Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I posted up a reply about a month ago but for some reason it either didn't make it through, or whatever???? So starting again this time with a thread.

Hornady sent out their new catalog about 1 month ago and 1 of the new bullet options out there is the reconfigured Horandy 250 Grain MonoFlex Bullet for muzzleloading. They have coupled them either in the Low Drag sabot or the Lock-N-Load Speed sabot. Now I don't like the sabot, but that's an easy fix....LOL

One of the things I like is that Hornady knows there is issues with their SST bullet as it was based off the rifle bullet, and as everyone knows they don't like to expand after impact. Even they stated you need at least 2200 FPS muzzle velocity on their site. I have talked with them on numerous occasions about why the even offer it in the first place in ML with no avail. Well now it looks like they answered the call and fired back with a low impact non lead bullet.

It appears that they opened the void more in the center to act better like a catalyst, and thus allow lower velocity expansion down to a claimed 1128 FPS. With the lead free the total length becomes longer which means more fascia to barrel contact, right? So one would think that these bullets should have even a higher ballistic coefficient, right?

So if all this is true, and the base design is off the SST which has great ballistic coefficient of .210 with a Sectional Density .175, then why are the new MonoFlex rated at only ballistic coefficient of .115 with a Sectional Density of .170?????

Is there something I'm missing?

I am awaiting stock so I can try them, and I am REALLY wanting to try them because I don't like the SST but I need the .452 bullet for long range hunting.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Sabots-Bullets-new

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Now I don't like the sabot, but that's an easy fix....LOL

[Linked Image]

What the Hell's that, a Popsicle? crazy

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
LOL

That's what I thought about the Lock-N-Load speed sabot as well. I don't know how good those things would ever work. I mean you have 3 pellets under that thing always and you just drop it in. One would think that if that tang got a little off that it would just smash between one of the pellets and have the possibility of a grenade going off in your hands.

NO THANKS!

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
137 members (2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,813 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.