Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
What weight of pull are you looking for ? When you start getting down in the oz's is where a jewell shines !!! And folk a 1.5 pound trigger ain't lite if you think it is you have not shot a good quilty lite trigger grin And a 1.5# trigger is very doable with a polishing and re springin and old style remington

Last edited by ldholton; 12/10/12.
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tanner
Have the smith tune up your 700 bang switch.
Agree with FVA. I've adjusted some of the older M-700's to a super clean 2.5-3# pull, as good as any custom trigger. If I had one like that, I'd probably stay factory.

I have or have had all the mentioned triggers. For serious long range rifles, I'd go Jewell. Those things are super.

For hunting guns, Timney is good and can be set pretty light. The Shilen is probably a better trigger than the Timney, but properly set up, it would be hard to tell the difference. I even have an HS made trigger, which to me is about like the Shilen. I even have two vintage Canjar hunting triggers, which are works of art. But, fine machining notwithstanding, I can't say the trigger pull is better than a well tuned Timeny or Shilen.

DF

J
JMP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
With few exceptions you generally "get what you pay for." I have had all of the above and strongly recommend a Jewell if you can afford it. I think they are vastly superior to the other options. The only 700 I don't have a Jewell on is an older B prefix action with a very well tuned factory trigger ---if money grew on trees it would have a Jewell too.

My preference is
1. Jewell
2. Properly tuned older factory 700 trigger
3. Shilen

G
GTN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No experience with Shilen but,

I am a 1pound kinda guy on my hunting rifles and I am in love with Jewell. I have Timney's and don't dis like but a well tuned factory 700 trigger I actually like better. I would go with the Jewell like you said ain't nothing cheap in custom guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have all of em. Best one is the new Remington Mark -X tuned by Neil Jones. Every bit as good or better than any aftermarket including Jewell.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Run the Jewell & don't look back!!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 163bc
I have all of em. Best one is the new Remington Mark -X tuned by Neil Jones. Every bit as good or better than any aftermarket including Jewell.
hows that mark-x at 2 oz. ? safe ? hold sear on a bolt slam ?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

You'll love it until that MIM trigger gets broken... frown

I've never seen photos of the old machined steel M-700 triggers, snapped off by UPS, etc. Maybe bent, never broken.

DF

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by ldholton

grin I've played with them all except for a Timney and I can't imagine what you would have to do to them to get them to feel like a Jewell, even at the same pull weight the Jewell has a much better feel!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Originally Posted by ldholton

grin I've played with them all except for a Timney and I can't imagine what you would have to do to them to get them to feel like a Jewell, even at the same pull weight the Jewell has a much better feel!

None are in the same class as the Jewell, IMHO.

To claim otherwise is strange, indeed.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used Jewell triggers in the past. They are no doubt great triggers, if you want a pull measured in ounces.

Anytime I want a pull of 1.5# or greater I'll take a Timney over the Jewell. For hunting I much prefer Timney.......

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The Jewell is wasted on a heavier trigger pull.

There are a bunch of much less expensive options for such applications. And with that, I agree with you.

DF

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 406_SBC
I've used Jewell triggers in the past. They are no doubt great triggers, if you want a pull measured in ounces.

Anytime I want a pull of 1.5# or greater I'll take a Timney over the Jewell. For hunting I much prefer Timney.......

The OP is talking about a Remington, the jewell is superior in every way to a Timney for a Remington or Winchester, the only time Timney is the CHOICE is when there is no other aftermarket trigger.......LOVE my Timney Sako trigger's !!!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
IMO, a Jewell doesn't become a "Jewell" until 2 1/2 lbs. and under. The one I have on a hunting rifle had a decernable "hitch" until I adjusted it to two pounds. The one on my bench rifle is set for 2 oz. Very nice !

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Agree with you, Jim.

It seems to me that the Jewell seems more manageable, set light, than the others. A Timney at a pound can feel a bit scary, at least to me. Not so with a Jewell.

DF

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by woodson
I've been gathering components for a fast twist 243 since June. SA700 SS is enroute (thanks Raghorn), Micky Edge MR handle, Rock #2 1-8 twist, Ptg BM, and Holland RL. She will be topped with a VX3 2.5x8-36. Last part I need is a trigger. Timney for like $130 vs Jewell for like $230. Now I realize being cheap and custom rifles don't go together. That said, is the Jewell REALLY worth the extra 100 clams??

I've been spamming our classifieds for a "stainless" unit with bolt release and safety (RH) with no luck. Anyone have one they're willing to part with?

If you are after accuracy and have an educated finger then Jewell is the only way, if you have a sporting rifle and your knuckles drag on the ground and/or you are shooting in the cold then Timney is your best bet.

ps, I believe that Arnold is to be cannonised next year.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
For a medium-light pull of 1-2 pounds the Jewell is great, and I would probably choose it over a tuned 700, Timney or Shilen. For a 2-3 pound pull any will do fine.

Under a pound and I like the Jard a lot. Have them on a Remington 700 Classic .221 Fireball and a benchrest 6mm PPC. Very fine triggers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I run Jewell's, but have had some OEM 700s, esp the older guns, which have lighter springs, that worked well, though had one that was prone to ADs, so, you may 'Roll the dice' w/a factory trigger.

Hear good things on Shilen. Had a Timney on Swedish Mausers, huge improvement, but not great, but that's just MY ltd experience. On Ruger #1's, the Kepplinger is UNREAL, an expensive albeit worthy investment.

Sounds like running a 2 contour, you want a hunting trigger from 2-3#, I agree w/above, all can give good service. Whether a premium is justified paying for a Jewell is subjective, in this scenario (2-3#).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went Timney, my rifle is for the field/hunting, heard from a smith I respect that he has seen Jewell's jam up with dust and dirt from regular use.

Like the Timney.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART
...and have an educated finger...

You bring up the point that bothers me the most about a Jewell.

The too-narrow trigger itself.

And yes, my trigger finger is quite well-educated.

I like my finger to be able to feel a trigger before I apply pressure. The thinness and shape of the Jewell just doesn't work for me, especially on a hunting rifle.

I have a few on target/groundhog rifles, but no way would I put one on a big game rifle.

Another point... their strong suit is when you need a trigger pull measured in ounces. For a 2-3 pound pull, I can't think of why you'd need a Jewell.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
362 members (338Rules, 308Palma, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 29aholic, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 2,003 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,236
Posts18,371,345
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.