-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I noticed in the store yesterday that most 20 ga sabot rounds have had a decrease in stated velocity. My Winchester Partition Gold 3" have a stated velocity of 2000fps. The rounds in store are stated to be 1850fps.

I noticed this with Federal as well as the Barnes Expanders being discontinued.

Remington is still at 1900fps for both 2 3/4" ultra cor-lokts and the accutip in 3" is still 1900fps. Anyone know what is up with this?

Glad we will be going to get the ok for rifle here in Wisconsin in the areas that are presently only shotgun, mzldr, and handgun. We can get away from that recoil along with the cost of the sabot rounds.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
GB1

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Pro-chrono and it works great for the most part. It does seem to struggle with sabots (shotgun or muzzleloader) and placement of the unit is critical. When I chrono�d the 2 3/4 and 3 inch Accutips in my Savage 220 both were about 1800 fps. The 3 inch only recoiled more, but were more accurate. The 2 3/4 Hornady loads advertised at 1800 or so were actually 1600 fps if I remember right.

Maybe ammo makers are just posting more realistic velocities for sabot slugs?

Getting a chrony and actually shooting over it sure makes one scratch their head initially. All is not as advertised eek. Don't even get me started on my handloads tested vs 'book' velocities.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep.

Although the 20 gauge loads seem to clock far closer to advertised than do 12's.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djb
I have a Pro-chrono and it works great for the most part. It does seem to struggle with sabots (shotgun or muzzleloader) and placement of the unit is critical. When I chrono’d the 2 3/4 and 3 inch Accutips in my Savage 220 both were about 1800 fps. The 3 inch only recoiled more, but were more accurate. The 2 3/4 Hornady loads advertised at 1800 or so were actually 1600 fps if I remember right.

Getting a chrony and actually shooting over it sure makes one scratch their head initially. All is not as advertised eek. Don't even get me started on my handloads tested vs 'book' velocities.

Having the plastic hit the display of my F1 Chrony was bad enough so I put a piece of Lexan over the display of my second one. I clocked the Federal Barnes at 1857fps. I have chronied no more.

Out of all the different ones I tried, the Barnes Expanders were the best killing offering out there. The Partition Golds seemed to pencil thru and the Remington Ultra Cor-Lokts were inconsistent lot to lot but a gold killing slug

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
chainsaw...i'm curious to know how you found out that Federal was discontinuing the Barnes Expanders?....thanks in advance....

IC B2

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had to place my chrony pretty close to the muzzle � I assume before the bullet/sabot separation occurred.

The Accutips may look gimmicky, but they are accurate and kill very well. I recovered one on a quartering to shot on a large doe and it looks like the pic in a magazine add. I love the Barnes TMZ in my Omega. The sabots sure are pricey, but it is what we are allowed to hunt with here since �high powered rifles� are soooo much more dangerous.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bearit
chainsaw...i'm curious to know how you found out that Federal was discontinuing the Barnes Expanders?....thanks in advance....

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/f...a58004fdcc87d5&p=3920041#post3920041

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Federal is replacing the Barnes Expander with the Trophy Copper Slug.

[Linked Image]

Not shown, but the Trophy Copper Slug also uses a sabot.

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Barnes tipped load by federal was very accurate; not as much as the Accubond. I tried a box of the new trophy copper and would be lucky to hit a volleyball at 100 yds.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Originally Posted by djb
I have a Pro-chrono and it works great for the most part. It does seem to struggle with sabots (shotgun or muzzleloader) and placement of the unit is critical. When I chrono’d the 2 3/4 and 3 inch Accutips in my Savage 220 both were about 1800 fps. The 3 inch only recoiled more, but were more accurate. The 2 3/4 Hornady loads advertised at 1800 or so were actually 1600 fps if I remember right.

Having the plastic hit the display of my F1 Chrony was bad enough so I put a piece of Lexan over the display of my second one. I clocked the Federal Barnes at 1857fps. I have chronied no more.

Out of all the different ones I tried, the Barnes Expanders were the best killing offering out there. The Partition Golds seemed to pencil thru and the Remington Ultra Cor-Lokts were inconsistent lot to lot but a gold killing slug
um to my thinking when a 12 or 20 ga. slug "pencil" through still makes on e big hole even compared to a 30 cal. bullet all expanded out. but I aint much of a slug shooter only seen one deer shot with a slug and that was a 3.5in commander slug

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
and just a theory on slugs chrono slow could be if the sabot is aleady running behide the projectile ith could interfering with the reading by the chronograph

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bearit

Since Barnes is now loading and marketing its own ammo, the agremeent between ATK and Barnes was voided. As a result, you'll see no more Barnes bullets loaded in Federal cartridges.
As an aside, unless Barnes is planning on loading sabot slugs, I see no reason to have discontinued the loading of the Expander in Federal slugs - JMHO.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (1234, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 59 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,052
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.