Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,127 of 1,842 1 2 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1841 1842
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
...I set up in the middle of the hay field because over the years,I've seen them strut there, always out of range from the edge of the woods.

It was a hunch and it worked. Luck

I don't know. That sounds like observing your game, making adjustments, and putting yourself in the right place at the right time. Sounds like good hunting to me. Maybe a little luck...

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prayers Sent.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ryan, sounds like you may have a new job.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Stan_in_SC
Hey Mule1,yoiu left off your Chickenbuck hat.LOL

Stan in SC

Yeah dangit I did . I thought about it once but turned around twice and the thought was gone . you ever do that ? Lol

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

I sure hope so Bill, Yes Jim I have an awesome job already, but this one is a big bump in pay and allows me to cut my hours down to 45 or so a week, which would be nice.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Azar

It was a hunch and it worked. Luck

I don't know. That sounds like observing your game, making adjustments, and putting yourself in the right place at the right time. Sounds like good hunting to me. Maybe a little luck... [/quote]

I had been thinking about that "center field" sit for about a year. Since I had a beauty at 100 yds last year and there wasn't a thing I could do about it...or two years before when I called one in on a string for my step day that strutted in nearly the same spot, 60-70 too far out for a shot. grin

The luck was he/they were without hens at this time in the spring and that my squabbles on the slate call sounded enough like a mama bird for him to come investigate. We left one for next year...that Jake. For those that don't turkey hunt, The Jakes have a very distinct gobble. Almost like a practice gobble. It doesn't sound quite right but once you hear it, you know what it is.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey Ryan,

Good luck with that job. A bump in pay and less hours is perfect!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Proudly wearing my other Chickenbuck shirt this day.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

I sure hope so Bill, Yes Jim I have an awesome job already, but this one is a big bump in pay and allows me to cut my hours down to 45 or so a week, which would be nice.

Well heck. More pay and less hours is what we are all striving for right? Good Luck! I hope you get it!

Tom,
Did you sit in a ground blind in the middle of that hay field?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Tom,
Did you sit in a ground blind in the middle of that hay field?

You bet your arse I did. smile Right smack in the middle of it!

In the past when I used one (I don't like to) I tucked it in the woods at the bottom of the ridge or in to some brush somewhere. Usually I roost them and sit on the ground against a tree w/in 100 yds. Like I said, in years past, I've seen them fly down on the ridge and walk out into the field and strut 100-200 yds from where I was usually set up.

I figured what the heck...if I didn't get one that way at least I tried it.

We set it up 40 yds from each wood line where they roost, 200 yds from the west tree line (rare to see one there) and about 200 yds from the road the bird came across. I figured I could poke one on the edge of the wood in either spot with in 40 and would try my range estimate if one happend from across the road( which has happened several times).

The tom was getting nervous when I shot, which I figured 30'ish yards. He was 42 former surveyor measured paces. smile That's quite a bit further than I like them to be but he was about 10 seconds from bugging out of there.

Last edited by tzone; 05/09/13.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you can't use a rifle in the spring?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Nope, shotgun or bow for all seasons.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody going fishing this weekend?

"Papa ! Nana made turtles in the potty !"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N

Originally Posted by mule1
Anybody going fishing this weekend?

Not this cat.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'd like to show off a picture of a bike that I got to ride and you guys did not get to ride (neener-neener-neener). wink

It was an honor, a privilege and much more (haven't found words for it)

Dusty's Heritage Springer Classic.

[Linked Image]

Not sure if we made mention of this prior here, it's been a helluva week. Missy and I got the bike running last monday. She shined and I attached bags and other items to the bike as a battery charger worked on the battery.

The bike was displayed at the church where the funeral was held for all friends and family to see. I think it was a really good idea, it makes people feel good when they can look at an item that the associate so strongly with a person.

The funeral was in the next town over, about 12 miles.

It was a wonderful service and we had 20 pictures of fellow campfire members wearing chickenbuck clothing items, the pictures were on display in an area where other picture boards and also a video slide show was on display.

It was all done very nicely.

The girls (Eileen and Missy) did such a wonderful job. First in the trying task of caring for Dusty to his peaceful departure in the comfort of his own home. God bless you ladies for the unbelievable strength and absolute selflessness you both posses.

Then for the decisions that depicted the structure of the celebration and farewell for Dusty's life here with us on earth.

It was a wonderful and fitting service. All of your decisions were perfect and so fitting. I am certain Dusty approves.

That's about all I've got for this morning.

I'm working my way to the bottom of a big cup of coffee and planning my day out in the shop working on my old Plymouth.

Have a great weekend everybody and happy mothers day to all the mama's out there.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Also, Tzone. Your flowers made it, they are very nice.

We took them home with us after the service.

Thank you.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Eileen and Missy, My hats off to you for the care that you gave to Dusty.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm glad they did Dave. I was hoping Missy or the Shaw's would grab them. They're supposed to be pretty hearty so I was thinking maybe the could be re-planted in honor of a hearty, wonderful man, for all to see. Chickenbuck maybe? I don't know much about plants.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I don't know much about em either Tom, we'll let the girls handle that one. smile

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Todays weather.. gale force winds, rain, sleet and....you guessed it snow! Freeze advisory for tonight.

Page 1,127 of 1,842 1 2 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,957
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.