Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#7189751 - 12/16/12 08:02 AM Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Pete E]
logcutter Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Central Idaho
The best winch I have ever owned is a lewis chainsaw winch,kinda the do it all plus some winch.

Similar to this one with extra's and a Sthil head.

jayco

#7191068 - 12/16/12 01:34 PM Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Pete E]
Rock Chuck Online   content
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Filer, ID
Originally Posted By: Pete E
Originally Posted By: ABLE
YES i HAVE BEEN NEEDING ONE OF THESE for years but just could not come up with how to make for the weigth being pulled up the ramp tailgate. I would appreciate pictures or recomendations on how you built your game hauler.

TKS able

Not sure which part you need help with, but if its getting anchoring points, some folks, such as use the tie down points fixed in the bed floor.

Put a a length of chain between the two tie down points and then fix your winch to the center of it.

If you are looking for something more permanent, you will need build some sort of frame and anchor that to the truck and then bolt the winch to it as below:
(Pic is from another site and shows a set up which belongs to a British stalker who posts as PointBlank)

As a warning and a lesson in physics: if you put a chain across the front of the truck bed and hook the winch to the middle, leave lots of slack in the chain. The physics of force dictate that using a tight chain will exert far more force on the sides of the truck than will a loose chain. It will form a triangle with the corners being the 2 chain attachment points and the winch attachment point. The wider the angle where the winch attaches, the more force that's applied to the outside points, maybe even enough to bend something on the truck or break the tie-downs in a heavy pull. Leave the chain loose enough to allow a narrow angle where the winch attaches and you'll put far less force on the sides of the truck.

You can use this same principle to multiply the power of your winch to get something unstuck. Run a chain or cable from the stuck truck to something solid like a tree and get it as tight as possible. Hook the winch cable in the middle of the stretched cable at 90 degrees and pull straight sideways. The force applied to the stuck truck will be far more than what the winch can do in a straight pull. It won't move far before the force is reduced by the changing angle of the tight cable, but it might be enough. For a longer hard pull, you might have to retighten the cable a few times.
WARNING: stand way clear of the stretched cable because it's going to have several times more force on it than usual. It could break and tear you apart.

#7199159 - 12/18/12 11:23 AM Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Just a Hunter]
dogzapper Offline

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: Just a Hunter
[

I am ignorant of how things are done in Africa, but wouldn't it have been helpful to gut it first. [/quote]

The eat a lot of the guts. I've eatten with the blacks in their camps several times and it's not bad. Hey, food is food.

In the Northern Transvaal/Limpopo, at least where I've hunted a bunch, the hooves were used for muti ... local pagan stuff.

And they make the eland dick into a whip-thingie. Impressive whang.

God Bless,

Steve

Steve's Blog: http://stevetimmcatholicfsblog.intuitwebsites.com/

#7207937 - 12/20/12 12:09 PM Re: Using winch to load game [Re: dogzapper]
Dave_in_WV Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: West Virginia
Originally Posted By: dogzapper

God Bless,

Steve

shocked laugh

#7210263 - 12/20/12 08:48 PM Re: Using winch to load game [Re: Dave_in_WV]
dogzapper Offline

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted By: Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted By: dogzapper

God Bless,

Steve

shocked laugh

Frend Dave,

Well, no sh!t, it's gotta be four feet long.

Our blacks got one hell of a kick chasing Karen with it. She got a kick out of it.

By the way, you've not read the whole Grandpa Hank series. Makes me proud, makes me cry. Maybe it might arrive in your PM box one day.

God Bless You and Belinda,

Steve

Steve's Blog: http://stevetimmcatholicfsblog.intuitwebsites.com/

#7210941 - 12/21/12 06:10 AM Re: Using winch to load game [Re: dogzapper]
Dave_in_WV Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: West Virginia
Friend Steve, I look forward to more Grandpa Hank stories. When he spit on the closed car window and said "schit .... you didn't hear that Stevie", I bet you almost pee'd in your pants! laugh

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
CLICK HERE for HUGE SAVINGS on TAMRON LENSES at CAMERA LAND!
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
571 registered (1tnhunter, 16gauge, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1337Fungi, 65 invisible), 1563 Guests and 415 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
50437 Members
72 Forums
633838 Topics
9092868 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 04:36 PM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright 2000-2014 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.