11/21/12 07:41 AM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: Paul39]
dsink Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: North Carolina
Back when they started talking about coming out with the new xmark trigger, we were at the SHOT show and went in to Remingtons area.

I asked a young kid in a cheap suit that didnt fit him if they had any of the new triggers beouse I would like to see one. Sure, he says, right over here. He hands me one on an action attached to a wooden block.

I made the comment when I looked at it "good, it dosnt lock the bolt" he said, "we have never made a trigger that locked the bolt."

There was a time when you had shooters running Remington, now you just have employess working there.

#7097330 - 11/21/12 09:47 AM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: Paul39]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: Paul39
Makes sense, but it confirms what I said about having a proper schematic and parts list for the specific firearm.

Both of my recent cases involved a new rifle that came with an owner's manual with a generic schematic that didn't show the parts for my particular rifle. The Rossi has a schematic, but no parts number reference list. I don't understand why it would be so difficult or costly to pack a specific schematic and list with a new gun; many come that way or used to. At least you should be able to go to the company's website and get a link you can access with the gun's serial number.

It ain't rocket science. In my situation, there's no way a cap or tip should be confused with a tenon, which is what one employee swore was the case.

Paul
Years ago several manufacturers did place a schematic and parts sheet with the firearm.. I think they got away from it due to the fact that, by the time many owners needed a part, the price noted on their list was about 1/10 of what it NOW costs..

I just sold a Firestar M43 and part of the docs that came with it was a full-blown schematic and parts list w/prices.. Man, were THOSE cheap.. laugh laugh

Also, nowadays, many manufacturers refuse to sell certain (if not all) parts to owners - marking them internally for 'gunsmith sale only'...

Oh, and try to get some Ruger parts; if it isn't related to sights or simple screws, fuggetaboutit..

NSA & Zero - Hey! GFY..
NRA Endowment member.

#7097336 - 11/21/12 09:48 AM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: dsink]
Redneck Offline
Campfire Oracle

Originally Posted By: dsink

I made the comment when I looked at it "good, it dosnt lock the bolt" he said, "we have never made a trigger that locked the bolt.".
LMAO.. Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about..

You'd think, at least at a show like the SHOT show, that they'd actually have all their people attending KNOW what the heck they're talkin' about..

NSA & Zero - Hey! GFY..
NRA Endowment member.

#7097356 - 11/21/12 09:54 AM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: Redneck]
Paul39 Offline
Campfire Outfitter

That doesn't make complete sense. ID'ing the part is the main thing. The price comes later, and can be expected to change over time. Not a reason to fail to provide a decent schematic, IMO.

Paul

#7109005 - 11/24/12 08:20 PM Re: Is Rem staffed with idiots??? [Re: plainsman456]
rainierrifleco Offline
Campfire Ranger

Loc: Gig Harbor WA/SE Neb
yes indeed......

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
177 registered (1flier, 30Gibbs, 44automag, 1B, 25 invisible), 696 Guests and 422 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
49498 Members
71 Forums
612162 Topics
8752806 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 04:36 PM

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.