Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Looking to get into bow hunting, problem is, I don't know alot about bows. I know that for my intended purpose (whitetail) Usually comes around 30-40 pounds of pull. I don't know about good crosshairs, good arrows, reasonable weight, or any other variables I might have left out. I know scent is a big deal, but that can be handled. Please help me out, I need to know a good bow for beginners, but I don't know where to start. Thanks for your time.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The best place for you to start is 1) Bowhunters safety course. 2) your local archery pro shop. Anyone that tells you any different is very misguided.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Montana creek is right
It ain't hard I started bow hunting several years ago at 45 and am hooked.
Up close intense and awesome !!

I doubled this year Tom and doe in one afternoon
saw a real good buck too just out of range for me (45 yards)
Used bows are cheap do it

Last edited by Tanglewood; 12/12/12.
H
Hoz Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Go to your local archery shop and shoot all kinds of bows. Dont rush into it, you have time. And good used bows are very reasonably priced.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What the other guys said, but if you absolutely can't wait until you've had bowhunter's safety make sure to check your state's regulations to see if there are minimums - arrow weight and length, and bow poundage, before buying gear.

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
The best place for you to start is 1) Bowhunters safety course. 2) your local archery pro shop. Anyone that tells you any different is very misguided.

What he said...many of us are hard down on the box stores (Dick's, Gander, Bass Pro) for the lack of knowledge, qualified help, and selection of bows over the counter. Yes, there are exception, but far and few between.

Your local archery Pro Shop will have a better selection, and bows are like boots, a quick try in the store doesn't mean you won't get blisters/not like the bow later. Shoot as many as you can BEFORE you decide which one to buy. Plus, yiu are dealing with people that make their living from teaching archery to people like yourself. Money doesn't mena better, a top end (expednsive) Mathews and a mid-grade (reasonable) Mission bow have a lot of the same features, just a different wrapper...

Originally Posted by kcnboise
What the other guys said, but if you absolutely can't wait until you've had bowhunter's safety make sure to check your state's regulations to see if there are minimums - arrow weight and length, and bow poundage, before buying gear.

Your state is not on your post, so not sure where you are located. Other regulations in some states include no light bow sights, no LED (lit) nocks. KCB is spot on, check your local regs, you could end up buying a bunch of stuff you can't legally use.

Welcome to the 'Fire and please ask your questions, it can be a challenge sorting through the new tech and tangle of modern archery equipment.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Another good way to go is locate a local bowhunting club in your area. They can help with regulations and you can see what types of bows are out there

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd check your local regulations to see what's legal. Some of what you're thinking about isn't legal in my state.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I believe your from Minnesota?

Lots of archery shops scattered throughout the State.

Believe minimum draw weight is 40 lbs there?

Don't be afraid to pick up a used bow that's 3-6 years old. Will save you quite a bit and while some people think the newest thing out there is the greatest, there's nothing wrong with something that's depreciated.

I think I just completed my 4th season on my Diamond Black Ice and I have no desire to change bows.

Good Luck

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
all very good advice given here on equipment.

aside from following their suggestions, i'd recommend you speak to other bowhunters you may know and read as much publications as possible in the off-season. bowin' is a bit different from gun in that you've got to get up close & personal grin with the deer. you mentioned scent which is very important, but naturally there are other important variables to consider, ie; camo patterns, stand placement, stealth, etc.

it may sound a bit confusing to you at first, but it's really pretty simple once you get into it. also, it'll make you a better gun hunter imho.

btw, i own a 13 yr old browning setup and shoot my limit darn near every year since i bought it new. wink

good luck.

-ken

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Most states have Bowhunter Associations. Do a quick google search of your state... ex NC Bowhunter Association. You will usually find a list of Archery clubs throughout the state along with meeting times and events. At these events you'll find people more than willing to help out, you'll be able to shoot any number of different bows from Traditional Longbows to funny looking things with wheels on the ends smile

Call if you have specific questions & I'll try to help.
Mike Ballenger
7 Lakes Longbows

The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is difficult to determine whether or not they are genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is my first year bowhunting and I've never had so much fun.
I finally plunked down some cash at my local pro-Shop and got rigged up at the end of last Winter. I've been practicing since.
I took my state's bow course a few years back, but a shoulder injury and resulting surgery put things on hold.

Haven't got a deer yet this year. Missed a couple (my errors) and learned not to climb a rock maple. It's like learning how to hunt all over again, but in a different way. I figure, this year was a learning year and I learned a lot since September.

It's crazy. I'm 52, have 4 anchors and shoelaces holding my shoulder together and I'm climbing trees in the dark in this Summit contraption.
Like I said, haven't had this much fun in a while!
(And I still have a week and a half left to hunt)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
457 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 320090T, 257 mag, 49 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.