Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,323 of 1,842 1 2 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I've owned my oldest accutrigger for about 10 years now I think, and it was a used rifle when I got it.

Something clever here.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I posted this on the main Campfire forum. Not 1 response so far. Kinda ironic that every kind of degenerate topic can get tons of responses, but ask a question about a very worthwhile cause and all you hear is crickets. Anybody here have any ideas?

I am the president of our local PF chapter and we are going to hold a Youth Outdoor Activity Day late this summer. This will be a free thing for kids to come out and experience a lot of different outdoor hobbies like: trap shooting, BB/Pellet gun, archery, orienteering/geocaching, shoot/don't shoot course, mock blood trail, trapping demos, slingshots, casting clinic, etc. We are going to ask conservation orgs to come out and host a youth activity of their choosing. We cannot shoot rifles of any kind at this facility, but we have plenty of room.

My question to the 'fire is can you think of an outdoor activity that we could put on for kids to do? All ages of kids will be participating and we need things for young kids as well as old kids. Prolly looking at 200 kids is my guess. If you have any ideas of things we could do, I would really appreciate hearing them. After all....it's for the kids!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
How about a Pocket Gopher trapping clinic? Teach them something that they could go out and make a few bucks doing and help out the farmers at the same time. That could build relationships for future hunting access on private lands as well.

Last edited by Rooster7; 03/19/14.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I added it to my list Roody7! anybody know of any groups that i should include? I believe I have all the major ones on my list.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Could you get away with slingshot or archery shoots? How 'bout a clinic on building fishing rods? A basic compass use course? Not everyone owns a GPS. Wood duck or blue bird box building?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Wild life track identification?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Build some wood duck houses.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a good one wabigoon.

Maybe to expand on that idea a bit...

You'd have to split the kids up into groups but you could do a nature walk where the kids could be shown:
1) How to identify any local wildlife tracks*
2) Local edible wild plants
3) Local poisonous wild plants
4) Keep a scorecard of various local wildlife that the kids can check-off when they spot them on the walk.

*Although you might not have any guaranteed tracks to work with unless you cheat. Get a hold of some plaster molds of real tracks and either leave them along a trail for the kids to find or use them to make a fake animal trail. Then have the kids identify them using a simple photocopied sheet with local wildlife prints on it.

Have a display of various animal pelts that the kids can handle and identify.

A firearms display with a variety of different types and descriptions: Muzzleloaders, falling block single shots, lever action, bolt action, pump action, semi-auto, etc.

Let the kids make pine cone bird feeders that they can take home (fun for the little ones).
1) Make a small hole in the pine cone
2) Run a string through the hole
3) Smear with peanut butter
4) Roll in bird seed mix
5) Hang on tree at home

Steps 1 & 2 can be done before hand so the little ones only have to do the rest.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Could you get away with slingshot or archery shoots? How 'bout a clinic on building fishing rods? A basic compass use course? Not everyone owns a GPS. Wood duck or blue bird box building?

Slingshot and archery are already on the docket. building rods....that takes some specialized equipment and materials. Dunno if I have access to that. Yes, orienteering and geocaching are both included (tentatively). assuming we have the manpower to staff them. that will be the next thing, can we get enough people to staff all these things! Bird houses are covered in a separate event later in the year with a local group really well. Great ideas!

wildlife track id....hmmm. How am I going to get all those stinkin' critters to parade by the booth in an orderly fashion and lay down tracks? Just kidding. I plan on having our naturalist from the DNR come out and I think he may have some cast tracks. that is a good idea.

Great ideas guys, keep them coming. The event is Aug 24, so plenny of time. And if anyone wants to bring a carload of kids, it will be a good time. I will update you more as we get closer.

Hey, maybe Stan can run a boot for us! Stan, you up for a MN roadtrip?

By the way, not one stinkin' reply on the campfire main forum. All talk over there, nobody walks the walk. I knew you guys would be better!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I've owned my oldest accutrigger for about 10 years now I think, and it was a used rifle when I got it.

Oh wow! Time flies I guess. I had a savage/stevens 200 in .243 that was a lights out shooter. I traded it to get a win push feed m70 fwt, in .243 which I sold to pay for a divorce. eek

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
BM,

Trying to think of things kids like.... atv riding, fishing stuff, learning survival stuff like shelter (forts), fire stating (safely of course), casting, cooking... even if it's hotdogs over a fire, making a still for water, tree identification, animal and/or animal track i.d., trapping, pan-fishing, canoeing, climbing rocks or rock wall, ropes courses, fishing lure making.

Sling shot stuff is cool, set up targets and have contest of some sort?

Check with Capra's in Blaine. They're good people.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by gophergunner

I like those ideas. All relatively easy and informative. The compass course is a big deal. When we had hunters safety classes,even a lot of adults didn't know how to use a compass. Set up a course with tokens or "treasures"?

When are you going to have this? If the timing is right, I could help you out.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Berettaman

By the way, not one stinkin' reply on the campfire main forum. All talk over there, nobody walks the walk. I knew you guys would be better!

It's getting loony over there. Harder and harder to go on there every day.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
BM, check with Geocaching.com for help with GPS, there should be members in your area that geocache. If I were a little bit closer would love to help with that.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Map reading and compass use. teach them to shoot an azimuth.

I like the bird house ideas too.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not to change the subject but I am down in Cotter Ar. and hit a gun store today that was selling 22 ammo. Blazer 40 gr. 57.00 a brick and no limit. They had about a 100 bricks sitting out. My buddy thought it might be a ok deal but my thought was it was about double what it should be going for. I / we did not by any but I did buy a couple pounds of Varget this afternoon at another gun shop.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool! I snapped up a pound of varget a fee weeks back as well. My .22lf spot dried up though.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
BM-
We have soemthing similar called Sportsmen for Youth. Upon entry every kid gets a t-shirt. We have raffle prizes donated by local businesses too. Fire Dept. and EMS bring their rigs down for tours, local Steelheaders have a fishing simulator. Hunter Safety has treestand with harness set up. LaPorte skeet throwers rep brings by a machine that throws foam "frisbees" up for archers to shoot at. Kayak company brings a half dozen boats for the kids to try. There's various wildlife and taxidermy displays. Conservation Officers are there. Boy Scouts camp out and show the kids how it's done. We have some mountain men there camped out and they bring throwing hatchets and a big cross section of a stump to throw at. Our live fire has trap, .22, archery, 3-D archery, BB guns, turkey shoot with 20 gauge, and shotgun shell reloading. I'm just hitting the high points, but we've been doing it for over 20 years and we get about 2000 kids each year.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ok, now I wanna come and throw some hatchets! Nuttin like a good hatchet throwin!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
BM, anyone mention Biking related events, off road, on road, safety, maintenance etc...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Page 1,323 of 1,842 1 2 1321 1322 1323 1324 1325 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 2,729 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,515
Posts18,452,683
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.