Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a couple of deer hearts in the fridge soaking in salt water. I want to cook them up, but wanted to check with you trusted cooks first. I've tried the slicing/seasoned flour/frying method and it wasn't great. I'd like a stuff and baked recipe, so watcha got that is proven to be delicious? Thanks!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you haven't already et them here is a way that I like. First par boil or pressure cook so they aren't so rubbery. Then chunk them up and add them to some good stuffing. Stove top will do in a pinch but homemade is way better.
Run the dish in the oven at @325 for twenty minutes or so.

There is a crock pot way to do this if you don't want to pre cook.

Quando Omni Moritati
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I haven't et them yet. smile I was waiting to get one ready for lunch after seeing what you guys suggested. I have the chance to try two different recipes. I've got stove top in the cupboard, but have the know how to make good homemade stuffing, just don't have the time to do it today.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, the first attempt is in the crock pot. 1/2 a box of Stove Top prepared, heart cleaned up and chewy stuff cut off. Stuff with Stove Top, tied with twine, dusted inside with sage, salt, and pepper, dusted outside with salt and pepper. I'll let you know how it turns out at lunch!

Selmer

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I et one last week...the day after it stopped pumping. I sliced it up and fried it in butter and leek powder (I make this myself...AMAZINGLY potent stuff!)

Then onto some good rye bread with spicy mustard.

Thought it was one of the best heart sandwiches I've ever eaten to be honest.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
IC B2

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hope you get some more info here, because I have one, too. Meanwhile I'll do a search since I know this has been discussed before. OTOH, the search function is lousy here.

Last edited by sse; 11/19/12.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cut in small chunks
Salt pepper
Copped onions and jalapeno
Butter

Wrap in foil, toss in ashes or on grill for an hour or so.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I soak them in red wine over night. Dry them and lay out on a paper towel for a bit. Slice thin and quick saute in butter. Ahead of time saute' some onions and mushrooms and set aside. After saut�ing the thin sliced heart pieces, deglaze the pan with your left over wine that was used for the marinade. Throw the mushrooms and onions in the pan with the wine and reduce. Serve the sliced heart with the mushroom reduction.

Key note....Should be served rare to med rare so that it doesn't turn out tough.

Get out there and mix 'em up!
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Check this one out: http://honest-food.net/2012/06/13/grilled-deer-heart-recipe/

Hoping I can give it a shot tomorrow.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I never used to like hearts (whitetail deer, moose, or caribou), but I have had smoked moose heart that was out of this world.

It must have had quite a heavy brining before smoking -- eating it was a little like a very nice smoked ham. Eating just one slice was like trying to eat just ONE potato chip -- could not be done!

John

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did two deer hearts today...trimmed them all up, cut into cubes, browned in coconut oil, deglazed pan with red wine, then added butter, a lot of minced garlic, and threw the cubes back in the pan...wow, pure goodness. My two boys, 6 & 8, got forks and before too long it was all gone. Don't know too many youngsters that fancy heart meat, but mine sure do!

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by vairboy
Check this one out: http://honest-food.net/2012/06/13/grilled-deer-heart-recipe/

Hoping I can give it a shot tomorrow.

Man, does that look good...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I clean and slice in thin slices. Saute in olive oil and butter with garlic, salt and pepper.
It does not last long on the plate out of the pan.
Good eats.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Make sure you slice them the right way...slicing them with the grain will make it tougher 'n hell.

Slice AGAINST the grain!

I'd be willing to bet that almost everyone who says that the heart is too tough to eat slices it the wrong way.

I'd rather have a bad day hunting than a good day working!
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
That and not overcooking it.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Finally made deer heart. I used EVOO, balsamic vinegar and fresh rosemary for a marinade. The idea was to quick sizzle the cubes of heart in EVOO just a few minutes and that's what I did. I didn't really care for the slight sweetness from the balsamic vinegar. I did add some shallot and de-glazed with a bit of red wine, so maybe that contributed.

But, the pleasant part was the mild flavor and tenderness of the meat. It had the texture of filet mignon, really nice. I'll go savory with some of the suggestions here the next time. You could just about cut the heart in 1/2 inch slabs and season and fry as you would a steak. Butter and mushrooms would fit the bill. Delicious.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just Roll in flour along with back strap and saute in butter
You can not tell the difference
Of course you slice thin
Whole heart is reallly tough.

Last edited by 1lasportsman; 12/16/12.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Does anyone who makes this get a tinny/metallic flavor? For some of the pieces, I got this...not bad, but not ideal.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I didn't get any hearts worth keeping this year, but want to pickle some in the canner. Nummy!

Larry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
fine chop and saut� in butter and fresh garlic ,S&P and fresh parsley for color. Flash with evoo or truffle oil at the end .

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.