Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I want to put a weapon light on my AR15. I have a quad rail with a front handle grip on it. I want to mount the light so it will be in the 3 o'clock position as I hold the carbine. I want to be able to turn the light on with a monetary switch on the back of the light by using the thumb of my left hand, which will be on the handle grip. Any ideas as to which lights I should look at? I don't have an unlimited budget so money is an issue. I need a light that'll work without breaking the bank. It doesn't have to be the latest and greatest, it just has to work. I'll take it off most of the time when I take my carbine to the range.

Thanks, NYH1. wink

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

ARIC

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Surefire G2LED or equivalent.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just went to Amazon and typed in TLR-1S, 105.00 I am sure its not the best but its a good one. I have it on my Colt.

N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks guys!

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Surefire 6PX LED. The one I have is 200 lumens, but I have heard the newer ones are rated at 350 lumens.

My light rides in an Elzetta mount which puts the light at 6 o'clock which is where I prefer it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted that way on my shot gun, and have been quite happy. Easy on and off with no function issues what so ever.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I run surefire and cannot complain at all. They always work and with LED bulbs the battery life is pretty good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR

It's what I used to run. Had no complaints. But switched to the G2X and love it even more. Can't beat it for the price.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I bought about five Surefire G-2 lights in the LED version and they work well. I think Surefire has gone on to a next generation version recently. It is possible to have too bright a light for indoor work as you will get some reflection from light colored walls directed back towards you the operator that can be disconcerting. I have not noticed this to be the case normally outdoors where more is somewhat better. Usually incandescent bulbs are more fragile and not as long lasting as LED and when switched off they have a tell-tale glow for a second that can give away your direction of movement to the opposition.

Last edited by Captain; 11/11/12.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
big difference in price between the Streamlight and surefire models. Is the "made in the USA" worth the extra?

IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I thought both were made in the USA but as long as its not china, I wouldn't have a problem with either company.

I do have both companies lights and batteries. My newest light is Streamlights new Super TAC X. It's a handheld light that is the brightest I've ever seen.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am curious why their is such a big price difference. Insight Technologies is in the middle price wise.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
TLR-1, but I wouldn't mount it 3 o' clock...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR

looking on Optics Planet I see that there are several Surefire G2 light's so which G2 would you recommend the ZL, ZX, D, X Pro, X Tactical????? and which mount???

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Evidently, sure fire quit making the cheap g2 nytrolon led light. For the price I'd get a Sreamlight TLR1. The g2 led I have were only $60 and my suggestion was intended for a bargain priced light.

The mount I use is a Viking Tactics mount that runs about $25.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
Evidently, sure fire quit making the cheap g2 nytrolon led light. For the price I'd get a Sreamlight TLR1. The g2 led I have were only $60 and my suggestion was intended for a bargain priced light.

The mount I use is a Viking Tactics mount that runs about $25.

It's called the G2X now. 200 lumens instead of the 170 (I think) of the plain G2. Other than that, it's the same. Well, except price. The X is around $90. But I have done a few google searches in the last couple months and you can still find new in box G2s. Just have to search. And they're cheaper now. Think I saw one for $45.

N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Thanks guys.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You missed the Surefire cyber Monday sale ?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Do you want it for indoors or outdoor applications? I am not a fan of to much light indoors. Using an LED I find anything over 120-150 lumens to give to much back wash that will impair the operator more than it will serve any addititional means of blinding a suspect. Going outdoors I dont mind anything with as many lumens as you want to go.

I bought a 500 lumen light when it first came out until I used it at night in a house. There was so much light washing off the wall that my partners said it was not allowed indoors anymore.

Im also a fan of the streamlight TLR mounted at the 6 o clock position.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

N
NYH1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
varmintsinc, it will be used for indoor use. I think I'll end up going with a Streamlight TLR Light. I'm going to mount it anywhere from the 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock position, as I hold the weapon (3 o'clock would be mid right side, 9 o'clock would be mid left side). I'll have to figure that out when I get the light.

I've never used a weapon mounted light before so I'll have to see what feels best for me. I'm going to get one for one of my Glocks too.

Thanks for the help, NYH1.

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
131 members (300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,811 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.