Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
congrats on the buck!!!

With over 100 bowkills under my belt and trailing many more for friends( IE we hunted in a group of 8 bowhunters typically) let me just give you this.

Pushing a gut shot deer can lead to loss. So can leaving it overnight or too long. Remember I"m in TX so its warm too. Gut shots are simple to find. If you know its gut shot. The deer typically beds inside of 70 yards in my experiences. If thick, quicker than that. YOu have to SNEAK out of the stand if so inclined, the OPPOSITE way the deer went. Don't even look for the arrow because the deer may be 20 yards behind it. Spooking it out of its first bed early can lead to never finding it.

Last time I did the gut shot, was probably close to 20 years ago now thankfully. I waited until dark, and went away from the doe. Even though it was away froim camp also.

Then finally, give it 8 hours. Not 4. Not 6. Not 7.5. But 8 hours. 8 hours we've found every last one dead in their bed. 100 yards or less from the impact. Even in open grass fields.

And yes, one time we lost a deer to pigs. But IMHO we'd have lost that deer regardless if we trailed it right away anyway.

And trust me we've tried the 6 hours. ANd the 7 hours and every now and then they are dead, but not always. Did it once because the hunter wanted to get home at a certain time on Sunday evening... 7 hours into it. Found her bedded up, but alive. He shot at 20 yards and deflected. Mind you she was head down curled up under a cedar tree. I was at full draw with a pin on her chest when he released. She bailed out so fast I never did get a shot off...

Nuff said, hope it helps in the future. Hope you never have to deal with the thunk again too.

Good dear, congrats and congrats on not giving up! I"ve trailed gut shots over 1.5 miles until recovering them....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great buck and great advice here, rost.

I'll take heed in the future. 8 hours it is....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
rost,

You were close - he first bedded right at 90 yards from where he was shot...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
unfortunately I"ve trailed a handful of gut shots. No one wants to ever have to do it. But it happens.

Once I learned to totally trust 8 hours, its been foolproof. With the exception of the pigs.

I don't even have to have a trail to follow, I can grid out 100 or so yards pretty easy.

And the one doe I watched that jumped the string... stayed in an open field under a small mesquite through a norther and thunderstorm...

Having had to trail them aftger they've jumped a few times.... it can become an all day tedious task.

I actually enjoy the puzzle personally, but sucks if you never find em.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice buck K7, Congrats!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495

I actually enjoy the puzzle personally, but sucks if you never find em.

As do I. Thx for words of advice!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
congrats on making a great kill shot and getting the deer.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
716 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.