Print Thread
Hop To
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've had a S&W new model 29 for a year now, maybe 400 rounds through it at the most. I went to the gun range Saturday and after about 15 rounds the thing locked up tight. On the way home I dropped it by the gunshop I bought it from. Neither the owner nor me could see what was wrong with it. It has an internal lock, but we locked and unlocked it to no avail.

Then today the gunsmith there called and said it was fixed. When I asked him what he found he said that opening on the end of the ejector rod was "mushroomed" like someone had hit it with a hammer. It was binding to the little pin that it normally rotates around (the pin that pulls back to release the cylinder).

I am totally confused by what could have happened. If the revolver had been locked up when I took it out of the holster I guess I would just have to blame myself for somehow doing the damage while handling it, but I had put 15 rounds through it before it happened.

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Any ideas?

BP-B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Can't tell by your post if you bought this new, new to you, or a "new model."

If you bought it second hand, maybe somebody did hit it with a hammer to knock out a stuck case, like your gunsmith said. These rods will sometimes unscrew a little bit under recoil, causing a bind as it moves forward.

Seen it, and talked to my gunsmith about it, too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep,

Had a 629 Mtn. gun do the same thing.

Never did figure out "where" the burr came from, but stoning it off WORKED! It never locked up again.

Mine was pre-lock. Lost faith in it and traded it off....BAD mistake!

Virgil B.

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It was NIB when I bought it last December.

So Virgil, you said there was a burr - did it lock up all at once like mine?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If the ejector rod was partially unscrewed (and this happens all the time; I check them each time I clean a S&W), then it may have battered against the front of the ejector rod housing under recoil. That could cause the tip of the ejector rod to "mushroom" as your gunsmith described.

I have had a few S&W N-frames "lock up" because the ejector rods have partially unscrewed. It is just something to check as regular maintenance.

IC B2

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I have had a few S&W N-frames "lock up" because the ejector rods have partially unscrewed. It is just something to check as regular maintenance.

I have had it happen with K frames and frequently with my Model 63 J frame.

When you pick it up ask the gunsmith to show you how to correct it and if it happens again you can fix it in the field.

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
If the ejector rod was partially unscrewed (and this happens all the time

I'll bet that's it. Good advice. Although I regularly check the side plate screws for tightness, never even thought to check the ejector rod for tightness.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by McInnis
I've had a S&W new model 29 for a year now, maybe 400 rounds through it at the most. I went to the gun range Saturday and after about 15 rounds the thing locked up tight. On the way home I dropped it by the gunshop I bought it from. Neither the owner nor me could see what was wrong with it. It has an internal lock, but we locked and unlocked it to no avail.

Then today the gunsmith there called and said it was fixed. When I asked him what he found he said that opening on the end of the ejector rod was "mushroomed" like someone had hit it with a hammer. It was binding to the little pin that it normally rotates around (the pin that pulls back to release the cylinder).

I am totally confused by what could have happened. If the revolver had been locked up when I took it out of the holster I guess I would just have to blame myself for somehow doing the damage while handling it, but I had put 15 rounds through it before it happened.

Anyone ever had anything like this happen? Any ideas?
You need to stop taking hammers to your ejector rods. They're meant to be operated with the thumb or the palm.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That happening actually worked to my benefit. The model 58 I have was doing the same thing so the guy was selling it cheap. Took if home and found that the ejector rod was mushroomed and the lock at the front of the ejector housing was gummed up and couldn't spring back out of the way likes it's supposed to. Drifted out the pin, cleaned it up and stoned the mushroom on the ejector rod and no problem with this gun since.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Actually it is the pin in the center of the cylinder that is pushed with the thump piece to unlock the front of the cylinder.
It is too soft and heavy recoil will peen it. It is inertia. One reason to not shoot heavy bullets.
The pin is in the center of the extracting rod.
The only way to open the gun is by using a hunk of wood on the thumb piece and tapping it. Then you must remove the cylinder and take it apart to get to the pin. LEFT HAND THREAD on the extractor rod.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
Actually it is the pin in the center of the cylinder that is pushed with the thump piece to unlock the front of the cylinder.
It is too soft and heavy recoil will peen it. It is inertia. One reason to not shoot heavy bullets.
The pin is in the center of the extracting rod.
The only way to open the gun is by using a hunk of wood on the thumb piece and tapping it. Then you must remove the cylinder and take it apart to get to the pin. LEFT HAND THREAD on the extractor rod.

Yup, that's exactly right.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
These rods used to loosen up alot more with the older five-screw revolvers with a right hand thread. When S&W went to the four-screw and models since it threaded the ejector rod with a left hand twist. In spite of that, I've had several loosen up. I always check it's at least finger tight just before loading the gun.

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

I left part of the story out since I had assumed it was only coincidence, but now I'll go ahead an mention it.

As I said, I probably have put about 400 rounds through this revolver, mostly cast 240 grn bullets. I recently bought some 300 grn Sierra SPs and loaded up some of them. The cylinder locked up after I had fired the third 300 grainer.

???

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McInnis,

Mine was new in the box also.

Shot less than 100 rounds and it started hanging up. It seemed to get progerssively worse.

Just stoning the burr did cure the problem.

I got the information on the fix, right HERE on campfire! GREAT bunch of guys!

Virgil B.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 85 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.