Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by cromerobbins
Based on all the rave reviews I've seen, these rings are supposed to be top-notch.

They are top notch of the $40 ring sets. But, that's as far as it goes.

No offense...but what else do you need?

I prefer vertical split rings that are removable and return to zero. This allows me to remove my scope for cleaning the rifle, or shipping the rifle or traveling with the rifle. Can't do so with the one piece setup like the lightweights.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I lap my Talleys. Talleys are good if you are going for weight, but I still feel the Burris Signatures are the best rings out there otherwise. No need to lap, true scope alignment, no ring marks.

I also lap my Talley LW's and think Burris has the best set-up. good post

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 257heaven
Originally Posted by cromerobbins
Based on all the rave reviews I've seen, these rings are supposed to be top-notch.

They are top notch of the $40 ring sets. But, that's as far as it goes.

No offense...but what else do you need?

I prefer vertical split rings that are removable and return to zero. This allows me to remove my scope for cleaning the rifle, or shipping the rifle or traveling with the rifle. Can't do so with the one piece setup like the lightweights.

I've never had a need for that, but the Talley Ltwts are definitely not the rings for that use.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by leftybolt
I find, that the light weights(because of the fact that the scope tube doesn't fit flush in the bottom of the rings until you begin tightening screws) do tend to leave unsightly ring marks(indentations)on the scope tube.
Leftybolt

I don't know about anyone else, but every single set of Ruger rings I've owned do this. The scope practically snaps into the well. A guarantee for scratches for every scope I've owned aside from the Conquest; their anodized holds up pretty well.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Ruger rings are the reason I learned to lap rings. They are terrible for leaving ringmarks or in my case, a dented tube.

Better yet Ruger insists you don't lap their rings. They don't care if they *&^% up your scope...just don't lap the rings....LMAO!

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I love my Talleys - no complaints here and never had a failure.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by kcTbear
Originally Posted by leftybolt
I find, that the light weights(because of the fact that the scope tube doesn't fit flush in the bottom of the rings until you begin tightening screws) do tend to leave unsightly ring marks(indentations)on the scope tube.
Leftybolt

I don't know about anyone else, but every single set of Ruger rings I've owned do this. The scope practically snaps into the well. A guarantee for scratches for every scope I've owned aside from the Conquest; their anodized holds up pretty well.

Yep - a learning experience for me. I have mounted and unmounted probably 25 scopes in my time using Leupold rings mostly. Don't recall finding a ring mark on any scope I've removed. This w/e had to remove a new Minox scope purchased here on the fire (there's another story there - loose eyepiece - point of aim shift, etc.). I had it mounted in Talley Lightweights that are almost universally praised wherever you look. Upon removal of the scope I found not only ring marks but actual dents in the tube - 4 of them - 1 near each ring gap. As mentioned above, I'm not new to this. I use scope alignment bars that should point out any massive problems with the rings or the receiver mounting holes. I used a Wheeler Engineering FAT to tighten the ring caps to 15-20 inch/lbs. Although I don't remember having to push the scope down into the bottom halves of the rings, I do remember the bottom of the ring "grabbing" the scope. When I go to pack the scope in the original box I find a warning about overtightening scope rings voiding the Minox warranty !?!?! Anyway, I've contacted Talley via their website describing my concerns but after reading some of the posts here it seems like a known issue. Is this just part of the joy of using Talley rings?

Last edited by releehweoj; 12/17/12.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Melvin Forbes designed these rings and sold the rights to talley so he has used this style ring since nulas inception
I have used them countless times and switched scopes back and forth and never had one scratch or dent a scope tube but ther is always a first.

gene

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I have some Warne rings, pretty sure they are Warne, that you have to "snap" the top ring down over the tube. Gives me the heebie jeebies every time.

Are they Leupold QRW or PRW?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

All my Warne rings are like these, quick release and permanent shown:

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by gene270
Melvin Forbes designed these rings and sold the rights to talley so he has used this style ring since nulas inception
I have used them countless times and switched scopes back and forth and never had one scratch or dent a scope tube but ther is always a first.

gene

Gene do you lap these before mounting your scopes. I never have. It's almost like the sharp inside corners of either the ring caps or the lower rings dug into the scope tube. Maybe lapping off those corners is the answer. I really like the design of these things and I don't want to ditch them if there is a relatively easy fix for this.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own 6 sets of Talley LW and I have lapped every one of them. They are light, strong, reasonably priced and have never messed up one of my scopes or let me down. Also Talley customer service is top notch.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I own 6 sets of Talley LW and I have lapped every one of them. They are light, strong, reasonably priced and have never messed up one of my scopes or let me down. Also Talley customer service is top notch.

How much lapping are we talking about - going for high percentage contact between inside of the rings and the scope tube or just knocking off the sharp edges?

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I lapped a pair just the other day, ended up getting at least 80 percent contact and still had plenty of gap when I torqued them down..

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Is there a special compound you use when lapping aluminum rings? I've been lapping Talley LWs with my Wheeler kit with good success, but I've heard others say to use a different non-embedding compound with aluminum.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I use the wheeler kit also..

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by releehweoj
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

How much lapping are we talking about - going for high percentage contact between inside of the rings and the scope tube or just knocking off the sharp edges?

I have had to lap every single pair of these rings that I have mounted.. I want the scope tube to sit in the rings perfectly without a gap without having to use force .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I always lap every set, and also radius the edges so they don't dig into the scope:

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I find very few rings that don't benefit from lapping.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I find very few rings that don't benefit from lapping.

+1

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
What do you use to radius the edges?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 79 invisible), 3,085 guests, and 1,448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.