Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thinking about this press. Anyone have one? What do you think. Seems as though you could bust through a lot of rounds pretty quick.

Also any recommendations on a decent digi scale, Calipers, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks

BP-B2

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
No one? Anyone have a recommendation for a better auto progressive multi stage press? I have heard the Lee's aren't very good. I live about 15 miles from RCBS. How are their auto presses? I don't think I know anyone who has one. But I do see a ton of rockchuck single stage presses and people seem to like them but I think I want an AP press.

Last edited by fixitquick79; 12/17/12.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have one and am more than pleased with it. Built like a tank and it just works. I did a fair amount of research and it came down to the LnL or the Dillon 650. Lee and RCBS were never really in the running.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have one of the Hornadys. Bought it several years ago and really like it. I don't use it enough at this point (too many distractions), but for value over the RCBS and Dillon, I didn't think it could be beat.

My 0.02...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dillon 550B, hands down, is the most versatile press ever designed. The LnLoad is auto indexing, which is great, except for the fact auto indexing does absolutely nothing to speed up reloading without a case feeder.

The 550B, with it's interchangeable toolheads, is the most hassle free press ever designed. With a few tweaks from Uniquetek, it'll loaded match-grade ammo for a rifle, or crank out an active IDPA shooter's pistol ammo needs.

A 650, or a 1050, or better yet, both of 'em, is ideal for the serious 3-gun type, but many manange with just a 550B

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Hornady LNL AP and while I haven't used it a great deal yet, so far it's working well. I've only loaded 9mm luger at this point. I think it's a good value overall. Several of my friends have them and like them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was shopping for a progressive, I narrowed it down to the LNL and the Dillon. Both seemed to be quality setups with plenty of fans. The Hornady was cheaper, plus cheaper to change calibers, and they were giving you like 500 or 1K bullets (forget how many) as a rebate. So I took a chance on the LNL and am completely pleased with it.

If you get one, follow the setup/cleaning instructions closely (it's easy) and if you spill powder make sure it doesn't get under the shellplate. I did get a Dillon sizing die for 9mm though, those radiused edges are a real boon for smooth progressive loading.

F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear the LnL is working out for you all. For the price I think it is the one I will get. Have been looking around and the RCBS is pretty pricey comparatively.

Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Dillon 550B, hands down, is the most versatile press ever designed. The LnLoad is auto indexing, which is great, except for the fact auto indexing does absolutely nothing to speed up reloading without a case feeder.

The 550B, with it's interchangeable toolheads, is the most hassle free press ever designed. With a few tweaks from Uniquetek, it'll loaded match-grade ammo for a rifle, or crank out an active IDPA shooter's pistol ammo needs.

A 650, or a 1050, or better yet, both of 'em, is ideal for the serious 3-gun type, but many manange with just a 550B

The great thing about the 550B it doesn't have to auto index and you have the capability of using like a single stage press as well. You can't do that with the Lnload to my knowledge.

Also I don't believe the Dillion 650 or the 1050 can be anything but a auto index press.

Last edited by 17ACKLEYBEE; 12/17/12.

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
[

The great thing about the 550B it doesn't have to auto index and you have the capability of using like a single stage press as well. You can't do that with the Lnload to my knowledge.

Also I don't believe the Dillion 650 or the 1050 can be anything but a auto index press.

Exactly right, thanks for clearing that up.

IC B3

P
P
Original I decided to Buy WOW Gold be not to return to any son in the community, but saw a son, I tell the oneself this son to must return! This is once-in-a-lifetimeo.k! Heaven has eyes ah, let me live to view so excellent post!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
All things considered, the Dillon 550B is hard to beat and their customer service is outstanding.

Rich or poor, it pays to have money.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a lnl also. It is great. I bought a lee first but could not get it to work properly and broke several plastic parts. The lnl is built like a tank. Good luck!

2 b 1 ask 1 !
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Anyone have the Hornaday case feeder on their LNL?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not me.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks all. I am pretty positive I am going with the LnL. Looked at the 550 and it is not AP and is a bit more expensive. To get AP I would need to step up to the 650 which is quite a bit pricier. I will be loading mostly .308 but also quite a bit of 223, 9mm, and 45ACP. Also a bit of 9.3x62 and 25-06 but in fairly lower volume once I get those guns. Maybe a couple hundred rounds a year for those 2 as they will be situational hunting loads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also looked at the Dillon but went with the LNL AP due to cost and auto index (just my pref). I have some RCBC stuff, handtools, scale, etc. I'm not really impressed with any of it, but have never owned one of their presses.

Probably have a few thousand rounds through it by now, mostly handgun ammo but I do use it for rifle too. I never prime on it so sometimes it gets used as a single stage to decap and size. I just prefer to use a handheld priming tool. Maybe someday I'll go 100% progressive but I like reloading in two main phases.

I also have a Lee single stage that I use for some things, and a Lee handpress for load development at the range.

LNL AP works great as a single stage, just faster since you never manually remove a case. Just let each case take a trip around the press with empty stations. You just feed cases by hand instead of feeding and removing like a normal single stage. Cases get ejected after the last station. Simple. Never understood why people say it doesn't work as a single stage, just leave the other stations empty.

Once I have decapped/resized and primed, the loaded rounds start pumping out. The powder measure works great but there's a lot of static with the plastic tube at first. Dryer sheet takes care of that.

Hornady customer service is great. A real live person in the US answers the phone during business hours.

The shellplates can get expensive, and you'll probably want the bulk pack of quick change die bushings.

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/22/12.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I looked at the Dillon but soon checked it off as too many moving parts. Did not like the RCBS due to their primer feed strip idea.

Bought the Hornady LNL 500 and have enjoyed it. I have the case feed too. It works very very good. The press is quite adept at what it does. I don't try for speed. I prefer the slow rate and carefully look over every function per stroke. I built my own bullet feed which works better then I could have imagined.

I am happy with the machine and glad I spent the money on it. I spent many hours here: http://ultimatereloader.com/ Go to the top of the page and click the manufacturer tabs to see all you want to see on load presses.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.