Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,308 of 1,842 1 2 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
You know Jeff I was thinking...

If you're looking for a 20ga slug gun, you could just use that for everything.

The last time I was at The Gun Stop, they had a Browning Gold, semi-auto, slug gun. The recoil would be way down because of the action. The gun was light, and fit me like a glove. It had a cantileverd barrel for a scope and swivels mounted. It was a matte finished wood stock as well, I know you like wood handles.

That was one hard gun to put down and I often wonder if its still there, but I know it isn't becaue they are so competetive on their prices.

Knowing you and what you like, I think you'd walk out the door with that gun. You could get a bird barrel and be good for anything from woodcock to black bear.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Fly some ties why dontcha?

Hit the library.actually, you can browse the catalog from your home computer, and have the wife/son\daughter pick them up for you.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone

The last time I was at The Gun Stop, they had a Browning Gold, semi-auto, slug gun. The recoil would be way down because of the action. The gun was light, and fit me like a glove. It had a cantileverd barrel for a scope and swivels mounted. It was a matte finished wood stock as well, I know you like wood handles.

That was one hard gun to put down and I often wonder if its still there, but I know it isn't becaue they are so competetive on their prices.

Knowing you and what you like, I think you'd walk out the door with that gun. You could get a bird barrel and be good for anything from woodcock to black bear.
Tom-after the experience I had with the azzhole in the reloading department over there, I wouldn't buy it off them even if they were paying me to take it. I have a 20 ga. Mossberg for upland game, so that's covered. I want a dedicated slug gun, and I've heard a lot of good things on the 220, so that's the way I'm leaning.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Gun Stop reloading department and the gun department are two different businesses run out of the same space but owned by different people.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Not anymore. One guy died I think.

You don't have to buy one there Jeff, lots of spots to buy. They're not for people that get hurt feelers easily though, I'll agree with that. If you can seperate the bull from S, they'll warm up to you.

I've spent plenty in there, that's for sure.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Howard died and his wife sold the gun business but I understood it was sold to somebody other than John who owns the reloading business. That place is much like the campfire but face to face.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
agreed. I like it. It's my favorite gun store. Lots of cool stuff there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sorry guys-I had a terrible experience with the reloading guy. He was a total jerk. I don't need to spend my money there-there's lots of others willing to take it who are also willing to help and understand how to treat people. I don't know if they are separate entities or not, but you walk in through the same door, and that reloading guy cost them some money, at least from me.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Tom-after the experience I had with the azzhole in the reloading department over there, I wouldn't buy it off them even if they were paying me to take it. I have a 20 ga. Mossberg for upland game, so that's covered. I want a dedicated slug gun, and I've heard a lot of good things on the 220, so that's the way I'm leaning.

Why not just pick up a rifled slug barrel for the Mossberg?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Or...trade the mossberg and the 12ga 870 in on a Rem 870 20ga and be done with it.

I've had HORRIBLE luck with Mossbergs.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by gophergunner

Why not just pick up a rifled slug barrel for the Mossberg?
Not interested in that-I want a dedicated slug gun with the barrel permanently mounted on the frame.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or...trade the mossberg and the 12ga 870 in on a Rem 870 20ga and be done with it.

The 870's been in my family for over 30 years. It started life as a 30" full choke plain barreled shotgun. I don't part company with my dad's guns. Also, I had a lot of work done on this gun to get it to be a very accurate slug gun. It should serve my son admirable for decades to come. This gun will shoot 2" groups at 100 yards all day long. Pretty good for slinging Foster style slugs out of a smoothbore slug barrel. The barrel's been permanently mated to the frame, and there's a Leupold base and rings holding a Weaver scope. It's a very accurate, dedicated slug gun now.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Then the Savage 220 is the way to go if you always want to have a scope on your slug gun. I did quite a bit of research on them as well as the Rem 870 slug guns and both get very good reviews for accuracy.

I have a Rem 1187 20 ga I've been thinking about buying a rifled slug barrel for. They are NOT cheap though eek

Last edited by Rooster7; 02/28/14.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Yeah, I'm not overly crazy about 500's either, but for all the more I'll most likely use it, at least for now, it's good enough. I can see a nice little double barrel in my future.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by RaystownRon
Noticed you are getting lots of help with your search for a lightweight rifle. Gun talk tends to pump up the post count around here. Just sayin. wink

Ron, it's what we do best. wink Where else on the internet can you go where a bunch of guys will tell you exactly what you need and help you spend your money?!

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N

I have no love for mossberg.

I'm not sure I feel the same about any other firearms manufacturer.

lol

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I'm not overly attached to this gun, and see it being replaced at some point in time, but for right now it serves a purpose. The cheap side of me says it's okay for it to darken my gun rack for a couple more years. In a perfect world, I'll find a nice little 20 gauge double, maybe an old Fox Model B or something like that. If so, the Mossy's going down the road, unless Eric wants it back. We did try running slugs through it. It's drilled and tapped for a Weaver strip base. Even with a scope on it we were hard pressed to keep all the slugs on the same target at 50 yards. Just not worth messing with.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For some unknown reason a 20 gauge (.52 caliber) slug shoots so darned accurately. They shoot like a rifle.I have never had an inaccurate 20 gauge slug gun.
12 gauge (.72 caliber) slugs are finicky in some guns and hard to shoot sccurately in most.It is just hard to explain.
GG,you would be well served by what you have your mind set on.We have had several model 220's go thru the shop and there are never any bad remarks for them.
Hope that you are well on the road to full recovery.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Stan, and nice to hear from you as always.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Even my 870 20ga shoots them to an acceptable level in my bird barrel with an IC choke.

Damnit, now I'm going to find that fang browning. Thanks guys. grin

I'd also like to thank the MN DOT, I had to replace my front sway-bar link, both of em, on the exploder this morning.

Page 1,308 of 1,842 1 2 1306 1307 1308 1309 1310 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 44mc, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 10 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,565
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.