-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The small base in Germany I was stationed at in the 70's used to get buzzed by a Luftwaffe 104 on a regular basis, which excited the Bn Redeye section a great deal. I found out later that the pilot was from a nearby farm town and was just saying "Hi" to friends and family.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Mesabi
The small base in Germany I was stationed at in the 70's used to get buzzed by a Luftwaffe 104 on a regular basis, which excited the Bn Redeye section a great deal. I found out later that the pilot was from a nearby farm town and was just saying "Hi" to friends and family.

Which small base? Sembach, Zwei, Hahn?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Herzo Arty Base.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ah, Army.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
The Navy F-4J's and earlier would howl too; very distinctive and I believe, at least in the F-4, it was due to the BLC system which use engine bleed air blown over the leading edge slats and trailing edge flaps to energize the airflow over the airfoil in order to delay stall. I loved that sound. In the late '70's and early '80's around Oceana, Va. you'd hear it all the time.

In the F-4N (the oldest version I flew), you could see the smoke trail 20+ miles away but in ACM what we did to eliminate it was go into "burner" at about 20 miles or so and the smoke went away. If someone was coming pretty much directly at you and you were looking down the smoke trail, you could see them coming for a long way but you could tell when he hit 20 miles 'cause they'd disappear. The J_79-GE-10B of the "J" and "S" versions I flew practically eliminated the smoke problem of earlier A/C.

We were on an ACM det around '80 or '81 in Misawa, Japan and a 4 plane of 104's came into the break ("overhead pattern" for you Air Force guys) and it was pretty cool. Looked like some pencils with wings flying by.

A few years later while on cruise in the eastern Med we "fought" some Turkish 104's over Turkey. They tried their best but with a turn radius of about the size of a county, it wasn't much of a fight against a Tomcat. They spent most of the time recovering from out of control flight.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's funny how aircraft can have a distinctive sound to them. It still surprises my wife after 40+ years that I can often ID a plane just by its sound. She'll say something like, "Is that a business jet?" and I'll say, "Nope, that's an A-10." And when we go outside to see, it's just what I'd said.

We have both the Ogden civilian airport and Hill AFB right near us, and so we get all kinds of mixed traffic overhead. There's a guy at the Ogden field who has three (THREE!) fully restored British Vampire jets. Now there's a characteristic howl!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Barak
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Barak
Looks like some of them have red "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT" streamers hanging from their wingtips just inboard of the tip tanks when they're maneuvering after landing.

Do you know what those are?

Safety pins for explosive charges to blow the tip tanks off is my guess. While not a standard procedure, I suspect it is the tactic of last resort in an asymmetric fuel situation. With that wing I suspect that would get, ummm, sporty landing with a full tip.

Huh. Explosives next to the fuel tanks, and setting them off is the preferred option? Interesting.

The bolts that hold the tanks on have a small charge in them to shear the bolt when you pickle the tanks. The safety pins are removed during the final end of runway check.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I love the sounds of a couple of J-79's in burner. Talk about turning massive amounts of JP into noise and heat!!!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by T LEE
I still like the Phantom!

I like USN Phantom's.......to my 64 yr old eyes that is best looking bird.

When they would make the break at the 180 the trail of soot was clearly visible.....the sqd had J's.

�......"The safety pins are removed during the final end of runway check."........and re-inserted before final chocking. We had an ordie or a troubleshooter waiting at the ramp turn in with a bag of streamers.....on tierra firma.

Last edited by chapped_lips; 11/23/12.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Can't trust them pilots. Flipping switched that don't need to be flipped... grin

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
J-79's..... Isn't that what all jet's should sound like? wink

Couple of our birds.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For TLEE

The F4 on the USS Coral Sea

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
RF-4's were the sharpest of the Rhino's. They weren't called the "Sports model" for nothing. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Our base housing was off to the side of RAF Lakenheath's runway. Seems like every time my wife put our daughter down for a nap the dmn F-4's would wake her up... grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Can't trust them pilots. Flipping switched that don't need to be flipped... grin

Mutually shared anticipation.......some tweets could read the color code but couldn't distinguish the meaning between CNI SW and NOSE WHL EXT SW crazy

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by chapped_lips

Mutually shared anticipation.......some tweets could read the color code but couldn't distinguish the meaning between CNI SW and NOSE WHL EXT SW crazy

Probably why we had some switch guards safety wired closed with thin copper wire. Prevents accidental activation yet easily accessible if and when needed.

Or that was the general idea anyways...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Probably why we had some switch guards safety wired closed with thin copper wire. Prevents accidental activation yet easily accessible if and when needed.

Careful. Those switches get shear wire, not safety wire! Had a friend who had to blow the gear down on an A-3 Skywarrior with the aux system. Tried to raise the lever to no avail. Yep, safety wired. Broke out ye olde kabar and cut the wire and was able to safely extend the gear.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Maybe "safety wired" was the wrong term... grin

We'd wire the switch guards closed with fine copper wire which was easily broken if the need arose. We'd use safety wire pliers to accomplish the task at hand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (308xray, 2ndwind, 240NMC, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 28 invisible), 2,040 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,717
Posts18,457,100
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.