Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
22WRF I purchased a Winchester model-70 featherweight (one of the first when they brought back the CRF in the early 80s) that shot extremely low and was told I needed to shim the bases. I sent it back to Winchester and they checked the square on the action and barrel and replaced the barrel. It is one of the most accurate rifles I have ever shot. I bedded it to a brown precision stock and it will group inside a dime all day long with good factory ammo and under an inch with cheap stuff. I just know what is right and wrong and something is not right with the Kimber.

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 22WRF

"How can you be so sure that Kimber wasn't screwed together, crooked?"
Why would that make a difference. The mounts go on one piece - the receiver.

Sure, the mounts are on the receiver. That's a given. If the barrel/receiver junction is canted, that may well explain why the gun is shooting so far off. Just think about it... blush

DF

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
stormshadow,

How much adjustment right or left did you need to make when you used the Talley's ?

If it not very much then you would need to shim the base. You can go to a hobby shop and get a package of brass for a couple dollars and make your own shims.

When I mount a scope I make sure the cross hairs are mechanically centered on the scope then I mount it. Then shim the bases to center the cross hairs to no more than 2 MOA adjustment with the scope. You want to have the cross hairs is close to centered in the scope mechanically. Because it can cause accuracy problems at long distances.

I have a Winchester Model 70 pre-64 257 Roberts that had the same problem shims solved it. Having mounted several thousand scopes I have come across extreme problems only 3 times, all were solved with shims.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by bea175
You need to replace the bases and the maybe the rings and this should take care of your problem . Nothing wrong with the rifle , it is a ring and base problem . You might want to try another scope first just to rule the scope out as the problem before spending anymore money .

Glad somebody else has common sense, apparently the OP doesnt!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Originally Posted by bea175
You need to replace the bases and the maybe the rings and this should take care of your problem . Nothing wrong with the rifle , it is a ring and base problem . You might want to try another scope first just to rule the scope out as the problem before spending anymore money .

Glad somebody else has common sense, apparently the OP doesnt!

After 3 different pairs of mounts I don't think changing them again will help....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
with a 5" ring spacing that would amount to a .05" shim...

I agree with Redneck that a crooked barrel to receiver fit is likely.

Mike

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Something I have seen before(but not as bad as op is saying ) espcially with lite barrels exccessive "up" barrel pressure on the end of the stock can change POI a lot , only way i know to check this is "credit card bed " the action so as the barrel is floated or very lite contact and see how much the POI changes. Don't belive me take a known rifle that is floated and take it out of the stock and rap a bunch of black tape around barrel (to make lots of up pressure) where it hits the end of the stock put back in stock and see how high it shoots.

S
OP Offline
S
After 3 sets of rings and bases and 3 different scopes all with the same problem its not the bases or the scope. Pulled the rings off and check the square on the Leupold bases and it was perfect. Pulled the stock and placed a square on the front portion of the action and rotated the rifle. The wobble at the end of the barrel was something to behold. Looking at where the barrel attaches to the action there appears to be a very small space between the action and barrel on the bottom side of the action which explains why it was hitting high. She has been boxed up and sent back to Kimber. Hopefully they will pull the barrel this time and check it. Thanks again for everyone's input

Last edited by stormshadow; 12/13/12.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,932 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.