Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have one of these and whats your experience with them? I'm looking at this and the LMT MWS. I prefer the LMT but at half the price of the LMT It makes the RRA look very appealing.

ARIC

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm sure someone will say it has a good trigger but the forearm is heavy and cumbersome, a very poor design by today's standards. Everything else is is run of the mill RR including their stock. I'll pass.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fine weapon at the price point. It isn't a Noveske, Les Baer, or a LaRue. What you are going to do with it is what the level of revenue will determine. I consider them on par with a DPMS, Smith, and a lot of those at that price level.

I have been buying stripped lowers and building my own lowers. The uppers I have bought because I ran across the setup that I wanted both times from individuals (Sabre 16" 223 and a 18" 6.5 Grendel). My only full factory AR is a Colt SP1 and it is totally reliable as you would expect. I would likely buy another Colt unless I were springing for a Les Baer, LaRue, or other expensive options.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What is the exact difference other than the price? Will the LMT run better than the RRA? Is it more accurate?

I've been so overwhelmed with fake news that I'm now nuts. Let's go Brandon
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My highest dollar AR is the Colt or maybe the Grendel. I have never owned a LMT. I am not the right guy to answer it but I can tell you that my 3 1911 45's are a good analogy.

Kimber Target Eclipse.
Modified Springfield.
Les Baer Stinger Stainless.

All three run whichever ammo I have put through them. I hit well with all of them. The Baer is tighter and you can feel a difference even by just pulling the slide. The Kimber is a very nice looking weapon and has nice sights. The Springfield is Duracoated Green and Black, has iron GI sights. The Springfield is the best in one way for sure. 45 snobs dismiss it as a second class piece. It is a seriously accurate and has an unknown make aftermarket trigger in it.

Quick answer is that the Les Baer and Kimber are worth the extra money to me but I would feel confident with my old Springfield Armory. It's sleeper status kind of got ruined when I had it Duracoated. I need to get some nicer sights on the Springfield.

So after all of that: the higher end rifles are different and better but not cost justifiable to some people. Good problems to have in my opinion. Everything is like that. Some people can't see buying a Swarovski and are totally happy with a Redfield. Guess what, that Redfield guy might shoot a lot better and be a better hunter, doesn't mean that you would be happy with his setup. You know what you want. You can't go wrong but I warn you the black rifles are addictive.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I did some more checking and feel that for the additional 1,000.00 I will go with the LMT. Its a buy once, cry once type of deal. I figure if I decide to sell it down the line it will hold its value better. They seem to be accurate as can be expected for a semi auto style AR. Found 20 round Magpuls for 19.99 a piece, I'm sure with some looking I can get them slightly cheaper? Reports said that RRA was not compatible with other 308's, parts were hard to find although I'm not expecting to have to locate parts for it? I guess I can report back if its good or bad. Thanks

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
44Mag.com has about the lowest price on PMags. I just bought some 20 rounders for $13.25/ea shipped.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Maybe you should edit that you're talking about the 308 version since you don't mention it until your last reply.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't know it would have that much bearing but yes it was the 308 win, sorry for the confusion.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Diamond on the heads up!

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After watching two guys shoot with the .308 RRA platform at our club, that's the one I would buy price be damned. They are extremely accurate rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buddy has an LMT with an 18 inch match barrel it will shoot Sierra 77's into less than a half inch at 100 how much better than that does it have to get?

NRA Lifetime Member
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
My buddy has an LMT with an 18 inch match barrel it will shoot Sierra 77's into less than a half inch at 100 how much better than that does it have to get?

We are talking about a .308 platform rifle here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

My LAR-8 Predator shoots quite well thank you, and cost ALOT less than LMT stuff. wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Is that good enough from a 308 AR with no load development? whistle

Last edited by dmsbandit; 11/19/12.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, but you missed the dot! wink

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by supercrewd
Yeah, but you missed the dot! wink

yeah, but they now have these things called turrets on the new fangled glass optics. They allow you to move the bullets where ever you want. laugh

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
dmsbandit, that's pretty impressive.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TC1
dmsbandit, that's pretty impressive.

thanks TC. Everyone that has shot my RRA LAR-8 Predator at the range leaves the bench with a big grin on their face. It was just under $1600 out the door and you get alot for the money. smile

they also come in 243 and 7-08. My brother's 243 predator will shoot under 1" with the very first load tried. He saw no reason to search any further for his deer load. wink

Last edited by dmsbandit; 11/20/12.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Esox357
Anyone have one of these and whats your experience with them? I'm looking at this and the LMT MWS. I prefer the LMT but at half the price of the LMT It makes the RRA look very appealing.

I have one. I have used it for about two years. I put folding night sights, a 2x7 Leupold and a sling. I swapped out the grip for a military one and took off the side sling mount on the front. I also put on some rail covers and a rear sling mount. That's it.

It is heavy enough to be easy to shoot off hand but the weight is within the hands so it can be maneuvered pretty easily.

It shoots so well with my 55gr bulk Core-Lokt practice handload that I haven't fooled with anything else. I use the same load in my Mini-14 Ranch and my Ruger Hawkeye UL. It is more accurate with it than either of them though the Ruger is close.

Nice trigger, seemingly very accurate, free floated barrel. The folding stock allows for a spot weld. I like to shoot with a sling and zero change is minimal when I use one.

I have had a couple of people tell me it should have a chrome lined bore. No way until accuracy goes sour.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As I understand it, the only real advantage to a chrome lined barrel is in high volume rapid fire applictions or if using corrisive ammo, or if used in an environment that excellerates rust.

Personally, I see no need for chrome barrels in most applications.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
708 members (117LBS, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.