Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I shot a one gallon can of roofing tar once that was a good time.
I sold my Model 70 African to a guy who wanted a bigger deer rifle than his brother.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by DrDeath
I have imr3031 and a bunch of 500g solids. I hate to see these not used. It is there a light load for 500grainers?

The light loads for the 500's use only SR4759 or 5744.
Load either 30-34gr SR-4759 or 34-39gr 5744 with those 500gr solids for a "plinking" load that will still kill anything in N.America. They will be running 1200-1400fps out of a 24" barrel.

IMR-3031 is an efficient powder for full-house loads and the minimum loads for 500's start around 65gr for 1900+fps which, in my mind is NOT a light load.
It certainly isn't wide open, which is in the 2150fps neighborhood with 500gr FMJ's, but it WILL get your attention! grin

My "varmint" load for my .458WM is a Hornady 350gr RN over 73.0gr 3031. Nice, round, 1" five-shot groups, at ~2350fps.

I shot several 1/2" groups with that bullet and an old lot of IMR4198 (67.0gr), running ~2400fps. I ran out of that can and, when I bought a new can, could only get 1 1/2" groups.

While bench time is great in working up a plinking load to get "trigger time" and work on the basics with your DGR, I have the most fun shooting from field positions, including off-hand once I get load work done.

Hitting an orange at 100yds, offhand, is enough to put a big grin on your face! grin

I LOVE my .458WM!

Ed
Thanks a lot Ed,just when my itch for a .458 Win is gone,I open this thread up and read this. smirk

Now the itch is back. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Thanks a lot Ed,just when my itch for a .458 Win is gone,I open this thread up and read this. smirk

Now the itch is back. grin

That's what I'm good at, giving. Attitudes, and now itches. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks.....I think. grin

Have you used the 405 gr Rem in your .458?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
458WM specs allow a very generous throat, which may cause accuracy problems with lighter (shorter) bullets. Just FYI.

IC B2

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
No hogs killed!

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by 86thecat
458WM specs allow a very generous throat, which may cause accuracy problems with lighter (shorter) bullets. Just FYI.

Perhaps in theory.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My hunting load is 70grs+ of H-4895 with 450gr Northforks. Spring and summer we have guests and visitors and most of the time we do some shooting. It usually starts with the 308 and goes up from there, seeing as the Northforks are high $$ and have bloodied a few eyebrows I loaded up 50 300gr Barnes Originals last night over 65grs of AA-2495. 1750fps and cheap to shoot. Would probably work wonder on yard bears too!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Perhaps in theory.

Have a 458WM CZ that is pretty heavy on theory then. If you look at a SAAMI chamber spec the leade is funnel shaped and starts about 10 thou larger than bullet diameter... This one will get most all cast bullets or jacketed bullets lighter than 450 gns well clear of the case mouth before they begin to engrave the rifling. It will shoot an inch at 100yds with 450 TSX or 500 gn jacketed or you will be lucky to hit a pie plate at 100yds with lighter or most cast. Guess you have different chamber specs on that side of the equater.....

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A

Perhaps in theory.

Have a 458WM CZ that is pretty heavy on theory then. If you look at a SAAMI chamber spec the leade is funnel shaped and starts about 10 thou larger than bullet diameter... This one will get most all cast bullets or jacketed bullets lighter than 450 gns well clear of the case mouth before they begin to engrave the rifling. It will shoot an inch at 100yds with 450 TSX or 500 gn jacketed or you will be lucky to hit a pie plate at 100yds with lighter or most cast. Guess you have different chamber specs on that side of the equater.....

I have come up against this level of ignorance several times since immigrating to the US. For some reason, it is popular to assume Aussies get a different product than you do, even though they are made in the same plant and exported all round the world? I have heard it with cars, guns and even printing presses and it is extreme ignorance to suggest it.

The fact is, Aussies were using BRNO's, the forerunner of the CZ decades before it was heard of here, as Australia was a primary importer from Europe in the decades after the war. That included Tikka's, Sako's and no....there is no such thing as a Garcia Sako there, as Garcia, the importer was only a "local identity" in the USA. Aussie experience with these rifles is among the highest.

As to your claim of accuracy with lighter bullet and using SAAMI as a voice of authority. WOW.

I simply cannot recall all the .458's I have owned or used. Never ever, did one not produce sub MOA performance and half MOA performance is simply nothing to brag about as it is relatively common with this caliber.

If you have a single rifle that does not do that, and......you actually handloaded lighter for caliber bullets for it, I would be interested to know what your loads were, what bullets you used, size of the groups generated, what scope you have on the rifle, and your honest assessment of your shooting prowess to generate sub MOA groups with a cartridge this powerful.

Over to you, as I like to learn as much as anyone else.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am aware the rifles are the same, should have put a humor icon next to that I guess. My claim for lack of accuracy is the fact that lighter bullets are well clear of the case mouth before engraving rifling which was confirmed after researching chamber minimum dimensions on the SAAMI site. Here is a link, note the leade dimension begins at .4690 (10 thou bigger than bullet diameter). 458WM Just noted good accuracy with longer bullets and terrible groups with lighter as statement of fact, not saying I am a bench rest pro. Off of a solid rest, I believe, most should be able to get those results with some practice (and maybe an extra recoil shield).
I will look up my notes as the loads referred to were worked up a few years ago and my memory is not good enough to post load info online without checking first.

Found this old post with data when working up an accurate light load for my CZ. Cast 458 Load

Last edited by 86thecat; 03/15/15. Reason: found load info
J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I simply cannot recall all the .458's I have owned or used. Never ever, did one not produce sub MOA performance and half MOA performance is simply nothing to brag about as it is relatively common with this caliber.

Can you share your loads with cast and lighter bullets in the 458 that produced such accuracy ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is an old thread about the 458WM throat that mentions the 458JGS reamer. I thought this was pretty informative.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../5521703/all/458_Win_Mag_Oversize_Throat

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JFE

Can you share your loads with cast and lighter bullets in the 458 that produced such accuracy ?

Nope.
Never shot a cast bullet and never claimed to either.
I have however, shot from 300 to 600 grain bullet weights in the .458's.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I never knew they made a 600gr for a 458

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JFE

Nope.

OK. Cast do behave quite differently to jacketed bullets.

Can you share your jacketed 300-400 gr bullet loads and loading techniques that yielded MOA accuracy?

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
My articles in the Aussie mags go back to 1985. You will find it easy to research what ever you want. I recommend you go through:
Australian shooters Journal
Sporting Shooter Magazine.
Australian Gunsports
SCI'Australian Hunter.
NSW Deerstalker
There are a few more I don't recall at the moment because of the name changes they transitioned to.
John Woods

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
That's a pretty strange response to a simple question.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by JFE
That's a pretty strange response to a simple question.

I wrote more articles on big bore rifles in Oz than all the other writers combined. How would you like me to condense that into a response.

seriously, I'd be glad to offer some advice if you have a question? Generic language is not a question so if you will be more specific in what you want to know, I'd be glad to help.

What bullet are you interested in shooting in your .458?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by JFE
Originally Posted by JFE

Nope.

OK. Cast do behave quite differently to jacketed bullets.

Can you share your jacketed 300-400 gr bullet loads and loading techniques that yielded MOA accuracy?

Judging from my limited experience with the 458 win mag you don't have to do anything special to get them to shoot sub MOA groups at 100 yards. Just put ammo in them and have the ability to shoot them well enough.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (1lessdog, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,876 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,577
Posts18,453,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.