24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went the way of your buddy, my first cf rifle was my .300saum. Looking back I wouldn't change a thing. Eventually I would like to be able to take game at extended ranges, but I recognize my limits. The rifle is more than capable of doing that, my skills just aren't good enough yet.

I say let him get what he wants to get. Ultimately only he can decide to stick with it or go to something else. Above all else, practice practice practice!

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Above all else, practice practice practice!

And that right there is the crux of why he would be far better off with a .260 or similar rifle, rather than a .300Mag...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

And that right there is the crux of why he would be far better off with a .260 or similar rifle, rather than a .300Mag...

...and as many have proven, it's quite capable to 1000 yards....and beyond!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Being able to hit targets and kill game at a 1000 yards are two totally different situations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Being able to hit targets and kill game at a 1000 yards are two totally different situations.

And he won't be able to kill game at 1000 until he can hit at 1000.

You don't learn to drive in a F-1 car, you work up to it.

Me

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I started with an 06 a long time ago. Then I just had to have a 7 mag. I traded it for a 280 and have never looked back. I love shooting my 308 too. I must have spent a small fortune on loading cartridges and practicing before I ever took what I consider to be a long poke at a living deer. That shot was only 415 yards, but conditions were perfect and I was thrilled when that 280 dropped her in her tracks. Matriarchal doe or not, she was legal and she still ranks with my others as a trophy. My best buck is 168 5/8 with an inside spread of 24 5/8, but that doe at that range was as big of a thrill for me. She ate awful good too.

I don't consider myself to be a long range hunter, but I like feeling confident when I get a chance at any legal deer over 300 yards away.

I think your friend would be better served with a 308 to begin with, but as has been said here, he will get what he has set his mind on. Magnums, for me, are over my recoil threshold for practicing much, even if I never notice recoil when shooting game. It's the practice that builds the skills and confidence. My 2 bits worth.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
300WSM all the way....

If starting from stratch I would just get a couple 308's, 400-500 yards is as far as I wanna shoot right now anyway.....grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I think the question has been answered and all here have given great input.

Long range hunting is in "vogue" these days having been popularized by tv shows and equipment manufacturers pioneering a new market to find a new venue to increase sales. It's great and the American way, but it also has created some problems as have been addressed in the thread.

Long range shooting/hunting isn't "rocket science". Any intelligent person can learn to do it pretty quickly either by himself or with instruction, but the cumulative learning of handloading long and range shooting experience takes time.

My advice would be for your friend to get a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. The light recoil will help him develop good shooting technique and habits. I also recommend a ton of long range TARGET shooting well before he attempts big game at long range. Varmints are great too.

6.5 creedmore for sure..The factory loaded 140 amax is excellent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
If someone's gotta ask, they probably need a 308Win.

That's classic right there!

Well put, Shane.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cory,

Maybe sometime I can meet up with you guys and he can shoot my 7mm mag and a .338 win mag. If it wasn't such a pain to transport everything, I've got a couple 7mm-08s, .308(s) and also just aquired a heavy barrel .308 not that long ago that's going to be my learning tool for some long(er) range rock busting.
Really giving some serious thought to ordering an A3 for the HB .308, need to find some glass for it though as well.

I'll be heading for the Cities tomorrow afternoon (un-planned trip as I've got a meeting Monday AM in St. Paul) Girl friend has the rest of the weekend filled though (oh joy... shopping.. and visiting with her friends *$#^$)

As it's been pointed out, often when people get their mind made up on something, that's the only thing that will satisfy them. But I'd also recommend a .308 for the cost of shooting alone, 6.5 creedmoors are pretty reasonable factory rounds as well.
Could keep an eye on Dicks Sporting goods and see if they have any more deals on a Remington Varmint .308 around X-Mas. If he doesn't like it, he could flip it for little to no loss.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B3

J
J
Well, I suppose I should speak up. I'm Cory's buddy. I'd just like to clear up the picture that has been painted for me, lol. First, I have no intention of shooting at an animal beyond a distance I'm capable of making a precise, clean shot 100% of the time. To be honest, that's probably about 300 yards for me right now. I am newer to big game hunting, no question about it. I have been shooting recreationally for most of the last 15 years though. I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, however being "new" to rifle shooting is not accurate.
Now to my caliber choice. I know that the 300WM is probably not ideal for many of you, maybe not me. What I want, is a rifle similar to my -06, but slightly more capable of long range target shooting as I work my skills up to higher levels. I'd like to have a "happy medium" sort of speak, as I know you can't have a great target rifle (heavy barrel, etc) that's also an ideal hunting rifle. My brother lives in Colorado, so big game is in the near future without doubt. I also have a friend that can get me second line ammo in 300wm for about $6/box due to cosmetic flaws (scuffed or nicked case etc). My -06 is a very nice looking French walnut kimber, I'd like a secondary deer gun of similar caliber with a synthetic stock to use on rainy days, rocky, muddy terrain, and so on. I've done a bit of research, and I don't think a 300 would be a BAD choice. Are there better choices? Sure, you guys have named a few, and I agree, those are great recommendations. I just like the idea of having a gun similar to my -06, but maybe have a little more potential for when I grow into it. Not to mention the $6/box ammo!
Again, not claiming to be any kind of expert, and I do appreciate everyone's input! Just telling my side of the situation.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The 30-06 that you currently own is more than capable of 300 yard or 400 yard or 500 yard or 600 yard game shooting with the correct ammo and scope and shooter skill.
If Carlos Hathcock was still alive I think he might tell you what a good 30-06 is capable of !
Speaking of the "second line ammo "due to cosmetic flaws " you might find it is second line in accuracy as well !
Bottom line is get what you want to get.
No one is downing on ya just trying to help you.
If you dont think the recoil of the 300 Mag is going to bother you by all means knock yourself out.It does sound and look real good on paper but if I was a betting man I would bet your oppinion of the 300 Mag is going to change bout the time you squeeze the trigger.
But what the heck get it and if you dont like it then sell it .
Regards and good luck
Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd be choosing between the .260 and 7RM.

Long range shooting and cheap/second line ammo go together about as well as cats and dogs. LR ammo needs to demonstrate the utmost accuracy, and is often the opposite of cheap. The sooner you get into handloading your own ammo, the sooner you'll thank me grin

J
J
I've put some rounds through a 300 before, they have some kick, but so does my lightweight kimber 30-06, actually very close in felt recoil between the 300 I've shot, and my -06. The second rate ammo is no doubt not ideal "match" ammo, but for 1/4 price, the trigger time is beneficial. I use premium barnes ttsx bullets for hunting, the seconds are just for cheap plinking. My 06 is definitely a capable round, but my light tapered barrel isn't ideal for target shooting, heats up much too quick. If it had a bit heavier barrel, I'd consider sticking to it.

Last edited by Joeyc250; 12/13/12.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd get something in a 6.5.

J
J
Ok, educate me a little on the various 6.5's. can't say I have any experience shooting any of them. I just don't know anyone that owns one. I'm always open to learning something new.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5x47 Lapua all medium light recoiling cartridges with good ballistic properties.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Joeyc250
Well, I suppose I should speak up. I'm Cory's buddy. I'd just like to clear up the picture that has been painted for me, lol. First, I have no intention of shooting at an animal beyond a distance I'm capable of making a precise, clean shot 100% of the time. To be honest, that's probably about 300 yards for me right now. I am newer to big game hunting, no question about it. I have been shooting recreationally for most of the last 15 years though. I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, however being "new" to rifle shooting is not accurate.
Now to my caliber choice. I know that the 300WM is probably not ideal for many of you, maybe not me. What I want, is a rifle similar to my -06, but slightly more capable of long range target shooting as I work my skills up to higher levels. I'd like to have a "happy medium" sort of speak, as I know you can't have a great target rifle (heavy barrel, etc) that's also an ideal hunting rifle. My brother lives in Colorado, so big game is in the near future without doubt. I also have a friend that can get me second line ammo in 300wm for about $6/box due to cosmetic flaws (scuffed or nicked case etc). My -06 is a very nice looking French walnut kimber, I'd like a secondary deer gun of similar caliber with a synthetic stock to use on rainy days, rocky, muddy terrain, and so on. I've done a bit of research, and I don't think a 300 would be a BAD choice. Are there better choices? Sure, you guys have named a few, and I agree, those are great recommendations. I just like the idea of having a gun similar to my -06, but maybe have a little more potential for when I grow into it. Not to mention the $6/box ammo!
Again, not claiming to be any kind of expert, and I do appreciate everyone's input! Just telling my side of the situation.

We appreciate your honest input. Sounds like you are set on the 300 win mag. However, I'd be careful about the "$6.00/box" of ammo, as your rifle may not even like it and it would then be useless to you. If you truly want to shoot "long range" you need to get into handloading and find out what your rifle likes (whether that be your new 300 win mag or your ol 30-06).....There's absolutely nothing wrong with your choice. I've had a 300 win mag for a long time and they are great and will give you an edge over the 30-06 ballistically but it will punish you in the recoil department. If I were to pick a rifle for dedicated long range practice I'd probaly be leaning more towards the 7mm rem mag. This would be your "happy medium sort of speak" rifle. That's just me, but that's how I'd do it if I were in your shoes....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
J
I appreciate the feedback. The $6/box ammo, again, is just for practice, trigger time, recoil management, etc. I can get pretty much any of the premium bullets federal offers (partitions, accubond, triple shock, etc in 165gr, 180, etc) for the 300, I have also been getting them for my -06. I don't trust them to have hand load consistency, but I was actually shooting several 5 shot groups at roughly moa accuracy at 100yds with the $5 nosler partitions, 100yds was about as far as we could shoot on that property though. I will get into hand loading at some point, just not in my budget or time capacity at this point (new baby girl due any day now, and work 50-65hr weeks consistently). As far as recoil, I'd consider a muzzle brake, at least for the range.
I don't want to seem "dead set" on the 300, like my pal, Cory, makes it seem. I'm open to new ideas if they seem to fit the bill for my particular situation. That's just what I'm leaning towards based on my experience and limited research.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
When all these guys are saying more less the same thing, it's time to listen.

Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
If someone's gotta ask, they probably need a 308Win.

Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I think the question has been answered and all here have given great input.

Long range hunting is in "vogue" these days having been popularized by tv shows and equipment manufacturers pioneering a new market to find a new venue to increase sales. It's great and the American way, but it also has created some problems as have been addressed in the thread.

Long range shooting/hunting isn't "rocket science". Any intelligent person can learn to do it pretty quickly either by himself or with instruction, but the cumulative learning of handloading long and range shooting experience takes time.

My advice would be for your friend to get a .260 or 6.5 Creedmoor. The light recoil will help him develop good shooting technique and habits. I also recommend a ton of long range TARGET shooting well before he attempts big game at long range. Varmints are great too.

Originally Posted by scenarshooter
^^^Good call Rick!

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Above all else, practice practice practice!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
654 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.