-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Smith acknowledged leaving the bodies in his home overnight before calling a neighbor to ask about a lawyer and to request that authorities be notified.

what are the chances this guy was fencing the stuff for the boy, and tried some funny stuff with the girl?

keeping two bodies in the basement over night-something isn't right!

You can take that to the bank!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
more information.Note the "bold" sentence.

LITTLE FALLS, MINN. - The two teenage cousins shot to death during a home burglary on Thanksgiving were no strangers to police, who confirmed Wednesday that the pair had committed an earlier burglary and that officers are looking into the possibility of them being linked to more in the area.

Morrison County Sheriff Michel Wetzel said a search of a car seized after Nick Brady, 17, and Haile Kifer, 18, were slain by homeowner Byron Smith turned up items reported stolen in a home burglary the previous day, including six bottles of prescription medicine.

Little Falls Police Chief Greg Schirmers said Wednesday the cousins were among a group of young people with whom police in the area "crossed paths frequently," but not involving any major crimes.

Schirmers said his department or the sheriff's office had 19 "contacts" with Kifer this year , ranging from traffic stops to reports of suspicious activity or theft.

Police had contacts of a similar nature with Brady, Schirmers said, though he declined to be specific, citing Brady's status as a juvenile when killed.

Neither were known to be part of any crime ring, he said.

"I can't say they stood out from any other bunch we came in contact with," the chief said.

The sheriff's office said in a statement that the shooting investigation, "as well as other burglaries that may be connected" to the cousins, was continuing, but provided no further details.

Schirmers said Little Falls had 33 reported burglaries in the past year, a number he called typical.

"Pills are always a target, as are small electronics and that kind of thing," he said.

Byron Smith, 64, a retired federal employee, is charged with second-degree murder in the two deaths. Smith, whose brother said he had endured numerous break-ins in recent years, remained in the Morrison County jail Wednesday night after earlier admitting that he repeatedly shot the intruders, including final shots at close range, then left their bodies in his basement for a full day until deputies arrived to check on a neighbor's concerns that he might have killed somebody.

Prior trouble

Richard Johnson, the retired Little Falls High School teacher who authorities believe also fell victim to a burglary by Kifer and Brady, showed a reporter the French door where the thieves entered his elegant Tudor house after smashing the glass while standing on his deck.

He said the thieves rifled most of the drawers in the home but took only coins of little value and his non-narcotic prescription drugs.

"I'm surprised they didn't smash the place up," said Johnson, who was out of the country at the time.

A neighbor, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said she and her spouse called 911 the night before Thanksgiving and reported a suspicious car -- a red Mitsubishi Eclipse -- parked near the end of their driveway.

They waited near the car and spoke to deputies when they arrived. Just then, Brady walked up to the car and told the deputies that he and Kifer had run out of gas and that she had left to get some.

The deputies gave Brady a ride to town and released him, the sheriff said.

"It was just a strange place for the car to be, in our driveway like that, and we were concerned about our home," said the woman.

Johnson, who had been in Spain for two weeks, said the break-in at his home wasn't discovered until Sunday morning by an 81-year-old friend checking on the house, who in turn called 911.

Deputies began tying the two incidents together.

"During the search of the red Mitsubishi Eclipse, deputies discovered six bottles of prescription medication bearing the name Richard Johnson," the sheriff's office said.

Steve Schaeffel, Brady's grandfather, said the boy's family isn't ready to comment.

"We're going to let everybody else have their say and then gather our thoughts," Schaeffel said.

Smith's brother, Bruce Smith of California, whom Byron Smith called after the shootings, said his brother was the victim of a string of break-ins over the past couple of years. Byron Smith reported one, on Oct. 27, to the sheriff's office. He told investigators that $500 in cash and a $3,000 camera were stolen.

When asked about possible suspects, Byron Smith said he often worked with kids and used to allow his friend's son and his friends to have band practice in his garage. He stopped it when they kept inviting too many friends and it got out of hand. "That would have made kids aware of where he lives and how secluded his residence is from the road," the incident report said.

Johnson, 68, is saddened by the whole turn of events. Of the teens' deaths, he said: "I feel bad for them but also for Mr. Smith. His life is over with, too."

Also Wednesday, some continued to speak out on behalf of Smith. Among them was neighbor William Anderson, who said he's probably Smith's best friend.

"I've known the family for 40 years, and they're good people," he said. "I have nothing else to say."

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Byron Smith said he often worked with kids and used to allow his friend's son and his friends to have band practice in his garage. He stopped it when they kept inviting too many friends and it got out of hand. "That would have made kids aware of where he lives and how secluded his residence is from the road," the incident report said.

The plot thickens.

Implausible as the story is as presented, anything we suggest is equally plausible.

This werent some random guy, he was a 60-plus year-old who invited high school teenagers into his garage.

Now, being someone who spends long hours I don't really have to working with other peoples' kids, that alone ain't enough to brand the guy.

But I don't have any interest in inviting 'em into my home either, and I sure as heck don't have two dead ones in the basement that I moved and later waited a day to tell the cops about after killing them.

And robbed *several* previous times w/no countermeasures taken like alarms, home safes etc...?

Look close at this guy's finances and where his money's been going.

Clearly, both of them teenagers were well along the wrong path despite apparent good upbringing, at least on the part of the girl. Happens rarely but it does happen, especially with meth or crack.

They went over to the guy's house for SOME nefarious purpose, maybe he had been loaning them money. The girl may well have laughed at and ridiculed him, but I doubt it was after she had just been shot.

Drug test the old guy too, might be THAT is the reason he had to wait.

Just my $0.02
Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
This is truly a ghoulish and surreal story here.

Reads like a David Lynch movie.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Past time for a warning!!!!

I'm new and like this site, so far I've met many open, honest people. Not afraid to speak their mind.

But...

As much as it seems we are talking among friends, everything said here is public information.

Should any of us ever have the misfortune to be forced to defend our loved ones or ourselves with lethal force your computer may be taken by the Sheriff's dept. Sites such as this may be searched & anything you've said may be brought up at trial.

A number of members have said things on this blog you would not want brought up to a jury. Maybe one day we can all get around a campfire together and say what we please but I'd hate to think anyone spent jail time because of a comment.

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys like that make it tougher for the guys that do it right.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Good points.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

490 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,359 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,494
Posts18,452,415
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.