Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
...a top of the line AHR 9,3x62..., now, THAT is my idea of a top notch serious BC working/hunting rifle.

I have had the considerable pleasure of dealing with Wayne by phone and have the utmost respect for him, his products and manner of doing business. I think that he offers a great value on some of the most useful and good looking rifles currently made and the old 9,3x62 is certainly one helluva round for about any game I can think of here in BC, at least.

I have, for some weird reason, this long held desire for a good, British style .404 Jeffery-I need one about as much as I need to vote "Liberal", but, ya know how it is.........

I might yet order such a rifle from Wayne, imported by Clay of Prophet River, in Alberta and just give those bull mosquitoes maxy hell! smile

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
That will be one nice rifle!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by kutenay
...a top of the line AHR 9,3x62..., now, THAT is my idea of a top notch serious BC working/hunting rifle.

I have had the considerable pleasure of dealing with Wayne by phone and have the utmost respect for him, his products and manner of doing business. I think that he offers a great value on some of the most useful and good looking rifles currently made and the old 9,3x62 is certainly one helluva round for about any game I can think of here in BC, at least.

I have, for some weird reason, this long held desire for a good, British style .404 Jeffery-I need one about as much as I need to vote "Liberal", but, ya know how it is.........

I might yet order such a rifle from Wayne, imported by Clay of Prophet River, in Alberta and just give those bull mosquitoes maxy hell! smile

Speaking of:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Very, very nice, I would be happy to give it a nice home and show it some fabulous BC mountain scenery, whenever you get "tired" of looking after it! wink

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, it is a nice handling gun, ballancing very well. The Zeiss Victory with FFP reticle is a very nice addition. I haven't hunted with it yet, am still working up loads. It's accurate as most 9.3x62's seem to be.

DF

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Speaking of:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DF.....................................................................................................

YOU SUCK!!! whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks, it is a nice handling gun, ballancing very well. The Zeiss Victory with FFP reticle is a very nice addition. I haven't hunted with it yet, am still working up loads. It's accurate as most 9.3x62's seem to be.

DF

I hope it shoots as good as it looks you lucky bastid....I need to work on some loads for mine as well. I'd feel better if it just shot ragged holes to make up for its uglieness laugh cry grin

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had Wayne build me a handful of rifles. I can assure you DF's 9.3x62mm shoots as good as it looks! grin

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's another 9.3x62, a customized FN 98/Shilen with Canjar trigger in a B&C Medalist, skim bedded and free floated. It's wearing a 6500 Elite 2.5-16x40 for load development and can swap out for the VX-6 1-6x24, Illuminated #4 for more serious work. Not as flashy but a good, solid working rig.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/18/12.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's another 9.3x62, a customized FN 98/Shilen with Canjar trigger in a B&C Medalist, skim bedded and free floated. It's wearing a 6500 Elite 2.5-16x40 for load development and can swap out for the VX-6 1-6x24, Illuminated #4 for more serious work. Not as flashy but a good, solid working rig.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very nice, I'll bet that is a shooter too.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I think that we discussed the building of that one here a few months ago?

I have two original Brno ZG-47s, with Satterlee safeties, one in a Micky Edge, MKX, the other going into a Rimrock from Borden and an original, very cherry Type B 1937 Obie with EAWs, and a Leupy 4x. plus a Lyman bolt peep, if I ever bother to install it.

I also have a CZ-550 in 9.3x62 and it is going into one of the Mickys that AHR used to use, plus one of his triggers, safeties and Martini-styled Recknagel banded ramp and "peep" rear sight.

I know that this is a "bit" excessive, but.......I have culled almost all my guns, other than my customized CRF hunting rifles and some of these came from trading off a lot of stuff that had sat in my safes for 15-25 years and was never fired. Here,in BC, rifles like this are actually useful, but, stuff like the fancy Kimber of Oregon Mod. 82 and lots of others I got rid of just seem to sit and are never used, so, I decided to just keep the types of guns I really relate to.

I would put irons on that, but, I am slightly more conservative than Attila the Hun, so, that's just my preference.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, we did go thru the building of the Mauser some time back.

It is accurate, but from early testing I think the AHR has the edge on tight groups. Time will tell, for sure. Guess I have to admit that maybe Wayne and company can build a more accurate rifle than I can.

I like the idea of thinning the gun safe and having fewer, but better guns, ones that actually get used. I'm not much on storing a stable of safe queens. Let someone else enjoy those guns.

DF

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, I won't even keep "better" guns for extended periods, so, sent my minty Wm. Powell English sxs down the road, a Browning BSS-Sidlock 20-28", unfired, an AFA XXV-SL-20 and more than a dozen other fine rifles, dumped my Dakota 76's lovely walnut stock and just kept the rifles I actually shoot or will use as time passes.

It does get to be more trouble with insurance and storage and maintainance then one get's enjoyment, but, it is a learning curve and I enjoyed seeking out and then finding a way to buy a lot of nice pieces....then, just lost interest and am slowly getting rid of most of my guns. But, I will not part with the 9,3s or my .338WM P-64s, nothing works for me in BC like these.

What loads are you using in your FN and AHR, I have been happy with Johnny B's forula with Ramshot Big Game in all of mine and most groups cut the moa standard. I also find this a very easy round to shoot, bit less thump than my .338s and considerably less than my .375s.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had just one 270 gr. load to sight them in. I have a good selection of bullets and all powders mentioned for that round, just not enough time during the holiday season. I'll get into load development after hunting season and will post my data.

I have JB's loads and posts on the Fire by others with good suggestions. I like the power of the 9.3x62 and the mild handling characteristics of such a potent round. My hunting buddy and I have been thinking about hunting Nilgai in South Texas and Ibex in New Mexico. I have other guns that would work for either, but think the 9.3 would be an interesting round to use. In the meantime, I will practice on Louisiana Whitetails and hogs.

I don't see much info on long range 9.3's, but with the 250 NAB's, the data out to 4-500 yds. looks pretty good. The B.C. on that bullet isn't bad. So, who knows, may be something to pursue.

DF

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would really like to try that and will by next April, plus, I would like to try a 270 gr. in a premium bullet, perhaps, that one with the rings all up the shaft.

I tend to think that most of us are better served by building these "practical customs" on sound actions, your FN is one of the best and then loading to 2600-2700 fps and practicing a lot.

Right now, it is snowing like blazes and the roads are a disaster, so, driving to my club-range ain't gonna happen, but, some serious experiments with lighter, high BC bullets in many of my "medium bores" is first on my agenda when the snow clears.

I have one ZG-47 action left from a "beater" that I stripped and it was a 9,3x62.....I am thinking a 9.3x64 as a friend has one and it really is a performer and, it's "different".

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I am thinking a 9.3x64 as a friend has one and it really is a performer and, it's "different".

It would be different, for sure, but didn't we have a Fire discussion earlier about the "64" not being that much of a bump up from the "62"? What's the scoop on that?

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DF, that is art work!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Thanks, George.

Now that I hijacked the .375 site to 9.3, time to take it back to the OP's heading. Here's my 21" recrowned .375 H&H M-70 SS Classic with NECG irons. It handles much better than the beefy 24" factory set up. I jerked the hot glue looking factory bedding out with pliars, Steel Bedded the lug. I drilled holes to capture the bedding as not much wants to stick to Tupperware. I honed and adjusted the New Haven trigger to a really nice 3#'s. It shoots great, as most .375's do. Down the road, maybe an Echols Legend... cool

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
DF,

An Echol's stock will be an improvement. The ergo's are excellent, and helps tame the felt recoil and allows one to recover and be back on target a bit quicker.

Just my two pennies, but if it were me I would replace the bases and rings on your .375 H&H!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had those already. I have Talley QD's on everything else, including my recently completed .404J on a SS Classic NH M-70. Those and the Legend are next phase upgrades.

DF

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 53 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,551
Posts18,453,584
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.