Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good evening all.

I am looking at an old side by side double and trying to decide it its measurements are something that I can work with.

LOP is 13 3/4 and drop is 1 7/8 and 2 3/4. I have measured a couple of guns that I shoot better than any others and found LOP of 14 1/4 and drop of 1 5/8 and 2 3/8 on one and LOP of 14 1/8 and drop is 1 5/8 and 2 1/2 on the other.

That puts the prospective purchase at about 1/2" shorter LOP. about 1/4" more drop at the comb and 1/4" or so difference at the heel.

I don't know enough to know is differences like that are likely to be significant.

Another issue to stir into the pot is that I have been fighting a neck and back injury for a few years and my posture isn't what it should be. I am thinking that with the shorter LOP and longer drop numbers, shooting the prospective purchase would require me to stand up a little straighter. That might help me with the posture issue. If anybody cares to offer some advice along that line I'd sure appreciate it. Its easier to justify a medical expense at my house than another old shotgun!

Thanks for your help

Jim

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am not a fitting expert, but in my opinion a shorter LOP is going to make you "hunch" into the gun more.

If it were me it would really depend on the gun and how much I felt I really wanted/needed it. Also if it was a gun I didn't mind having altered.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/12/12.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That is a tremendous amount of drop in such a short stock. Judging from the measurements of your other guns, I would think that when you mounted the new shotgun that you would be looking at the back of your thumb. This is a recipe for raising your head from the stock. You will also have much more perceived recoil from the new stock. Were it me, I would pass but that is your decision.

RS

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks gentlemen. That's just the kind of info I needed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually, the excess drop is somewhat compensated by the short length of pull.

Short stocks will make you shoot high.

Lots of drop will make you shoot low.

These two factors compensate. But, nothing compensates for the thumb in your nose. grin

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Those old boys had to shoot with their head up or use their chin as a cheek weld or they would see little but the back of the receiver. Most of those old crooked stock shotguns were noted for kicking like the proverbial mule.

Something to be said for shooting with the head more up, in that you look through the center of your eye instead of the top third. We don't walk around looking at things with our head tilted down proving the point. However excessive stock drop is not the best way to arrive at doing so.

Last edited by battue; 12/13/12.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have an 1888 Gewehr that punches my thumb into my nose if I load it with 200 grain bullets. It does make it hard to follow through on the shot.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Although it may sound like a phony reason to not buy a gun, shotguns should feel comfortable to the shooter. I've built several dozen over the years and those dimensions are not condusive to comfort. In other words, when a shotgun does not fit properly, you have to really work at trying to shoot it well.

Been there and done that and I would pass on any gun with those dimensions.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I have never been able to shoot the Browning BPS shotgun because it just dose not fit me, which is a drag since I shoot shoulder guns left handed and I liked the ambidexterity it affords, much like the Ithaca 37, which I love to shoot.

In your situation i would suggest shooting a box or two through it if possible and then consider a thickened recoil pad or spacer for the LOP and considering having it modified to fit. As for the drop, a good carpenter could raise that for you. A lot of messing around to get it right in my opinion.

In stock fitting 1/8" can seem like a mile....

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sixslug, I suggest you shoot a pattern board to see where the poi is. That will tell you a lot.

1. Is the BPS stock the same length as the other guns you shoot well?

2. Check to see if the BPS stock has any cast?

Did the BPS come with any shims to change heighth and cast?

Does the buttstock fit right with your shoulder when mounting the gun? The pitch could be wrong for you, which effects how the gun points.

Answer these questions and we will have a solution,I would think

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I duck hunt with a pair of shotguns my salt water gun is a CZ Bobwite SXS 1 1/2" & 2 1/8" LOP 13 1/2" Shortenned for me, and a 1941 Husqvarna 51 SXS hammer shotgun 1 3/4 & 2 5/8 LOP 13 1/2" again shortenned. I shoot both pretty well and and don't really notice the difference. I do know it is way more satisfying to drop a pair of ducks with the Husky than the CZ. The Husky just feels good, not the fit but just holding it, maybe 70yrs of gunning has smoothed the edges.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 12/14/12.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks Fred, I think it is the pitch.
Every one I have ever shot, 3 in total, have all punched me in the cheek. I have noticed they are straighter thru the sightline and a little higher than my model 12's and 37's.

The BPS is a beautiful gun, just wish I could fit one!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sixslug, are you cheeking the gun extra hard?

What kind of loads are you shooting?

And what type of shooting are you participating in?

This is off the top of my head, so if I am wrong, just say so.. I was told years ago, to cheek a shotgun really hard to weld my cheek to the gun. I could never accept that analogy as I would get my cheek bone busted every time. I cheek a gun firmly, but never cheek like I was told to do.

PM me with your story and lets see if we can figure out what goes on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
609 members (219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.