Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi guys,
Another issue I am having with my Husqvarna 30/06 build.

I am pretty much done inletting the new stock on my rifle, and noticed tonight that when I tighten the rear action screw and cycle the bolt the rifle fires!

This is unacceptable and never happened when it wore the old stock, something about the new stock is causing the but I can't figure it out, any ideas?

I don't get drunk, I get awesome
BP-B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
put some inletting black on the trigger it is binding somwhere...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Either the trigger, sear, or both are not traveling through their full range of motion.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/16/12.

1Minute
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
It seems to work properly when I first cock it, and looks to only fire when I open the bolt again, always while cycling the bolt handle upwards, never when pulling it back.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
try taking the barreled action out of the stock and cycling the action. If the problem goes away, then the stock is binding somewhere. Some inletting black on the trigger/sear assembly may be helpful in finding the bind.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The trigger is binding or the sear engagement is not enough. When you push the bolt forward and down, it holds, when you lift the bolt, it moves upward and drops

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
All the ideas of checking with inletting black are spot on, also check to make sure you aren't getting any movement when you tighten those screws. If you do, you may need to check the inletting for the entire assembly. There should be no movement as the screws are tightened.

P
P
Finish see this son of Buy MapleStory Mesos the building Lord after, I have produced a beyond name's grief feeling - ah, such a good son, if in the future I will not see, that what should I do? So, what should I do? Until I don't hesitate to put this son of the building Lord Cheap D3 cd key collect my heart of that kind of concussion did not fall calm gradually.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by panmin
Finish see this son of Buy MapleStory Mesos the building Lord after, I have produced a beyond name's grief feeling - ah, such a good son, if in the future I will not see, that what should I do? So, what should I do? Until I don't hesitate to put this son of the building Lord Cheap D3 cd key collect my heart of that kind of concussion did not fall calm gradually.

Do you suppose that will help the trigger problem?

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I had that trigger assembly smeared blacker than a witches heart last night, but did not see a mark where it could be binding to the stock.

I also took more wood out of the channel that I cut for the bolt handle, to make sure it always closes properly.

Still no dice.

I know this is caused by pressure being applied somewhere when the action screw is tightened, I am getting the rifled bedded this week but before sending it off I am going to add a couple of small washers to the action screw as a temporary shim, to see if that allows me to tighten the screw up but maybe relieve some pressure on the sear/trigger.

I am also thinking I should replace the trigger with something better than that awful 1940's trigger.

What trigger would you suggest I go with?
Never done a trigger job myself any gotchas?

Thanks Gents

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jkob
Originally Posted by panmin

Do you suppose that will help the trigger problem?

Jim,

You're looking at a "spam fix" for a Husky trigger problem... shocked
I wonder where these people come from...?

To the OP, how can your HVA fire as you open the bolt? I guess the striker could let go, but it can't "fire" with an uplifted bolt handle.

Tightening the rear action screw makes me wonder how well it's bedded or if the stock is binding on the trigger mechanism.

With my HVA project, I replace the factory trigger with a Timney. The striker sear sometimes over rode the trigger sear. I got a higher trigger sear from Timney, but it wouldn't work. I took some material from the top of the Timney trigger housing, allowing the original trigger sear to ride higher in the action web. Works perfectly.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/18/12.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I like Timmney triggers.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Me, too.

I got the HVA factory trigger down to a clean 3#'s, but with Mauser type triggers, there is no way to control over travel. My HVA is very light and needed a really clean trigger, so I went with the Timney.

Thinking about the OP's situation, I suspect the stock is putting pressure on the front of the trigger assembly, ahead of the cross pin. Relieving that part of the stock should free the trigger and allow good sear contact.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The trigger is binding , I would look on the side of the trigger and see if binding on the side of the trigger guard. Most of the time it twiks the action into the trigger guard.

Hope this helps

Relive your memories,take a kid hunting and fishing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dayton Triaster, but one will need to beaver out a bit more wood.

If one still has a bedding issue with the stock trigger, I'd suggest he figure it out before progressing any further.

1Minute
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I had a similar problem with my VZ-24 build when I put a Timney trigger in it. I was advised to grind a little metal off the trigger sear. I worked at it a little but then got nervous and took it to a smith. He said I was doing the right thing, just hadn't done enough.

Chris

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
What part of the trigger sear needed grinding?

DF

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,985 guests, and 1,382 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.