Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
We value your opinion here. You generally know your business...
Thank you BSA. And without having it in my hands I can still be wrong. I know the closer you get to 1964 the worse the wood looks but the dark rings around the old dents really scream re do to me. IMO.

BP-B2

B
OP Offline
B
So Dave rifles is no good? Darn lol he had some good looking rifles on his site... I guess that falls into if its to good to be true then well... you know the rest

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
We value your opinion here. You generally know your business...
well, after looking again I think the light may just be making bluing look worn. If its not refinished it brand spanking new. Don't take my word at this point. I need to hold it in my hands. But again. The dark circles around a dent occurs when the wood is dented, then oil seeps into the grain over time. Then when wood is stripped and sanded that dent remains discolored from oils.

Last edited by Cartod; 12/16/12.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have had to learn the hard way many times. Fortunately I hope that some wisdom has came with my older age. My friend RAS can tell you some of my horror stories I have confessed to him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by model70man
I have had to learn the hard way many times. Fortunately I hope that some wisdom has came with my older age. My friend RAS can tell you some of my horror stories I have confessed to him.
if it helps your pain any, I bought a 7mm pre 64 that was sold as original. It was not, it was what most would make in a few months.

This is why I will always shy away from rare calibers, they say there are more fakes than originals.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's true,no need to fake a .270/.30-06,but a .35 Rem,.300 Sav,9mm or 7.65,there is money to be made and it's been done and their still floating around to the UN-knowing with money...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rifle
Ol Dave will build one for ya,if he don't have in stock...
Let's leave it at that....

wink...... +1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Originally Posted by rifle
Ol Dave will build one for ya,if he don't have in stock...
Let's leave it at that....

wink...... +1

+2....BTDT.

To the OP....just my opinion but 98-99% finish and condition is nice, but hard to find and generally the purview of the collector types,of which i am most assuredly not one.I don't want one that is abused either, but I look for "good" condition and sound mechanics, mostly meaning no one has screwed with them,particularly the metal,and a barrel in great shape.

They are very durable rifles,good for a lifetime of use and one that has been cared for, but hunted,can be a bargain at the right price and will out last you,and your grandkids will be hunting with it.No need to box yourself into a corner.If buying it to hunt I wouldn't pass one up that is in 99% condition but I'm not gonna worry about getting one either.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Many of the high condition Model 70's are in the hands of collectors, those in the big dealer's displays at major gunshows should be viewed as suspect to have been "doctored". I traveled the gunshow circuit with some of these dealers and have first hand knowledge of their chicanery. There was an individual at that time that had barrel rollmarking dies and could provide these dealers with any rare caliber barrel they wanted. There were many bogus 7.65 and 9mm rifles showing up at that time. In recent times the "parts whores" are tearing down every M/70 they can get their hands on, selling component parts for outrageous prices. There also appears to be an effort at reproducing stocks, don't know the details on this one. Many "custom" Super Grade" stocks showing up, the word custom being used to avoid calling them original. Why would anyone go to the effort to have a custom stock made and have it be a very close copy of an original? Just doesn't make sense. As previous posters have advised, handle as many known original rifles as possible. that's the only way to be able to spot those that are non-original.

B
OP Offline
B
I looked at a really gorgeous one today at a local shop, but the stock looked had a couple spots where the finish was thicker. The orinigal finishes on these guns where supposed to bfe good correct? The stock was very clean except for a couple dings and nicks here and there. I walked away never the less because of the finish issue

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Some of the factory finishes weren't always perfect. I own and have owned several pre 64's with light sanding marks and even small runs in the lacquer. I've seen this less on M70's and more on bolt rimfires of the time, but I have M70's with these blems as well. They were never made to be collectors pieces, but built by hand. The advice given about handling as many known originals as you can is the best way to know what you're looking at.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The way I spot a reblue is to look at the WP proofmark, these were applied after the rifle was blued. Therefore they were not buffed over, you should be able to feel the raised edge of the impression when you run a fingernail across it. Smooth edges of the proofmark impression are indicative of its having been buffed over prior to a reblue.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by baberuth43
Hey I'm really interested in buying a pre64 m70. First off i cant hardly find any that look like there in good condition or good enough for my taste (98-99%). I know for this condition range I will have to fork out a large roll of cash but oh well. So if anyone can tell me some maybe less traveled auction sites that might have one, it would be much appreciated. I would also thank anyone that can give me some pointers on how to tell if the bluing has been redone, or if the stock has been refinished,or pointers on catching some of the less obvious things like correct butt plate, LOP, esc. Than you for reading.

8 posts and a 97% pre-'64 isn't good enough for you. laugh

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
WTF does post count have to do with anything? Time spent on a fourm has nothing to do with the quality of rifle he wants.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
New member comes along; only a brand new pre-'64 is good enough for him. He can't find any in good enough condition and wants to know where they're all hiding. Doesn't have a care about spending a fortune. And doesn't know what to look for.

So much for your sense of humor.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The fact that he's asking ??'s and doesn't know what to look for is a valid reason for thinking he's new to collecting. Post count doesn't mean chit. Lotsa folks in internetland have huge post counts cause they spend more time typing than doing, and plenty of posts with little or no substance. Post count don't mean chit. grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by baberuth43
I looked at a really gorgeous one today at a local shop, but the stock looked had a couple spots where the finish was thicker. The orinigal finishes on these guns where supposed to bfe good correct? The stock was very clean except for a couple dings and nicks here and there. I walked away never the less because of the finish issue

Bubba, my most original pre 64 was the first one I bought. It came from a verified first owner. The finish sucked and was flaking, I took the stock off and sold it on ebay for $360.00 and went with a nice shooter stock that I picked up cheap....Dumb on my part if I were a collector, but I'm more of a shooter/hunter/collector type...Read my first post about telephone pole finish buddy..... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
OP Offline
B
Ok so that clears up the stock question... The gun also had its rear sights filed on a little it also a small gouge taken out right bellow the sights but the marks wernt silver... Which makes me think the barrel has been reblued since they was made. Any thoughts on this? And thanks agin for the replies guys I'm learning a lot

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do not buy a model 70 unless it has a good clean history, or you can verify where it's been. Of course it is the quickest way to get an education; jumping in.

B
OP Offline
B
How would you know if its had a clean history or not? I mean I didn't think there was anyway of knowing on a used gun

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 74 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.