Print Thread
Hop To
G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I've met a couple of people who endured the Eastern Front. I wish I had had this book before I met them. It is a really grim recollection of that arena.

If you have any interest in WWII history it is a worthwhile read.

Retired cat herder.

GB2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who is the author, publisher and date?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Here's a link. I bought it, IIRC, at Costco for $20 or so. I've already passed it on to a friend who has passed it on.

http://www.amazon.com/Sniper-Eastern-Front-Memoirs-Allerberger/dp/1844153177

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for identifying the author.

I don't admire the exploits of the Nazi.

They not only started the war but they murdered millions of innocent children and others.

On top of that they were so incompetent that they lost the war and got their country occupied by their enemy for 60 years!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the Germans werent incompitant, Hitler thinking he was a great military leader and ignoring his real great military leaders is what caused them to loose....WWII could have easily gone another way, remember its not Germany that invaded Poland, Germany AND Russia both invaded and divided it up....Europe would look very different today if he would have stuck to its nonaggression pact with Russia let alone some of the other mistakes he made even after he invaded Russia......

Last edited by rattler; 12/18/12.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rattler
the Germans werent incompitant, Hitler thinking he was a great military leader and ignoring his real great military leaders is what caused them to loose....WWII could have easily gone another way, remember its not Germany that invaded Poland, Germany AND Russia both invaded and divided it up....Europe would look very different today if he would have stuck to its nonaggression pact with Russia let alone some of the other mistakes he made even after he invaded Russia......

Yep, plus his very disciplined and professional army from top to bottom.

It�s always a chilling thought to me that all of the effort it took for the western Allies to do what they did (USA, England, Canada, Aussies, New Zealand, Indian troops and a whole bunch of others combined )� interminably slogging up the boot of Italy for most of the war, the invasion of France, the broad front up and down France, Belgium and the Netherlands � all of that was to defeat approximately one third of the Wehrmacht.

One third. With one third of their total war material � fuel, food, ammunition, tanks, planes, artillery � the Germans held off the combined might of the Allies for as long as they did. The other two thirds were occupied fighting the Russians.

Can you imagine how much tougher Fortress Europe would have been to crack had we faced the entire German Army and all of their equipment?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

They not only started the war but they murdered millions of innocent children and others.

On top of that they were so incompetent that they lost the war and got their country occupied by their enemy for 60 years!
===========================================================
"Wehrmacht" cowards killing woman and children.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Savage_99

===========================================================
"Wehrmacht" cowards killing woman and children.

[Linked Image]

kinda like our fire bombing whole cities......war is hell....

yeah they did nasty chit but their grasp of technology was unreal.....had they had a guy like Henry Ford to instill ease of production into their heads instead of "complicated precision"(see the suspension system of the Panther and Tiger tanks) and they would have stopped both us and the Russians in our tracks.....even at the closing of the war none of the Allies had a gun to stack up against the 88mm be it in AA or Tank form, only reason we beat it is we were willing and able to sacrifice 8 to 12 Shermans or Russian tanks per Tiger or Panther taken out....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read a book about a soldier�s time on the Eastern front, �The Forgotten Soldier�. It was okay but monotonous and redundant. I don�t mean to trivialize the experience at all but the book could be outlined thusly:

It�s really hot and dusty.
There sure are a lot of Russians.
We mow them down by the thousand and another thousand show up.
They have a lot of artillery.

It�s really cold here.
There sure are a lot of Russians.
They have a lot of artillery.

It�s really, really cold here .
We�re all freezing our asses off.
There sure are a whole lot of Russians.
They have a whole lot of artillery.

It�s really hot and dusty.
We�re all really hungry.
There sure are a sh*tload of Russians.
They have a whole lot of artillery.

It�s really, really f***ing cold!
We�re all freezing our asses off.
We�re really hungry.
There sure are a hell of a lot of Russians.
They sure have a hell of a lot of artillery.

And so on for several hundred pages.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Savage_99
Thank you for identifying the author.

[Linked Image]

Please don't think I admire the Nazis' exploits. I've met people on both sides of the Eastern front. This book was one man's recollections.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
believe me he is the only one here who prolly thought that.....he has numerous posts here on numerous threads where if anyone says anything positive about anything German during WWII they are supporters and glorifying the Nazis, im paraphrasing but its pretty close....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,726 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,696
Posts18,399,917
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.