Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by highridge1
I don't like them at all. I can't believe so many guys like them. Warne rings are far better and don't even mark your scope.You should not have to push a scope down into a set of rings..

X2. They will scratch a new scope. For the price they cost I'm not impressed at all.

BP-B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
For the price they're about as inexpensive as anything I've seen.....?

I like them and is all I have on any rifle. Well except one rig that has talley cross bone tactical style rings and 20moa rail

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JRE11
What do you use to radius the edges?

Dremel and a file.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A high quality steel alternative is the S&K. I use both S&K's and Talley's with complete satisfaction.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks for the Dremel tip. Do you use anything special to clean off the lapping compound? I usually wipe with a paper towel then go over them with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Seems to take a while to get them cleaned up.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have never had to lap them and Melvin doesn't lap them either when he sends them with his nula rifles,

I am wandering if some of the problems people are having with scratches and dent maybe due to action screw holes not in line with each other in the action

gene

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've never lapped any other rings I've used before. Here are some pics I sent to Talley today. These are not great resolution but I think you can see the "banding" on the tube and for sure can see the marks left fore and aft on each side of the tube. The ring caps were torqued to between 15 and 20 inch/lbs with a Wheeler Engineering FAT that I believe is functioning properly. Their alignment was checked with the Wheeler alignment bars - not that there is anyway to adjust the alignment. Gene if there were alignment problems I would think that the marks on the scope tube would not be uniform, in other words marks on aft left and fore right only, not on both sides fore and aft.

I did check the rings for sharp edges and burs - found nothing remarkable. Certainly did not see any edge that needed to be eased.

Scope damage pics

Last edited by releehweoj; 12/17/12.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Perhaps the scope tube is a bit big? Its just as likely as the rings being too small. I have yet to have an issue with Talleys causing damage.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I have some Warne rings, pretty sure they are Warne, that you have to "snap" the top ring down over the tube. Gives me the heebie jeebies every time.

Are they Leupold QRW or PRW?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All my Warne rings are like these, quick release and permanent shown:

[Linked Image]

Wow, this thread is a blast from the past.

MM, they are indeed the QRW's as pictured up top. They currently hold a 2-7 Burris on riser blocks on my Bushy M4'gery.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JRE11
Do you use anything special to clean off the lapping compound? I usually wipe with a paper towel then go over them with a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol. Seems to take a while to get them cleaned up.

I use a paper towel to get the majority off, then wrap a shop rag around the bottom of the ring and hit it with Brakleen. Also, prior to lapping, I'll roll up a small wad of paper towel, and stuff it in the screw recess to keep out the lapping compound.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Perhaps the scope tube is a bit big? Its just as likely as the rings being too small. I have yet to have an issue with Talleys causing damage.

I suppose the tube could be oversized. I don't have an instrument that can measure the diameter. Anyway, it's on its way to Minox for repair of a loose eyepiece. I could ask them to look at that too.

Last edited by releehweoj; 12/18/12.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Talleys look good and keep you rifle shooting where you are pointing it. I don't use anything else

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Were you a fan of Ancient History in school? grin

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Yes still am. Reading"Patton. A genius for war"

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m thinking about buying a rifle that has Talley lightweights on it. Do most people still like them or should I change to Talley bases and split rings?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I like the Talleys. Light and strong as heck!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16027018/3

Statement below is just copied from my post to the thread I linked to above. On page 3 I posted a picture of a set I had that cracked.

I had 6 sets in service at one point. Had the top strap crack around one of the ring screws on a Weatherby ULW in 7mm Wby. Gun was never dropped or exposed to particularly heavy field use as I had other rigs I liked better, and round count on it was relatively low at time of failure - likely less than 500. Scope was a Leupold 4.5-14 - so not a heavy scope, either. Screws were torqued to spec. Around the same time, a good friend had the exact same thing happen on a 300 WSM. I still have 2 sets on lighter recoilers with smaller scopes that don't see a ton of use, but I haven't used them on a new set up in a few years. They look nice, but there's many, much more robust options out there.

The fact that they are egg shaped is designed in. Some lap them to take that out, but IIRC, it states right on the package that they're not supposed to be lapped. Based on where most sets seem to fail, I feel that the egg shape that is meant to be pushed round by the scope is just a poor design; places too much stress on the area in which the threads slim down to thinner material. Also, they have a tendency to leave marks in the scope finish. Not that this is a huge deal for funtionality, but it's irksome.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have Talley LW on several rifles. They are all relatively lightweight rifles with relatively lightweight scopes and none of the rifles kick any more than a 30-06. On a heavy recoiling rifle with a big scope they may not be the best option but I have never had any problems with any of mine.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,790 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.