Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
So, I am looking for a 7mm LR, 6.5-284, or, the 6XC. The ONLY reason the 6XC is an option is barrel life, i'de rather not get a 7mm LR and have to get a new barrel every year, same with the 6.5-284. Overall performance wise, 6.5-284 is my favorite, but barrel life is a huge deal as well. I'de easily prefer a 6.5x47 lapua over this, but brass isn't as available and the performance isn't all that much better. Should a go with the 6XC or should I stick with the 6.5-284? Not: This is to be used primarily for hunting.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You plan on running 1500 rounds a year through a hunting rifle?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My last 6XC barrel went 2800 rounds. Getting re-tubed right now. Best coyote rifle I've ever used.

You might look at getting a .260.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Somewhat of an exaggeration, but I do want a gun that can take a good bit of shooting. Maybe 400 rounds at least annually. I like to practice with my hunting rifles reguardless of the time of year.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I like the .260, it is respectable, but it just isn't the type of caliber I'm looking into, if I was going to get something like a .260, I'de go with a .280 AI or a .270 WSM. Just not what I'm looking for.

Last edited by BagABuck; 12/03/12.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think you'd be just fine as far as 'barrel life' was concerned with either of your 7mm or 6.5 options, and you'll find yourself the weakest link in the equation (not a diss by any means, I'm saying here that a consistently accurate rifle will routinely point out your shooting flaws).

I think there are cheaper options than the Gunwerks setup, however, that'll get you to a good place.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you're serious about shooting then why let barrel life be a consideration at all? Just budget for replacement barrels every 1-2 years.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hehe, the day I can outshoot any rifle ever made, it's time to move on to something else. I want a rifle I can "grow in to." I prefer a rifle that can outshoot me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good call. BTW, Gunwerks will likely chamber any round you specify... (7 SAUM).

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Buy a plain old 243 win and run h1000 with 105's. I have a 7 lrm and a 6.5x284 and would get rid of either of those before I would my 243.

Bb

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not a 6BR with Lapua brass? You will get great barrel life and a super accurate package. You can get 2900-2950 fps with a 105 gr bullet.

Read this and see if it suits you:

Why the 6BR Will Continue to Grow in Popularity
(thanks to German Salazar)

I have to say that shooting and loading the 6BR is so rewarding that I can barely get motivated to shoot anything else. After all these years of .308 shooting in NRA Match Rifle, ISSF 300 Meter, NRA/CMP Service Rifle and Palma, discovering the accuracy, mildness and ease of loading of the 6BR is like striking gold. I feel like the William Hurt character in that now old movie The Big Chill who puts on a pair of sneakers for the first time in his life and is so overwhelmd by their comfort that he wears them 24/7.

The 6BR exhibits all these same characteristics and a few more pleasant ones as well, such as low recoil and accuracy even exceeding the .308�which is nothing to sneeze at! When I had my first 6BR put together, my intention was to use it strictly for 300 meter shooting; I didn�t believe it would be effective at 600 yards. Then, one afternoon, I happened to shoot 30 rounds of leftover ammo at 600 yards from the 6BR. The first shot hit low with my guessed-at zero. The remaining 29 shots were twenty-one Xs and eight 10s. That wiped the sleep from my eyes and a fair number of rifles in my safe suddenly looked very old-fashioned. When �everyone� shot a .308 both in bolt guns and in service rifles, there were a number of different loads for different purposes/distances, etc. However, if your rifle wouldn�t shoot decently with 40 to 41 grains of IMR 4895 and a Sierra 168, it was time for a visit to the gun doctor.

Similarly, every 6BR that I�ve dealt with will shoot 30 grains of Varget and a 105- to 108-grain bullet (bare or moly) very well indeed. While charge adjustment for the particular lot of Varget is a must, and seating depth fiddling is always useful, the basic load is there: 30.0 Varget and a 105�if it won�t shoot that, it isn�t the load�s fault.

I don�t think too many years will pass before we see the 6BR as the truly dominant cartridge in US prone shooting (other than 1000 yards) just as it is already the dominant cartridge in Europe for 300 meter shooting (though the 6XC in Norma brass did well this year). The fact that the 6BR has already spawned a number of wildcats (Dasher, 6BRX, 6BRDX) shows the extent to which people recognize its accuracy while still seeking a little more speed in our classical American way. Still, I think it�s the basic, standard 6mmBR cartridge that we�ll see at the top of the heap.

Finally, while the useful brass is European (Lapua and Norma) and it was largely European shooters who popularized it, the 6BR is an All-American cartridge. The 6BR was developed by benchrest shooter Jim Stekl, a Remington engineer who chafed at shooting the 6PPC (based on a Russian service cartridge) and wanted a US-born rival. While the 6BR never did tear up the Benchrest world, Stekl may yet get the last laugh as it takes over Highpower prone�a much bigger sport. � German Salazar, ShootersJournal.com

Last edited by Azshooter; 12/04/12.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by BagABuck
I like the .260, it is respectable, but it just isn't the type of caliber I'm looking into, if I was going to get something like a .260, I'de go with a .280 AI or a .270 WSM. Just not what I'm looking for.

Not that it's any if my business but can't wrap my head around that logic?

What would make one put a 260 in same thought as a 280 or 270wsm? Seems like saying I like pizza but I likely just get a sandwich or ice cream. All is good but different.

Should add that if I had questions on picking a rifle for hunting and longer range fun I'd do whatever Pat said. If he thinks a 260 is good I'd go with it. Only reason I'm not is I had a couple long actions and local smith turning out decent 6.5-284's. so I built a heavy and sporter.

When the heavy barreled one goes out ill spend 4-450 and get back after it. Doubt ill toast the barrel on the "hunting gun". More than likely ill rebarrel due to gun a.d.d before barrel is shot out.

Not a doubt in my mind I'd have a GAP 6 somethin 260,708, or 308 built if I was in your shoes.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Azshooter
Why not a 6BR with Lapua brass? You will get great barrel life and a super accurate package. You can get 2900-2950 fps with a 105 gr bullet.

Read this and see if it suits you:

Why the 6BR Will Continue to Grow in Popularity
(thanks to German Salazar)

I have to say that shooting and loading the 6BR is so rewarding that I can barely get motivated to shoot anything else. After all these years of .308 shooting in NRA Match Rifle, ISSF 300 Meter, NRA/CMP Service Rifle and Palma, discovering the accuracy, mildness and ease of loading of the 6BR is like striking gold. I feel like the William Hurt character in that now old movie The Big Chill who puts on a pair of sneakers for the first time in his life and is so overwhelmd by their comfort that he wears them 24/7.

The 6BR exhibits all these same characteristics and a few more pleasant ones as well, such as low recoil and accuracy even exceeding the .308�which is nothing to sneeze at! When I had my first 6BR put together, my intention was to use it strictly for 300 meter shooting; I didn�t believe it would be effective at 600 yards. Then, one afternoon, I happened to shoot 30 rounds of leftover ammo at 600 yards from the 6BR. The first shot hit low with my guessed-at zero. The remaining 29 shots were twenty-one Xs and eight 10s. That wiped the sleep from my eyes and a fair number of rifles in my safe suddenly looked very old-fashioned. When �everyone� shot a .308 both in bolt guns and in service rifles, there were a number of different loads for different purposes/distances, etc. However, if your rifle wouldn�t shoot decently with 40 to 41 grains of IMR 4895 and a Sierra 168, it was time for a visit to the gun doctor.

Similarly, every 6BR that I�ve dealt with will shoot 30 grains of Varget and a 105- to 108-grain bullet (bare or moly) very well indeed. While charge adjustment for the particular lot of Varget is a must, and seating depth fiddling is always useful, the basic load is there: 30.0 Varget and a 105�if it won�t shoot that, it isn�t the load�s fault.

I don�t think too many years will pass before we see the 6BR as the truly dominant cartridge in US prone shooting (other than 1000 yards) just as it is already the dominant cartridge in Europe for 300 meter shooting (though the 6XC in Norma brass did well this year). The fact that the 6BR has already spawned a number of wildcats (Dasher, 6BRX, 6BRDX) shows the extent to which people recognize its accuracy while still seeking a little more speed in our classical American way. Still, I think it�s the basic, standard 6mmBR cartridge that we�ll see at the top of the heap.

Finally, while the useful brass is European (Lapua and Norma) and it was largely European shooters who popularized it, the 6BR is an All-American cartridge. The 6BR was developed by benchrest shooter Jim Stekl, a Remington engineer who chafed at shooting the 6PPC (based on a Russian service cartridge) and wanted a US-born rival. While the 6BR never did tear up the Benchrest world, Stekl may yet get the last laugh as it takes over Highpower prone�a much bigger sport. � German Salazar, ShootersJournal.com

this doesn't appear to have done the OP any good, but it sure got me scratching my head. 105 A-Max at 2900 from just 30 g of Vargitt? I'll take one!

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This year one of our hunters brought his 6XC out for an antelope hunt. It was a neat rig but he left his ammo at home.

He had a backup rifle, so and had a good hunt. But he couldn't very well go to town and buy a box of 6XC like one could for, say, a .243.

Scenarshooter, what's your favorite 6mm bullet for minimal coyote hide damage?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
This year one of our hunters brought his 6XC out for an antelope hunt. It was a neat rig but he left his ammo at home.

He had a backup rifle, so and had a good hunt. But he couldn't very well go to town and buy a box of 6XC like one could for, say, a .243.

I wonder who that dumbass hunter was. Geez!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OP - you state 'Hunting' as primary use.

WHAT specifically? Deer? If so, a 6mm will do a bang up job.

A standard 243 either w/a twist to accomadate, some/all Rem's use a 9 1/8 and will run 105s, OR a custom tube in 8" - my preference will do.

No doubt a 6XC is a great round, as the BR - the latter should give a much better bore life, but if you get 2,800 as above poster, that's very reasonable IMHO for the performance.

My 6BR std did 2850 using 28.5 varget/105 Amax, and dropped a deer w/in 25 steps of impact, at 400 yds. A 243 or XC w/that bullet will surely add another 100 yds or so.

I have run many BRs, NEVER owned a PPC. For Paper to 300, a PPC might edge it out, but for hunting, the BR can handle heavier bullets better, so it's what I chose.

I'd have to say, the XC is on my 'bucket list' but if brass is a concern, consider this round:

http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

Good luck whatever you choose, sure you will enjoy!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog

115gr Berger VLD....yellow box.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I think the 6XC is a neat cartridge, but doesn't seem logical comparing it to a 6.5-284. Two totally different animals.

When my 243 dies it will probably become a 260.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I think the 6XC is a neat cartridge, but doesn't seem logical comparing it to a 6.5-284. Two totally different animals.

When my 243 dies it will probably become a 260.

or the 6mm CreedMoor grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm thinking of rebarreling my 22-250 to 6XC this spring. I shoot prairie dogs out in Utah in the winter when there is nothing else to shoot. The places I go there are not big colonies, just scattered dens. Most of the shooting is 300 to 700, or more. Ranges get too long in the always present breeze for the 52 gr bullets I shoot from my 14 twist barrel.
I had thought to go with another 22-250 and a fast twist barrel, but I want to be able to shoot the Berger Hunting VLD's. They have been working really well for me this year in 7mm, on 'chucks out to 1100+ yards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.