-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a 4-shot group at 100 yards with the 105AM today that went 0.31MOA, and I pulled the 3rd shot low. I knew it right as the trigger broke. If I hadn't have dropped the ball, it would have been a fair bit better. The other 3 shots go 0.11MOA That kind of performance just inspires confidence when shooting LR. The Kimber is accurate as far as hunting rifles go, but it's not the same as a 12lbs dedicated LR rifle.

Sometimes 100 yard groups matter very little. Make sure you put it to the test at long range before you try animals at long range.

I've had 1-hole hundred yard groups with loads that show lots of vertical at long range.

Loads that have lots of vertical at long range are BAD long range loads

Homework is necessary

smile

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds awesome! That rifle seems like a keeper if it shows a strong liking toward the 162AM right out the gate. laugh

Good luck on the cow! We'll have to compare notes once some meat is on the ground.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
I shot a 4-shot group at 100 yards with the 105AM today that went 0.31MOA, and I pulled the 3rd shot low. I knew it right as the trigger broke. If I hadn't have dropped the ball, it would have been a fair bit better. The other 3 shots go 0.11MOA That kind of performance just inspires confidence when shooting LR. The Kimber is accurate as far as hunting rifles go, but it's not the same as a 12lbs dedicated LR rifle.

Sometimes 100 yard groups matter very little. Make sure you put it to the test at long range before you try animals at long range.

I've had 1-hole hundred yard groups with loads that show lots of vertical at long range.

Loads that have lots of vertical at long range are BAD long range loads

Homework is necessary

smile

I hear you! I almost never shoot at 100 yards, preferring to shoot groups at 200 and 300 yards, and then prove the load on steel or rocks out to 1000. I've been working up a load for this .243AI, and since I started out at 100 yards, I thought I should finish the 100 yards testing, so as to keep things fair between loads wink

I had about 0.75" of vertical for 4 shots at 525 yards with that load today, so it looks promising. That load has an average SD of 9fps, which isn't the best SD ever for LR, but it ain't the worst grin

I never use a LR load on animals that I haven't beat the crap out of steel and rocks with first.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A-Max bullets are about all I use for whitetail, mule deer and antelope anymore. I took a buddy out this fall to shoot his very first deer. He was having some issues with his rifle so he borrowed my .243 with 105gr A-Maxes. It took a little while but he finally shot his whitetail broadside at about 20 yards. It was angling slightly away so the bullet exited the off side shoulder. There were actually two exit holes. One had a big piece of lung hanging out and the one through the shoulder was pretty destructive to that shoulder. The deer died and is now in his freezer. I have not made a shot that close before with an A-Max but I didn't expect much different from an impact at nearly muzzle velocity. They work for me. Use what works for you.

I am kind of a Hornady fan. The brown truck just delivered these this week.
[Linked Image]
I'll be loading this winter.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Two 140gr A-max dropped two doe at about 120yds from a 6.5 Creedmoor. no complaints on their performance.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Bobcape
A-Max bullets are about all I use for whitetail, mule deer and antelope anymore. I took a buddy out this fall to shoot his very first deer. He was having some issues with his rifle so he borrowed my .243 with 105gr A-Maxes. It took a little while but he finally shot his whitetail broadside at about 20 yards. It was angling slightly away so the bullet exited the off side shoulder. There were actually two exit holes. One had a big piece of lung hanging out and the one through the shoulder was pretty destructive to that shoulder. The deer died and is now in his freezer. I have not made a shot that close before with an A-Max but I didn't expect much different from an impact at nearly muzzle velocity. They work for me. Use what works for you.

I am kind of a Hornady fan. The brown truck just delivered these this week.
[Linked Image]
I'll be loading this winter.

Bob

Bobby!!! I want to party with YOU man!!!

I like your style!!!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, aaronward9, 21 invisible), 1,763 guests, and 958 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.