A
Borden will make you a lefty!

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Tlfw stated in the other Stiller thread that Mr. Gradous will not build on a Stiller action.
He will. Seen one being used on a new build at his shop few weeks ago. Of coarse he'd rather use Surgeon-Defiance or Borden.

I think 'ole Eddie Fosnaugh is heading there soon. Gonna trade some 'smith secrets. smile

Last edited by slg888; 12/03/12.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
He recommended Stiller as his second choice to me, but stated they are all great actions.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like a low mounted scope and my 300 wsm on a predator bounces cases off my windage turret. Stiller said I need to mount my scope higher. The location of the extractor above the lug instead of in it like a rem gives a little more up angle. Other than that and a few feeding issues I like the stiller actions. Mine shoots great and I think both my problems are more of an issue because it's a wsm.

I try to pick my stillers up on group buys and usually end up in to them under $800. That being said some of my favorites are plain old rem 700's that have been single point recut and trued. But if you want a fluted bolt and a tactical bold nob and different extractor you might as well go custom. If you don't want that fluff pick up a used rem for $300 and have it trued for another $50-$200.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I know a 'smith friend of mine doesn't recommend Jewell on hunting rifles. Looser tolerances are prefered on harder use rifles. I would sell the Jewell and just get a Timney.

Bad advice. a Timney is the last trigger I would put on a custom action, like trading a Chev Corvette for a Daewoo Leganza.

IC B2

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hey, the Daewoo Lasagna is............well its a POS!

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I was out shooting my Stiller/270 WSM today. Scope is a Nightforce 2.5-10 in Talley low mounts. Feeds smooth, and no problem with cases hitting scope.
Like Burleyboy said, trued 700 is a fine action, but with the other bells and whistles, which I personally appreciate, might as well go custom.
As to the Jewell trigger, I currently have two, and had another on a custom several years ago. I have never had a problem with one. When I had my last custom built I heard the same thing about BAT actions, that they were built with such close tolerances they would get jammed up with dust or debris in the field. Never had that happen with the BAT, or a Jewell trigger. Sometime I wonder if people aren't imagining some worst case scenario, or they actually expect to roll the rifle around in the dirt.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
Sounds like SCHOOLCRAFT's rifle?

Originally Posted by nsaqam
Sounds like SCHOOLCRAFT's rifle?

Yep.

We lefties look out for one another.

Gotta thank Lee (Redneck) for mentioning my name to Mr. Schoolcraft and thank Mr. Schoolcraft for hooking me up nicely.

Thanks guys!
Sheesh... he just built that sucker.

Originally Posted by Kenneth
SchoolCraft? That the Guy with the '06 NULA that couldn't never make up his mind?

Serious?

Yep. That be me....

The rifle I just sold to NSAQAM was to help with one of lifes little financial suprises...but it won't be long before I'm gathering parts for another build. (I hope).

The NULA .30-06.....no comment. Kinda' rushed into that purchase.

That's one very cool thing about the CampFire....I've learned SO MUCH about upper end rifles/custom builds from you guys.
I'm amazed at how much knowledge some of you have about this stuff.

As for the Stiller action, I've been really happy with them. They do a little use to really smooth up. Jerry and Russ are really nice guys to deal with.

SCHOOLCRAFT

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, but put me on top of the list for the next one huh?

I'm thinking I would like a short action, maybe .308?

Let's just say I'm, pre-ordering my next pre-owned rifle.

Cool?

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Both my Left Stillers are excellent shooters. Will use one again and again and again.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1minute, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,899 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,576
Posts18,453,975
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.