-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Had a guy that I met at the post office - when I was packing several obviously rifle boxes in there to ship smile - come by today to do some gun trading. He wanted some doomsday preparedness type stuff plus loads of ammunition and I had a bit of that kind of thing laying around. I did give up a really nice 303 SMLE Jungle Carbine that I hat intended to keep as part of the deal, but I really wanted his rifle so it is now his along with about 450 rounds of 303 Brit ammunition. I ended up with his old hunting rifle that was just excess weight to him now since he rarely could find ammo anymore, no longer hunts at all and it did not shoot enough ammo out the tube fast enough for him anymore. No problem, says I.... here are your new doomsday guns and ammo (The 303 and a nice semi custom compact 45ACP with some extras including ammuition etc thrown in) and I will take GOOD CARE of that old rifle you have there. A Long tang but standard rifle model 71 348WCF! <G> It has an aftermarket rubber buttplate on it but I don't think the stock has been cut. I just need an original buttplate for this and I will have a pretty decent older 71 for my gun show table in Spokane next week. I love it when a trade comes together like this. Anyone here have or know of a good source to get an original buttplate. Anyone here itching to own a long tang model 71?

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by safariman
Had a guy that I met at the post office - when I was packing several obviously rifle boxes in there to ship smile - come by today to do some gun trading. He wanted some doomsday preparedness type stuff plus loads of ammunition and I had a bit of that kind of thing laying around. I did give up a really nice 303 SMLE Jungle Carbine that I hat intended to keep as part of the deal, but I really wanted his rifle so it is now his along with about 450 rounds of 303 Brit ammunition. I ended up with his old hunting rifle that was just excess weight to him now since he rarely could find ammo anymore, no longer hunts at all and it did not shoot enough ammo out the tube fast enough for him anymore. No problem, says I.... here are your new doomsday guns and ammo (The 303 and a nice semi custom compact 45ACP with some extras including ammuition etc thrown in) and I will take GOOD CARE of that old rifle you have there. A Long tang but standard rifle model 71 348WCF! <G> It has an aftermarket rubber buttplate on it but I don't think the stock has been cut. I just need an original buttplate for this and I will have a pretty decent older 71 for my gun show table in Spokane next week. I love it when a trade comes together like this. Anyone here have or know of a good source to get an original buttplate. Anyone here itching to own a long tang model 71?

MARK
Since the Model 71 is still being manufactured by Miroku in Japan for Winchester, I'd say they would be your source for a replacement. Nice find. Those rifles are sweet.

Here's the Miroku, Model 71, steel butt plate, which is identical to the original.

[Linked Image]

Here's a great article on the 71: Link

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Great idea, but I do not think the Miroku rifles are the long tang version, though the buttplate should be the same. Thanks!

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Mark, call Midwest Gun Works down in Missouri.

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have an in the white replacement, aftermarket, still packaged up, I think...
Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am very interested. PM inbound.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mark,

I am always willing to look and talk. Let me know how you make out with the buttplate and what you are looking to get for the '71.

Thanks. Don

Last edited by donsm70; 12/02/12.

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice find! Love the 71. I've been eyeing the New model 71's that are out and want to snag one sometime next year IF, and it's a big if, they don't have "made in Japan" stamped on the rifle like the Miroku made Browning's are. Does anyone know if they're stamped like that?

Cory

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i scored a similar condition 71 several years ago he sold his grandfathers rifle for 350 to find a new plastic stock 300wsm..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by dubya
Nice find! Love the 71. I've been eyeing the New model 71's that are out and want to snag one sometime next year IF, and it's a big if, they don't have "made in Japan" stamped on the rifle like the Miroku made Browning's are. Does anyone know if they're stamped like that?

Cory
They make a fine product. Why would it concern you if they stated where it was made? Were you planning on fooling someone into believing it was made in the USA?

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Cory
They make a fine product. Why would it concern you if they stated where it was made? Were you planning on fooling someone into believing it was made in the USA?

I know they're well made rifles but for some reason i feel like it'd really bug me having it stamped on the barrel of such a classic Winchester. Why are you so sensitive of what MY preferences are?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Cory

I know they're well made rifles but for some reason i feel like it'd really bug me having it stamped on the barrel of such a classic Winchester. Why are you so sensitive of what MY preferences are?
OK, I see what you mean, i.e., because Winchester is an America icon, yet has to be made in Japan due to unions doing their part in destroying American manufacturing.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am taking a long tang original to the Spokane gun shjow and if someone there or here offers me a Miroku made 71 plus a fair deal offer cash difference I will probably be all over the deal thereby having a good quality hunting grade rifle that could be AI'ed, recoil pad added, peep sights added, cerrakoted etc without desecrating an original. The made in Japan won't bother me a bit on a gun to be modified for severe hunting use.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 23 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.