24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How would you compare it to the FX3/VX3 Leupolds?
Zeiss Conquest?

I have never tested a high dollar scope so any comparison would be useful.

Even if it only gained you 5-10 minutes of shootable light, that would, of course be great.

BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
How would you compare it to the FX3/VX3 Leupolds?
Zeiss Conquest?

I have never tested a high dollar scope so any comparison would be useful.

Even if it only gained you 5-10 minutes of shootable light, that would, of course be great.

Sam you will see a difference between the high end Euro's and the typical FX/VX Leupolds. I don't describe this stuff too well,but let's just say some of them let you see with greater detail and resolution,and in some instances well past legal shooting light.I have noticed the recent VX3 Leupolds are pretty darned good however, but still not in a class with the Big 3 Euro's.

Never had a Conquest around at the same time as a S&B but have compared the Conquest sides by side over a full winter with a Swaro PH 2.5-10X vs a 3-9 Conquest. The Zeiss was very good bbut as light got really bad,really after legal shooting light,I could still see back into the trees with greater detail and resolution with the Swaro,and the reticle was still very visible....the Conquest allowed me to "see" but not as well,and the reticle "quit".

All this scope talk on here got me so confused lately I threw up my hands this weekend and bought another 6x36 Leupold.... whistle grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Bob.

I was thinking the giant S&B might make a great hayfield and nighttime varmint scope.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sam I have never tried that but have looked through those Euro's at night a bit.Good suggestion because back here, in winter, we can shoot coyotes at night.

Don't forget the Europeans actually hunt at night,so that has a lot to do with why they design those scopes the way they do....I bet with a snowy background that 8x56 would work really well for that stuff in your country.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I bet with a snowy background that 8x56 would work really well for that stuff in your country.

Exactly what I am thinking Bob.

Gets dark about 5PM this time of year so it would be pretty handy with a little snow on the ground.

Now I just gotta dig $1500 outta the couch cushions.....grin

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by high_country_
Praise the lord that my 6-24X56 zeiss is "good enough" for me.

I'd hope so; it's one one of the best scopes made!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sam: Spare change fallin' outta the Levis(?) grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I bought my Swaro PH8x56 from member Rifle,(thanks)thinking I would give it a try as a last light food plot optic. I have never owned a large objective fixed scope before.Put it on a Sako L61R,300H&H, overkill for southern whitetail but should avoid tracking in the dark! I am more than impressed w/ the performance. Saturday sundown was at 4:54 CDT,I had a nice 3 yr old 8pt in field (not quiet what I am after,maybe next year) and some hogs came in the field around 5pm. I stayed around and could have taken a shot on the hogs at 5:45 or later at 150yds. The contrast was impressive,though I would not shoot a deer that late. the scope was actually better at that point than my Pentax 10x50 DCF SP binos, I am sure a S&B would perform equally as well.
Our landowner has pretty tight restrictions on inside spread and 8pt or better, so I am hoping the scope will help in judging.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 11/22/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cruiser that's pretty impressive!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if S&B charged 15 grand for a scope people would still buy it, just like people buy a mercedes or BMW thinking its the most reliable car out there when in fact the opposite is true in most cases. I know this is going to piss some folks off but a rifle scope is a sighting instrument for your rifle, total optical quality should be in your binoculars rather than obsessing about it in your rifle scope. The only advantage to a more expensive scope is tracking and zero repeatability that is at least if that brand of scope is known especially for that, absent of needing that which most people don't I see no need to spend an obscene amount of money on a scope. find the animal and judge the trophy with your binoculars and as long as the glass in your rifle scope is equal to a conquest or elite 4200 all will be well.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Cruiser that's pretty impressive!

+1

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
if S&B charged 15 grand for a scope people would still buy it, just like people buy a mercedes or BMW thinking its the most reliable car out there when in fact the opposite is true in most cases. I know this is going to piss some folks off but a rifle scope is a sighting instrument for your rifle, total optical quality should be in your binoculars rather than obsessing about it in your rifle scope. The only advantage to a more expensive scope is tracking and zero repeatability that is at least if that brand of scope is known especially for that, absent of needing that which most people don't I see no need to spend an obscene amount of money on a scope. find the animal and judge the trophy with your binoculars and as long as the glass in your rifle scope is equal to a conquest or elite 4200 all will be well.

Cummins what you say is absolutely true....but for some guys, and where they hunt,the best optics are none too good,and for them worth the chedda.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
total optical quality should be in your binoculars rather than obsessing about it in your rifle scope.

The trouble with that is binos dont go bang.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (160user, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 13 invisible), 1,693 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,775
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.