24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That depends on the state... Federal laws do not control that at all. In CA the answer is no; In AK and most of the free world the answer is yes.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stumpman
Ok maybe I am blind or just can't read after wading through 17 pages of bickering back and forth.My question is.... Can't a long gun be shipped in the same state to a buyer from the seller without going through an FFL or does it have to go to an FFL even in same state?
The crux of this information is interstate shipping. However, if a state permits private, "FTF" sales, then yes, you most certainly may ship a firearm directly to that person.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Bricktop,if you keep doing this you will end up with a good reputation.
I better quit then.

Haha

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where can i read about shipping my revolver to myself from Washington to Arizona where i am a resident(a handgun, specifically), so i don't start something here?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Where can i read about shipping my revolver to myself from Washington to Arizona where i am a resident(a handgun, specifically), so i don't start something here?
"� 926A Interstate transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provisions of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver�s compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

"� 478.38 Transportation of firearms.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where such person may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thank you for that, but i should have been more clear so i could better understand your answer. I want to ship a handgun to myself, not transport it in a vehicle. i'm wondering if shipping a handgun to myself requires anything other than what shipping a longgun to myself requires...besides using a contract carrier.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 12/27/12.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
Thank you for that, but i should have been more clear so i could better understand your answer. I want to ship a handgun to myself, not transport it in a vehicle. i'm wondering if shipping a handgun to myself requires anything other than what shipping a longgun to myself requires...besides using a contract carrier.
  • Shipping is a lawful means of transport.
  • Nothing additional is required to ship to yourself, i.e. "transport" a handgun vice a long gun, save the services of a contract carrier.
  • Do not make this complicated.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thank you.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by Monashee
For those Campfire members unsure about shipping items to Canada from the US,the basic list of items that are forbidden for export to Canada without export documentation includes firearms and firearms parts(barrels,triggers,etc.), scopes, and reloading components(bullets,brass,primers).Items that are no problem to ship include binos,spotting scopes.rangefinders and reloading tools(dies,presses,etc.)This is not a complte list of course,but it covers the basics,I don't want to see a Campfire guy get spanked just because he doesn't understand the idiotic US Export laws.I hope this helps,Cheers....Monashee

Does this just apply to Canada, or is it all US exports? For instance, would shipping a butt plate, barrel band or sling swivel to Europe be in violation?

Jim H.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Quick question Bricktop--

I mucked my way thru this thing twice, and I like the way you say, "simplified, it means this...".

Is there a regulation, specifically, that allows a [non-licensee] to ship a long gun to an FFL holder? I know there is, I just can't determine which one it is.

This is in reference to an argument I had at the post office today. It is their stance that the [rifle or shotgun] that I want to ship has to go thru, or I (the shipper has to have) an FFL.

Please quote the specific reg pertaining to USPS so I can print it and take it to the post office. Thanks BT!

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukonal
Quick question Bricktop--

I mucked my way thru this thing twice, and I like the way you say, "simplified, it means this...".

Is there a regulation, specifically, that allows a [non-licensee] to ship a long gun to an FFL holder? I know there is, I just can't determine which one it is.

This is in reference to an argument I had at the post office today. It is their stance that the [rifle or shotgun] that I want to ship has to go thru, or I (the shipper has to have) an FFL.

Please quote the specific reg pertaining to USPS so I can print it and take it to the post office. Thanks BT!
Every single one is stated in my opening post on the first page along with citations from the '68 GCA and Domestic Mail Manual. They simply state that an interstate shipment of a firearm must be received by a valid federal firearms licensee.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got it-thanks. I already already copied and pasted all that to print out.

I was just wondering if I had missed something specifically, wading thru that legal mumbo jumbo. Thanks for taking the time to answer me, and post this thread.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Third times a charm. This is it...

� 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

Simply stated, it says this:

"It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered...to persons other than...licensed dealers...any package...in which there is any firearm...without written notice to the carrier that such firearm...is being...shipped..."

The United States Postal Service (USPS) will accept long guns from unlicensed persons and handguns from federal firearms licensees:

"11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e

11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice."

Thanks again Bricktop.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe someone can help me with this face to face question.

Today, my brother attempted to sell an AR-15 to another person face to face. They went to our local hardware store that handles FFLs and is also a gun shop. When the dealer did the background check on the party interested in purchasing the AR, it showed there was a protection order from his wife from a number of years ago so he was denied. The dealer told my brother he now couldn't sell the rifle to this individual because he was aware of this information and that he could be culpable in some capacity if a crime was committed by this individual with this weapon in the future. What got me was the dealer told my brother that as a seller you must do your due diligence and make a reasonable effort to make sure whoever is buying a weapon from you has no priors or anything that would prevent them from owning a firearm. I've never heard of anything like that in Pa before for private sales.

My question is:

As a private citizen selling to another private citizen, is there anything I MUST DO when selling a weapon to make sure a buyer is capable of purchasing firearms? In other words, is the onus on me to make a reasonable effort to determine if a buyer would pass a background check?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rrroae
My question is:

As a private citizen selling to another private citizen, is there anything I MUST DO when selling a weapon to make sure a buyer is capable of purchasing firearms? In other words, is the onus on me to make a reasonable effort to determine if a buyer would pass a background check?
There is no such federal requirement nor do most states have a requirement to do so.

If a seller wants to go beyond the minimum requirements he may, but he is under no obligation to do so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Bricktop, much appreciated.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Bricktop,

Can you give the lowdown on shipping reloading components. My local PO wouldn't ship component bullets (not ammunition) today. Finally convinced them, but would have been a lot easier had I known the correct reg to cite. I wouldn't have even disclosed, except they saw the word "bullets" on one of the boxes as we were putting them in a flat rate box.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
Bricktop,

Can you give the lowdown on shipping reloading components. My local PO wouldn't ship component bullets (not ammunition) today. Finally convinced them, but would have been a lot easier had I known the correct reg to cite. I wouldn't have even disclosed, except they saw the word "bullets" on one of the boxes as we were putting them in a flat rate box.

John
Component bullets and brass are not classified as flammable, explosive or "inert explosives" and are not controlled items. There won't be any postal regulations regarding them. They may as well be rocks.

As I stated in our PM discussion, you can't tip your hand when you're shipping things because you invite some self-important assh*le to meddle in your business when you do.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bricktop
As I stated in our PM discussion, you can't tip your hand when you're shipping things because you invite some self-important assh*le to meddle in your business when you do.

Thats worth threepeatin...
and has to do with more than just firearms.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Excellent thread. Bricktop...your knowledge in this area is respected.

Although it may have been expressly covered somewhere in all these posts,I'll still ask a direct question regarding my May plane travel from Florida to Va.

On my dad's death last year, I have been given his Remington Rand manufactured service 45. It is in it's original condition. I also have my Beretta 380 that I had let my father use and now intend to bring it back with me, as well. I do not have ownership papers for any of these two handguns.

May I assume I can simply lock these two pistols into cases,put them in my check-in and bring them back to Virginia with me on this flight or is it still advisable to ship FFL to FFL?

Thanks in advance.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.