Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

I am ignorant of how things are done in Africa, but wouldn't it have been helpful to gut it first.

From my very limited experience, where possible, the gutting tends to get done back at camp or at a processing facility..

There are a number of reasons for this, but one is that the locals tend use far more of the offal that we normally throw away, including things like the stomach for tripes and also the intestines ect, along with usual things like the liver and heart ect..

Thanks. We will save the liver and heart at times. but nothing else.

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
People in this country used to use a lot more of the organs than we do now. Tripe was common and the intestines were used for sausage casings. Kidneys were always eaten, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I tried kidney from a turkey once. Not again. We used pig intestines for sausage casing, but we got them from a butcher shop. If I wasn't the only one eating it I would save every liver and heart though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ABLE
YES i HAVE BEEN NEEDING ONE OF THESE for years but just could not come up with how to make for the weigth being pulled up the ramp tailgate. I would appreciate pictures or recomendations on how you built your game hauler.

TKS able

Not sure which part you need help with, but if its getting anchoring points, some folks, such as use the tie down points fixed in the bed floor.

Put a a length of chain between the two tie down points and then fix your winch to the center of it.

If you are looking for something more permanent, you will need build some sort of frame and anchor that to the truck and then bolt the winch to it as below:
(Pic is from another site and shows a set up which belongs to a British stalker who posts as PointBlank)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Pete E; 12/13/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Re fitting an electric winch, if its rated for 12v 100A (max pull) which is 1200watts, would it be safe to use cable and sockets designed for domestic use rated at 240V x 12A which is 3120Watts?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At our elk camp, we started out with a 2,000-lb winch on the headache rack of our "meat wagon" (a twenty-year old GMC 4WD pickup with an 8-foot bed). At first, we carried a 4x8 sheet of 3/4-inch plywood that laid in the floor of the bed until it was needed. The ply wood was ungainly and we had to strap it down heading back down the mountain. So about 10 years ago, we had some aluminum plate welded on a three-piece folding ATV ramp. This worked a lot better and the folded ramp nestles nicely in the back with a gutted elk.

Then, three years ago, I shot a 6x6 with a largish rack, but an absolutely huge body. We got the thing about half way into the bed and the winch started smoking and quit working. We now have a 5,000-lb winch on the headache rack and it has been up to the task so far.

We also have a 2,000-lb winch on the roll cage of one of the Polaris Rangers. Last fall, another buddy and his son-in-law managed to get his medium-sized 4x5 into the bed of the Ranger with that winch. A deer would be no problem at all.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen

Then, three years ago, I shot a 6x6 with a largish rack, but an absolutely huge body. We got the thing about half way into the bed and the winch started smoking and quit working. We now have a 5,000-lb winch on the headache rack and it has been up to the task so far.

Mudhen,

I did a google on 2000lb ATV winches and I was surprised just how many cheap Chinese winches there are out there now in the $80 to $120 price range and I be the quality varies significantly.

Also, as Rockchuck alluded to in another post, it seems company's arrive at the poundage pulling ratings differently. One I was looking at for instance advertised a 2000lb pull but in the small print, that was using a double line pull, so really it was only a 1000lb pull at best.

If I understand the theory correctly, another factor is due to gearing effects. The full power of a winch is only available when all the line is paid out..the more turns of line left on the drum or as the cable winds back on, the less pulling power it has available. That could have been a factor when your 2000lb winch burned out...

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 12/15/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pete,

Thanks for your comments. Actually, the 2,000-lb winch that burned up was a Warne. We have the same winch on the Polaris. The one that went belly up had probably just been used too hard over its twelve years of life.

When we started down the mountain dragging the elk and the loading ramp, we came to a water bar. My buddy stopped with the end of the ramp on top of the water bar, leaving the elk almost level with the bed. The little winch gave one last gasp and managed to get the entire elk into the bed of the pickup.

I took the winch apart back at the camp, and it looked like it might have been salvageable with some new parts. However, we just went ahead and invested in a new 5,000-lb winch.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Warn is THE name for winches for ATV's and such. They cost a tad more, but they are worth it IMHO. And you can double your pulling power with a snatch block. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudhen
Pete,

Thanks for your comments. Actually, the 2,000-lb winch that burned up was a Warne.

Hi Mudhen,

I was not alluding that you were using a cheap winch, but rather just wondering out load what sort of quality an $80-$100 Made-in-China made 2000lb winch is likely to be..

A friend looks like he might be taking on a lease with some of the larger species of British deer on it, and this is one of the things he is considering for the cargo area of his Crewcab..

Additionally, in the next 12 months I am hoping to get a different 4x4, and again, I would like to add a loading winch..

Regards,

Peter

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The best winch I have ever owned is a lewis chainsaw winch,kinda the do it all plus some winch.

Similar to this one with extra's and a Sthil head.

[Linked Image]

jayco

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by ABLE
YES i HAVE BEEN NEEDING ONE OF THESE for years but just could not come up with how to make for the weigth being pulled up the ramp tailgate. I would appreciate pictures or recomendations on how you built your game hauler.

TKS able

Not sure which part you need help with, but if its getting anchoring points, some folks, such as use the tie down points fixed in the bed floor.

Put a a length of chain between the two tie down points and then fix your winch to the center of it.

If you are looking for something more permanent, you will need build some sort of frame and anchor that to the truck and then bolt the winch to it as below:
(Pic is from another site and shows a set up which belongs to a British stalker who posts as PointBlank)

[Linked Image]
As a warning and a lesson in physics: if you put a chain across the front of the truck bed and hook the winch to the middle, leave lots of slack in the chain. The physics of force dictate that using a tight chain will exert far more force on the sides of the truck than will a loose chain. It will form a triangle with the corners being the 2 chain attachment points and the winch attachment point. The wider the angle where the winch attaches, the more force that's applied to the outside points, maybe even enough to bend something on the truck or break the tie-downs in a heavy pull. Leave the chain loose enough to allow a narrow angle where the winch attaches and you'll put far less force on the sides of the truck.

You can use this same principle to multiply the power of your winch to get something unstuck. Run a chain or cable from the stuck truck to something solid like a tree and get it as tight as possible. Hook the winch cable in the middle of the stretched cable at 90 degrees and pull straight sideways. The force applied to the stuck truck will be far more than what the winch can do in a straight pull. It won't move far before the force is reduced by the changing angle of the tight cable, but it might be enough. For a longer hard pull, you might have to retighten the cable a few times.
WARNING: stand way clear of the stretched cable because it's going to have several times more force on it than usual. It could break and tear you apart.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
[

I am ignorant of how things are done in Africa, but wouldn't it have been helpful to gut it first. [/quote]

The eat a lot of the guts. I've eatten with the blacks in their camps several times and it's not bad. Hey, food is food.

In the Northern Transvaal/Limpopo, at least where I've hunted a bunch, the hooves were used for muti ... local pagan stuff.

And they make the eland dick into a whip-thingie. Impressive whang.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by dogzapper

God Bless,

Steve

shocked laugh

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by dogzapper

God Bless,

Steve

shocked laugh

Frend Dave,

Well, no [bleep], it's gotta be four feet long.

Our blacks got one hell of a kick chasing Karen with it. She got a kick out of it.

By the way, you've not read the whole Grandpa Hank series. Makes me proud, makes me cry. Maybe it might arrive in your PM box one day.

God Bless You and Belinda,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Friend Steve, I look forward to more Grandpa Hank stories. When he spit on the closed car window and said "schit .... you didn't hear that Stevie", I bet you almost pee'd in your pants! laugh

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
742 members (257 roberts, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,369 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,624
Posts18,398,651
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.