-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Having shot Glocks for years, I decided I "needed" a Glock to hunt deer with here in Missouri. I hung a stand about 8 years ago and have gotten a nice buck out of it every year since. It's thick where I hunt (which is where the big deer feel safest) and I thought a 10mm would be just about right.

I invested in a KKM 6" 10mm barrel, Tru Glo night sights (which I'm very unhappy with) and Underwood Laboratories 200 Grain XTP at about 1350 fps (which I'm VERY happy with) (chronographed) out of my barrel.

This buck strutted up a trail near my stand after sparring with another very large buck (too thick to get a shot through).

I shot him at about 7 yards. The second picture, with the cartridge as a reference, shows the ENTRANCE hole. The bullet poked right through his heart and left about a 1" diameter hole and buried itself in the off shoulder blade.

It was a quick clean kill; the deer ran about 30 yards and expired (common with heart shots). He was a pretty fellow, with a healthy and shiny coat. After celebrating, and lamenting, his death I began taking care of the harvest!

I would have liked to seen an exit hole but, the off side shoulder blade was broken and his off side leg swung loose...I think the 10mm delivered a wallop.

so..."it" works, that 10mm Glock, for deer hunting. 100% of the time in MY experience so far. I do believe that he was just as dead as every deer I've killed with a rifle but, maybe there's other views...

Underwood Ammo rocks!

Attached Images
Optimized-2012-11-129517.31.35.jpg (52.31 KB, 3126 downloads)

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
and the deer and my gun

Attached Images
Optimized-2012-11-12 17.28.40.jpg (88.43 KB, 14372 downloads)

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Congratulations!

Details man, load, distance. Did the deer DRT or run, if so how far?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Awesome!

I'm sure the guys over at http://10mm-firearms.com/index.php would like to hear your story.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shooting!

"I invested in a KKM 6" 10mm barrel, Tru Glo night sights (which I'm very unhappy with) and Underwood Laboratories 200 Grain XTP at about 1350 fps (which I'm VERY happy with) (chronographed) out of my barrel."

I have one .22 rimfire rifle that has Tru Glo sights that I really don't care for and just wondering what you don't like about yours.

Thanks.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
VERY cool! And nice shooting. I am wanting to try some big game with my Colt Delta Elite and handloads pushing the 180 Gold Dot at 1375.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Good job and thanks for the recount of your success! Congratulations. 100% is impressive! ( wink )

I get some very accurate loads from 200 grain XTP's and 800X out of my G20. I use a little higher powder charge on mine, one that was previously published by IMR, than what IMR now recommends. I believe that is because 800X does not meter well and some may have had issues loading towards max by throwing charges. I weigh all my charges anyway, and there are no pressure signs on my brass, so I believe I'm OK. It's one of the most consistently accurate loads I have for the 10, too. I haven't chrono'ed them yet, but am looking forward to it soon.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Awesome job. Congrats.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, good show!
I have one set up the same except for sights. I orderd a taller night site from brownells as mine was shooting way to high, but over shot on the height of the front site now I am shooting a little low. I will fix that by ordering a new higher rear sight.
Wanted to carry mine this year in the deer woods but all I have are 15 round clips. Not allowed in KY.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The Tru Glo night sights were a disappointment because the rear sight was an awkward size for a glock sight tool (hey, I can get over that)....BUT....the screw that attaches the front sight bottomed out before the sight was tight...so, my front sight waved back and forth

like a rudder on a boat...NOT conducive to repeatable accuracy!

The green night sight in the front sight...was milled off center a noticable amount. so, even with a perfece sight picture, i didn't have perfect sight alignment depending on whether I focused on the dots or the blades.

A 'guy' at the gunshop fastened a small plastic spacer / washer and was able to tighten it down. The screw they provided was way too long for my gun (and I ordered the right package).

When I emailed their customer service, they said I would have to send in the front sight before they would replace it, which, I kind of understand but is far below the level of service other vendors have provided me in the past.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ricky D, PM me with your loads...I'm interested

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J2Dogs: I got a ten round magazine from midwayusa.com

NRA Life Member
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 10mm and the Glock done well for you. Congratulation on a nice Buck

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MPH17001
Ricky D, PM me with your loads...I'm interested
Sure. PM sent.

FWIW, I've also had good results with 800X for full house loads in the 45ACP with a Kimber 1911. Got a Sig 220 on the way and hope to see how they do in that one.

With any 800X load, they must be weighed, not thrown, unless a guy wants to settle for lighter loads. Then you're better off with a different powder by my experience. With 800X I loaded up to what I'm shooting now and lighter loads did not shoot nearly as accurately in my guns as the hotter loads.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Congrats on your deer.

..A new addict has been created! smile

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Congrats on the nice buck with your pistol. I'm in the same boat as safariman, and have a delta elite that I'd like to take a deer with this year. My handloads with 180 gr. hornady XTP and longshot powder are getting around 1300 FPS.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 24 invisible), 1,937 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,172
Posts18,465,369
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.