Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm running them on most of our firearms

I'll be. Seen (and admired) photo's of several of the rifles you've worked on -- some, nearly created -- but never noticed a trigger shoe.

Even the ones you built for the girls?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never had the wider shoe so much but I've always really liked the ability to move it north and south on the Citori's I've had.

I know it's not much and is probably completely a mental gymnastics thing but I've wished I had that set up on my rifles.

Get a comfortable hold on the stock regarding the arm angle but make the trigger go out far enough that it's just the tip of my finger on the trigger.

Hard to explain, I guess it allows me to open and close the grip on the stock without replacing it - at my whim. So to speak.

Last edited by teal; 12/12/12.

Me

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have no experience with a trigger shoe on a rifle. I do know of two accidental discharges with trigger shoes on revolvers. It seems that a trigger shoe that is wider than the trigger guard can catch on a holster with disconcerting results. I know one guy in particular who has a scar on his calf from a bullet that penetrated his holster.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Mako25
...... they can make taking a barreled action of out the stock a more complicated job

Didn't think of that!

Yeah. A whole (two) allen screws to loosen. real tough.

Personally, I like the 'feel' of a wide, serrated shoe. And have them on most of my guns.

I like mine ! It is installed on a Jewell set at two pounds. Could be wrong, but I think it distributes the pressure over a wider area thus making for a smoother pull. As stated, it might be "in my mind".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mako:
I trust that this finds you and yours doing well this winter evening sir.

Thanks very much for the kind words on my efforts, I do appreciate them.

Here's the youngest daughter's 722 that has since had a 700 trigger installed, so the safety looks different now. The shoe went back on the 700 trigger though. wink
[Linked Image]

Our eldest daughter's 96 Swede that I originally put together for my late father. It's a bit tough to see in this photo unless you blow it up a bit, but there's indeed a shoe there on the Dayton Traister trigger.
[Linked Image]

It all started awhile back with me though Jeff, as this is the first rifle I built for a special someone in my life - my wife. This is her .308 Norma based on a wartime Steyr built 98 action.

[Linked Image]

Hey, it's one of many, many quirks I've got Jeff - what can I say? blush

All the best to you and yours in the upcoming Christmas season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Mako25 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
what can I say?

Anything you'd like. I always enjoy your correspondence - a lot.

I've drooled over that Swede, and Norma before Dwayne, and not once did I notice the shoe! Says something 'bout the rest of the rifle, doesn't it?

Took a decent buck this year with a K98, converted to .358 Win, and enjoy carrying it, and looking at it (it's pretty) - but I'm just a check writer, with no particular talents.

Dwayne, Merry Christmas, to you and that fine family of yours.
In fact, I'm going to take a moment to reflect on just that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i dont see no use for them rem triggers are wide enough and the timney is wider yet

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I had a Winchester Model 52 target rifle in my teens (heavy barrel). The trigger was (in hindsight) pretty good with a clean break and, decent pull (had no scale to measure it). In my teen-age enthusiasm, I installed a trigger shoe to "improve" the trigger. It did make the trigger feel even lighter, but I (several times) occasionally fired the rifle while putting my finger into the trigger guard. Just keep this in mind.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've got them on several rifles that came with them already on it...

a Ruger 22 Magnum had one on it and actually gives a good feel, so I left it on it..

another was on a Husqavarna 270.. took it off, and the rifle had a horrid trigger... so I put it back on there...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
FWIW, Ttumbleweeds custom rifles in Texas makes a very nice trigger shoe for jewell triggers, He can make them with the Xmark face or the standard remington wide face made from machined aluminum they are nice !

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
144 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 11 invisible), 1,429 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,899
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.