Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska

Using a fabric cover over 4" foam block to seal heat loss through skylight no light in winter any way. Stupid skylights those that leak and those that have not leaked yet are the 2 common types here in AK!

I've installed over 30 Velux skylights, a few in upstate NY and the rest in the SE. I've had exactly one leak, and only in 50+mph winds.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The problem with skylights leaking in AK is that people up here love to have flat/low pitch roofs with poor insulating qualities. The snow sits on it, melts, and the weight of the ice/snow pushes the water through any crack and crevice, no matter how well sealed.

I live in Anchorage, and I see new houses going up that have no wind barrier, no vapor barrier, and 1/2" gaps in the T111 siding that are filled in with caulk. All this for $325k. You start throwing in other things like no drip edge on the roof, 2x4 walls, and inadequate ventilation, and then people act all surprised when their house starts falling apart in 10 years. "Oh, that's just the way it is up here, because our weather is so extreme!" has been told to me DOZENS of times.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, and you gotta love the 6" soffits!

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ATV, I'm not sure I agree with your soffet/gable or soffet/ridge. You might have to explain this to me. In my house I have gable, soffet, ridge vents and fans. Since we use and want the heat only while it is contained within the house, after it leaves the insulation I want it out of the attic ASAP. The reason I have all 3 vent types is snow can cover the ridge vents compromising the convective air flow. This is where the gable vents are a back up. The type of insulation can also be a factor. Blown in type can be moved around within the attic durning high winds. It is not uncommon to have a big pile in the center of the attic and bare areas around the edges.

I'm not real fond of the tyvex type house wrap, but prefer tarpaper. This is another topic.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Pak, the only way to know for sure is get in the attic with one of those smoke pencil things and analyze what's happening. The "problem" with the gable vents is the air may not be flowing up from the soffets. This can overheat shingles and induce heat-related failure. I wouldn't think that would be a problem in your area. Worst case scenario would be to block of the gable(s) for the summer and open it up in the winter.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i have a feild guide from ccr i will see if i can post it...show how the air moves in the roof....btw i have built a 5 star home (i=me driving every nail -sold it for 320$$$) in this case and i'm going for 5 star+ this go around.......1/2 mil tag going on this one....

Attached Images
small House.JPG (82.77 KB, 148 downloads)

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
When we built our house we had the same issue. Our answer was to place roof/attic turbines at the peak of the metal roof. We installed 2 and even on calm days they passively spin and remove any trapped heat and moisture. It was low cost and worked fine.

Walt

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by UncleJake
The problem with skylights leaking in AK is that people up here love to have flat/low pitch roofs with poor insulating qualities. The snow sits on it, melts, and the weight of the ice/snow pushes the water through any crack and crevice, no matter how well sealed.

I live in Anchorage, and I see new houses going up that have no wind barrier, no vapor barrier, and 1/2" gaps in the T111 siding that are filled in with caulk. All this for $325k. You start throwing in other things like no drip edge on the roof, 2x4 walls, and inadequate ventilation, and then people act all surprised when their house starts falling apart in 10 years. "Oh, that's just the way it is up here, because our weather is so extreme!" has been told to me DOZENS of times.

I'm shocked that code allows a 2x4 wall up there. 2x6 would be minimum, IMO. I'd want nothing less than a spaced double 2x4 wall in the interior.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing shocks me anymore....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
pm sent.

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by colorado
Down here in Colorado we have this dehumidifier called the sun ...

smile

Here on the coast of Washington, there is an old legend repeated by local native elders that speaks of this "sun". Of course, like most legends it has not been observed in recent memory and cannot be confirmed. Few lend any credence to the story but it is useful for scaring children around the campfire.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 12/21/12.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I myself....have seen "the great heat tab" in the sky ...(for less than 2 hours today)...all hail the great heat tab!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Have soffit vents and (****gable vents****) with ridge vent. **** cant have both- the gable has to go ...a bit late with that info i am.

That is correct, reading to the end but there it is.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in RI. We got a foot of snow yesterday! It's code to have both ridge and soffit. They are supposed to work together. I have gable vents too. Since I wrapped my house in vinyl, I figured I couldn't be too careful.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
That's the problem, gable vents, plus ridge vents, can cause short circuiting, air flow needs to be uniform and even. Our winters are so long problems can result.

Now need to vent bathroom fans to gable ends, one of the fans vents to eaves.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was sent some materials from a fellow poster which have some air flow patterns for various attic/roof vent scenerios. I have gable, ridge and soffit vents. Because my ridge vents are often covered with snow I am going to leave my configuration as is. After many years I have had zero issues with my roof. Lousy venting is sure a PIA.

Last edited by pak; 01/01/13.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I cut a doorway into my back gable for easy access.

The ridge vents get buried for extended periods when we get snow.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
My ridge vents get buried also, but I have shoveled around them in heavy snow and found they had air pockets open to the ends and were ventilating.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Would a smoke bomb in the attic help figuring air flow pattern?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A fire would eliminate most of the ice too!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
669 members (12308300, 16Racing, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 78 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,614
Posts18,398,421
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.