Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ColdCase,

Try around 35-38 grains of IMR or H4227 with the 220 Hornady.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We have 4 #1's in the safe....a pair of 7X57's, one is the wife's everyday deer rifle and one I used for deer for about 15 yrs running. They are nice handling, accurate and downright just a nice blind rifle. Accounted for about 23 bucks between us. I also have a 7mm rem mag 1B (won in a raffle) and a 300 Win. Mag 1B that was a Christmas gift from employees in better times. I'd never part with the .300 for that reason...but neither of the Mags ever got the work up they deserved. The #1 is still one of my favs......

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Lance1,
You didn't mention if this would be your first rifle or your only rifle.
If you handload and use a 200 gr Sierra flat nose recoil would not be an issue and it would be a fantastic deer rifle. Try 40 hrs. Imr 4759 @ 2200 fps it will be fun to shoot for practice.
Recoil with factory ammo shouldn't be an issue because you should be doing your
practice shooting from the standing position anyway if you will be hunting dangerous animals.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
L
lance1 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by whelennut
Lance1,
You didn't mention if this would be your first rifle or your only rifle.
If you handload and use a 200 gr Sierra flat nose recoil would not be an issue and it would be a fantastic deer rifle. Try 40 hrs. Imr 4759 @ 2200 fps it will be fun to shoot for practice.
Recoil with factory ammo shouldn't be an issue because you should be doing your
practice shooting from the standing position anyway if you will be hunting dangerous animals.
whelennut

This wouldn't be my first rifle, currently my hunting rifles consist of a .243 & .308. Besides considering the elegance of a #1; I'm right handed & left eye dominant, & a #1 would allow me to shoot ambidextrously while considering the move to full time left hand shooting. As for the caliber choice of .375 h&h, I'm still debating. This past weekend, I was able to shoot a #1 in .375 h&h and I really didn't think it was all that bad (270 grain bullet; unsure of powder). But then again for the past several years I duck hunt with a 870 shooting 3.5" shells. I pretty sure I'm sold on the #1, I just need to figure out the caliber choice. Thanks for the input.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
PJ,

You see a lot of hunters take down the rifle from their shoulder (to admire the shot?), grasp the bolt with the thumb and forefinger, fiddle around getting a sight picture because their stock does not fit, and, in general, wasting time. In the cowboy movies you even see the actors take lever actions down from their shoulders to flip the lever, which is really dumb because one advantage of a lever is that you can stay exactly in your cheek-weld position.

keeping your target in the scope with your 458 is something few can do. I can't keep a moving target, especially in head high brush scoped after recoil. I can have trouble followng game even without recoil. I'm guessing you would have had to have shot thousands of rounds to acquire those skills.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thank you, John.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bricktop, the 300th meridian runs through the ranch. In addition to the basics you mention there are numerous differences between the regulations in TX/OK, down to shooting coyotes as varmints. Just a few involve legal shooting hours, blaze orange, vehicle utilization, land owner/tenant exemptions, and the list goes on. Fortunately, most of the state line has been bull dozed or brush hogged for easy ID, but the south mile to mile and a half is very rough country and unless you are looking at a GPS device, it is easy to stray.

It is just simpler to use food plots and feeders to lure the Okie deer across the state line. Longer seasons, shooting hours, and I have a lifetime of what is kosher imprinted into my brain. Small changes are easy to adjust to. Major changes, not so much. Or maybe it is the other way round?

Next time I am out that way (I am going to hunt boss rancher's place in TX this weekend), perhaps I need to sit doen to a coffee with an OK warden. Sometimes the computer/printed regulations are interpeted a little differently in real life. (Two things that come to mind is the coyote thing [a furbearer] and the handicap registration for my Mule. [TX does not register Kawasaki Mules, without modificationsto get street legal]). jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
lance1:
Don't overlook the #1 S in 45-70. It looks like the Tropical and is lots of fun to load for.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jt402
Bricktop, the 300th meridian runs through the ranch. In addition to the basics you mention there are numerous differences between the regulations in TX/OK, down to shooting coyotes as varmints. Just a few involve legal shooting hours, blaze orange, vehicle utilization, land owner/tenant exemptions, and the list goes on. Fortunately, most of the state line has been bull dozed or brush hogged for easy ID, but the south mile to mile and a half is very rough country and unless you are looking at a GPS device, it is easy to stray.

It is just simpler to use food plots and feeders to lure the Okie deer across the state line. Longer seasons, shooting hours, and I have a lifetime of what is kosher imprinted into my brain. Small changes are easy to adjust to. Major changes, not so much. Or maybe it is the other way round?

Next time I am out that way (I am going to hunt boss rancher's place in TX this weekend), perhaps I need to sit doen to a coffee with an OK warden. Sometimes the computer/printed regulations are interpeted a little differently in real life. (Two things that come to mind is the coyote thing [a furbearer] and the handicap registration for my Mule. [TX does not register Kawasaki Mules, without modificationsto get street legal]). jack
You think you're quite the deep thinker and you're trying to make things complicated when they're not. "The list" exists within your head. It takes about a sixth-grade education to 'cipher Okie hunting regulations; maybe that's all you lack. The nonsense you enumerated? LAUGHABLY ABSURD. At best. (Actually, it's just STUPID.) There are no regulations on "shooting coyotes as varmints," that's something silly you invented. There's no season or limit on coyotes in Oklahoma. Hunter orange is 400 square inches on Oklahoma, just as in Texas.

I'm not sure what you expect to accomplish by having "coffee with an OK warden," other than to let him know you have a high opinion of yourself.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Had a #1a in 243. Thing grouped like a shotgun, was loud, and actually kicked hard for a 243. Hated that gun and so I sold it. Replaced it with an M77MKII and never looked back.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I admired the Number One when it was first introduced but didn't get a chance to buy one until 1971 when I bought a 1A in 30/06. It was a very nice rifle which shot poorly but gave me a chance to figure out what a Number One needed to shoot better. I got it shooting well then traded to a fellow who really wanted it and traded me a brand new 1B in 6mm Remington plus some folding money for it.
The 6mm was a great rifle and I hunted with it a lot (enough to decide I didn't like 6mm's for big game)and shot it at turkey shoots all over and won a lot. I finally burned the barrel right out and decided to go bigger so I re-barreled it to 45x2 7/8. As I recall, my best load was 86 grains of H322 and a 350 Hornady. Velocity was near to 2700 fps.It kicked plenty but was not all that unpleasant to shoot. I never got to shoot anything but a black bear with it but the black bear seemed satisfied with the performance.
I like the Number One although I would look for early models if I was wanting to buy one. The fit and finish prior to 1975 is far better than the later rifles. I have one now which is a later model and it will take at least two days of remedial work to make it acceptable.
I really think the medium bores are best suited to the Number One but I think they are the best for everything. I would feel pretty good about a 338 Winchester, I think. GD

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Bricktop, you are the one trying to simplify things. You are wrong on hunter orange as a general requirement in Texas. Orange applies in Texas only on public lands. There aren't many! OK requires orange everywhere. I understand the differences. In our case, a few steps one way or the other makes things either legal or illegal. That is basically my point. Pardon my bad example of "not speaking Okie." Let me change that to not speaking "brick." Good day, gone, got to get my pack together. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jt402
Bricktop, you are the one trying to simplify things. You are wrong on hunter orange as a general requirement in Texas. Orange applies in Texas only on public lands. There aren't many! OK requires orange everywhere. I understand the differences. In our case, a few steps one way or the other makes things either legal or illegal. That is basically my point. Pardon my bad example of "not speaking Okie." Let me change that to not speaking "brick." Good day, gone, got to get my pack together. jack
Don't have to simplify anything. I read things for what they are, I don't try to create smoke where there ain't fire, which is exactly what you're doing. I don't assume there's some kind of tea leaves and tarot cards that need interpreted.

Since you're so hung up on semantics and minutiae, WHEN REQUIRED, hunter orange is 400 square inches in Oklahoma and in Texas. Savvy? Nod your head if you understand. However, the point I made remains as solid as a rock -- like what occupies your head -- there's nothing complicated or strange for Okie hunting regulations. Period. It's merely a matter of paying the necessary fees. Exclamation point. I explained this all to my dog and he understands. I think he can concentrate because he's neutered. Maybe that's your hangup.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Bricktop them texan's set on top of a 2 ton corn pile thats yellow. Maybe thats why they dont need it!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
jt402, i think you mean the 100th meridian if you are talking the line between okla and texas, not the 300th

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a 1-H in .375 H&H that I bought used about 5 years ago. The first things I did to it were to install a 16 ounce mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock and replace the original recoil pad with a Decelerator. The additional weight of the mercury reducer in the butt improved the balance of the rifle tremendously as well as helps to reduce felt recoil. Rifle is a dream to shoot.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (222Sako, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.