Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#7155730 - 12/07/12 03:38 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: DakotaDeer]
nighthawk Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NE South Dakota
Gotta agree with Doc, even without the music (which didn't seem to fit) the bouncing wide angle shots made me give up maybe half way through. Good effort though. I think Benny Spies gives a good example of where to start though hunting shows are not my thing. His are a lot like hunts I've had except turned up a bunch of notches. Seems to be trite advice these days but think along the lines of telling a story rather than just a bunch of action.

(Definitely a resident)

#7156511 - 12/07/12 07:02 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: ConsummateSportsman]
luv2safari Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: NW NV & Far NW MT
Originally Posted By: ConsummateSportsman
Wow, tough crowd here. I'd like to see some of you put together a video that meets your standards.

So sorry to offend you.

I used to and had a full video editing studio, back when all the commercial stuff was done on 3/4" tape.

I would never have done one remotely like this one of yours, sorry.

I'm awfully sick of all the crummy music and testosterone overloaded vid like this.

Hunting used to have a certain grace and pastoral feel to it. It wasn't about waging war on critters and making dogs slaves.

Sorry again, but I have made them, and nothing like this one.

#7160316 - 12/08/12 08:30 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: luv2safari]
selmer Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Upper Midwest
You have good dogs to work over - praise them for it, even when they find hens. Contrary to rural legend, no dog can tell the difference between the scent of a rooster and of a hen. I'm on my first dog (weim) and now understand the guys that I hunt with once a year that don't measure the success of a hunt by limits of birds. I grew up in the thick of SD's best pheasant hunting in Miller when it was unbelievable and only worried about shooting my limit. Today I measured the success of my hunt by Lucy locking up hard on the four birds that held for her - all hens, and sticking with the ones that ran on her and flushing them within range - all hens. Each one received extensive praise and congratulations, even as she looked at me trying to tell me I was an idiot for not shooting. Now she's curled at my side resting from many miles of work and I didn't clean a single bird, yet count it a great day of hunting. Wouldn't have done that 10 years ago. I used to help guide non-residents. The one that think it's about yelling and screaming I would take to the side and tell them that I'm glad they're excited, but to cool it. It's annoying and unattractive. And I wouldn't listen to metal music if you paid me, complete turnoff.

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile

#7160428 - 12/08/12 09:15 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: selmer]
mtmiller Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Montana
I will have to disagree with some...the music was pretty good.

Edited by mtmiller (12/09/12 02:07 PM)

#7170761 - 12/11/12 01:02 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: mtmiller]
DocRocket Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Gone To Texas
We all have music we like, music we don't like, music we love, and music we hate.

I guess it all comes down to asking yourself, "What am I trying to say? What am I promoting with this video?" If it's pheasant hunting for metal-heads, then the OP hit the nail on the head. But if it's pheasant hunting for pheasant hunters of all musical tastes, not so much.

I like classical music, but I'd rather there be no music at all in a hunting video, except maybe in the opening or closing credits, or during a transition scene.

#7170805 - 12/11/12 01:16 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: DocRocket]
stantdm Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: South Dakota
I am with those who would prefer no music and a great deal of respect between hunters and their dogs.

#7172245 - 12/11/12 06:34 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: DocRocket]
mtmiller Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Montana
Actually is was nasty in my initial post, hence the edit. I had to stick with something...I went with the music comment. whistle

#7173015 - 12/11/12 10:08 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: mtmiller]
ranger1 Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Central Montana
Didn't mind the music. The bouncy camera work made me dizzy and didn't do much for me. Some shots from those cameras showing kill shots would be cool. The whole video shot that way was annoying. Could definitely tell that you fellas were excited, guess that's a good thing...

#7176103 - 12/12/12 05:54 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: ranger1]
ewms Offline

Selmer I remember some of those days. Riding shot gun in the back of Big Red and shooting the last rooster clearing the house, a killing at the end of row walk etc... Then you get turned on and tuned in to pointy dogs, sloughs, cat tails, no whistles, just being there etc.. and it becomes an epiphany:)

#7177023 - 12/12/12 09:55 PM Re: South Dakota Pheasants [Re: selmer]
nighthawk Online   content
Campfire Tracker

Loc: NE South Dakota
Quote:
Contrary to rural legend, no dog can tell the difference between the scent of a rooster and of a hen.

A vet friend had this really super yellow lab, Belle. She would consistently flush roosters, seldom a hen though you know there were a lot more of those around. Neither of us really believed she could tell the difference by scent but we could find no other reason for her defying the odds so soundly. So who knows? Could make a case for roosters and hens smelling differently, but getting a dog to discern the difference would be something.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on VORTEX OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
749 registered (12savage, 16gauge, 01Foreman400, 1tnhunter, 1Longbow, 83 invisible), 1460 Guests and 442 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
CLICK HERE for AWESOME BIG GAME HUNTING ADVENTURES in AFRICA!
Forum Stats
50619 Members
72 Forums
637553 Topics
9149177 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.