Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a Ruger African for a couple years as well as a CZ550FS in 9.3X62. Both are good rifles but I eventually sold the Ruger because try as I might it would not shoot as well as the CZ.
I had the Ruger glassed and pillar bedded because of the rumors of stock issues so there were no problems in that regard.
I still have and use the CZ and also acquired a Ruger Alaskan 375. Having had several different Rugers in recent years, I do think they suffer a bit from quality control in terms of fit and finish compared to the CZ, just my observation...

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You may have that right. The Rugers always seem to be gritty and the actions are rough. It takes a while to smooth them up. The CZ's are slick from the factory and they are shooters to boot. Mine thinks it's a varmint rifle grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Out of the two, I would go for the CZ550. Although I do find it a heavy rifle and find the barrel too long (you can always cut it back).
You could always do what I did and use a VZ-24 (or Mauser/clone) and put a 9.3x62 barrel on it. I cut mine down to 21" and its made it a vey fast handeling rifle. I have gone for ghost ring sight as I want to use it on driven boar. [img:center]http://[Linked Image][/img]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I would-and have-chosen the CZ-550 and then sent it to Jan Kolenbrander, formerly of Martini Gunmakers.

He will install a Micky AHR stock I had, my NECG "ghost" rear peep, a modded Recknagel front banded ramp and Euro Sourdough, smooth the action and install AHR trigger and 3-pos. safety, this was to be a "truck gun" as my three other 9,3x62 rifles are all fairly rare and a bit costly.

But, once all of this is done, it will not longer be a "cheap" rifle and I will just have to deal with rough usage....which is why I own and use only Mauser-type CRF rifles, now, other than a couple of combo guns.

The Rugers are OK, but, the CZ have the true Mauser CRF and are, IME, a bit better overall. YMMV, of course.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I boought my CZ in the 90's for $450 out the door NIB. I spent 2 evenings cycling the bolt with valve grinding compound and then gently glass bedded it. I like the Bavarian stock and the way it takes recoil. It made 4 trips to Africa before I fell off the truck and broke the stock. My PH cycled the bolt and allowed it was the smoothest CZ he had ever handled. I had to replace the stock in South Africa(for $700 USD) with a "custom" CZ stock. It is the best rifle I have ever used and I have a closet full of most every make. If you like something else well "Good on ya'". I find no faults with it. I have a couple Ruger 77's and they are OK. They made an "Express Rifle" a few years ago in 338 win mag I fell in love with but didn't get. You can get better custom built but "to a price" the CZ is hard to equal ,let alone beat.
With 286gr Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX and Norma 201 or IMR 4895 it will put 5 rounds under an inch at 100 yds
I like "Rubenesque Women" too.

Last edited by drducati; 12/20/12.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've handled a couple of Ruger Africans, a 9.3x62 and a 375 Ruger and they both seemed balanced and shouldered nicely. My M77 Hawkeye 358 Win is one of my favorite rifles. However, since I wanted a composite stock, I ended up getting a CZ 550 American 9.3x62 Kevlar and I'm very pleased with the rifle. Even though I still have not finalized the load or powder (using 286gr Nosler Partitions), I believe it will be one of the most accurate rifles I own based on how it has handled factory ammo I've tried. I started with Ram Shot Big Game and will also be trying RL 17 and Varget.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a 550FS 9.3X62. Very accurate and the 9.3X62 is the easiest cartridge to load for accuracy in my nearly 40 yrs. of handloading. It weights 8.75 lbs. with a Leupold M8 4X in Warne steel rings. The action was gritty when new, but smoothed up extremely well after being cycled numerous times and being properly lubed. The CZ would be my first pick.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What no option for Sako 9.3x62

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I first got my CZ 550 it was a bit rough. I had some work done on it, which you probably won't need with a Ruger, but it's my favorite rifle now. All machined steel, wood's pretty, very very accurate, Mauser variant action. Much to like.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
off topic but some of the above posts suggest they are not happy with the weight and barrel length of the rifles above
-Tikka T3 is available right or left handed at 6.25 lbs. and up depending on type of stock with a 22" barrel ss or blue or 20" in the Batteau
-I have been using the ss lite for a few years with the 5 shot mag. which is an asset for shooting offhand and a spare fits in most shirt pockets
-briefly had a Batteau, nice sights, but went down the road for no particular reason

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I had a T3 in 9.3X62 for several years and really liked it,
unfortunately My son borrowed it for an Elk hunt and was so impressed I never got it back, hence my getting the CZ550 FS.
He hunts almost everything on horseback and loves the T3.
In spite of any criticism regarding ' tupperware' guns it has put a lot of meat in his freezers.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll admit that I'm biased as I have a CZ 550 LUX that I purchased in 1999, it has a 1.5-5X Leupold (Hvy Plex) in Talley rings.

I'd certainly choose the CZ 550 LUX again.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did any of the carbine kevlar 9.3x62s ever hit the market?

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Did any of the carbine kevlar 9.3x62s ever hit the market?

Yes, I've had one for six months.

Trevor

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would you kindly post pics and a review?

A while back I was looking for a shorter barreled factory 9.3x62. I looked at a group purchase to import a M98, I looked at the newly announced CZ carbine kevlar, and I looked at a group purchase to import a Sako. The M98 fell through and the CZ never came, but I was successful at getting an imported Sako.

It was my understanding that the carbine kevlar was the basic FS 9.3x62 with the stock being replaced with a CZ exclusive Bell and Carlson unit. The specs of this rifle looked good and I thought it would fit my needs well. I'm far more than pleased with my Sako 9.3x62 and doubt I'll ever let it go, but I still like the idea of the carbine kevlar.

Thanks smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 12/22/12.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (Birdwatcher, 35, Ashworth, Bigd7378, 11 invisible), 1,422 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,256
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.