-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I received a Rossi 92 24 inch .44-40 stainless as a gift in 2011.
We really like it and my kids have shot the snot out of it with no problems.

Quality is very good and it smoothed up after shooting a couple of boxes of factory loads.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It seems that small frame lever actions seem to work the best with 44-40. If I decide to get another small frame lever action I think it will most definitely be in 44-40.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just don't know how I missed this...

I have a Rossi 92 in 45Colt and it is fantastic.

I have yet to shoot it over 50yrds but at 50 I can keep a 1.5-1.75inch group from the bench with the Steve's semi-buckhorn sights.

Keep in mind this is the first rifle I have ever used any type of "V" sight.

I shoot Speer 250g bullets with Ruger loads no problem.

All the said, I did have Steve from "Steve's Gunz" put on his standard package before I even saw it.

It is a 24inch, Octagon bbl setup.

I did have to finish the stock... and I can't see why they sell them that way.

All in all it is a great little rifle

I�m thinken I may get a 20inch round BBL too

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Just discovered about 500 .44 mag empties. I now need to get some dies to reload for my Ruger Super Black Hawk. I figure a .44 Mag rifle ought to be in my future. Never cared for my Marlin in .44 mag but a model 92 would be a different kettle of fish. Rossi now makes a Model 92 with a 24" barrel in .44 mag.

Anybody got a Rossi in .44 mag? Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly on the rifle if you have one.

Thanks.
I had the Rossi 92 in .357 Magnum. Never gave me any trouble, and was accurate with a good trigger. Wood to metal fit left something to be desired, though.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do yourself a favor and spend the extra cash for a Browning B92 44 Mag. It might take awhile to find one and you will have to pay at leat $600 for a nice one, but they are SOOOO much nicer than any Rossi 92 clone. The only tweaking they usually require is a little work to lighten the trigger. Other than that, they are as smooth as butter and every bit the equal of the orignal 1892 Winchesters in terms of workmanship.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ruger 96/44, my favorite lever of them all.
No hammer, short 60 degree lever throw, side eject for low scope mounting, and detachable magazine (no tube!).

All in a small compact package that carries like a bb gun.

Last edited by BlackFrog; 12/05/12.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I had a rossi .357, and traded it off fairly quickly. this was quite a few years ago, and the gun was rough. I have a had a mess of Marlins, and they all went downthe road, too. I currently have a Browning B92, and it's found a permanent home. Smooth, accurate with cast and jacketed, and just all round nice. And no tang safety.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The thing you need to keep in mind when asking about these rifles is that they have been around a lot longer than most people realize. They come out of South America. You can find early special order models back into the 70s. The reports back then were very rough, but still had enough following to eventually become a common feature in the store. People want and like the 92 action. The choices are limited. The ROSSI is an acheivable goal for the working man.

There were a number of changes in their manufacturing over the years that reflect perceived quality. Generally getting better as we move along.

By the late 90s, they became a much better rifle, by most standards, eventually adopting the PUMA name for import.

The PUMA label has now moved to an Italian company. But, Rossi's are still available and affordable when compared with the competitors.

Though I don't like additional safeties on lever rifles, I have never had a problem with a ROSSI that has the safety, or marked with PUMA. Rifles manufactured before that period generate a lot of the horror stories - real or imagined.

You can find the same mixed reviews with our other favorite brands as well.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

616 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 77 invisible), 2,077 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,262
Posts18,448,206
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.