Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I vote for Gran Torino

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That was a great movie but my "favorite" had to be a western. Not sure which one...too many good ones to pick from.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unforgiven.

A masterpiece.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Paint Your Wagon" was certainly the best movie Eastwood ever made. Nothing like a good singing western! wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"The Good, The Bad and the Ugly", hands down, for the story, the cool characters, classic lines and Ennio Morricone's classic sountrack. Saw it something like 16 times in the first few years it was out. Even had the soundtrack on LP.

"Million Dollar Baby" would get second place for its really good story - had to watch it twice to pick up all the nuances.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
"A Fistful of Dollars", "Dirty Harry" or "Gran Torino"

It depends on which era of Eastwood films.

If I had to pick one it's "Gran Torino"

Last edited by idahoguy101; 09/01/12.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
"Paint Your Wagon" was certainly the best movie Eastwood ever made. Nothing like a good singing western! wink

L.W.

Thanks for reminding me of that film. I think it's the only one in which Eastwood sings. And Lee Marvin was terrific.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by idahoguy101
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

L.W.

Thanks for reminding me of that film. I think it's the only one in which Eastwood sings. And Lee Marvin was terrific.

You're welcome. grin

Actually, one of my favorites starring Eastwood was Joe Kidd, written by Elmore Leonard, a very good novelist and screenwriter. The original title was Sinola, the name of the town where the action took place. But when the flick was released, Universal Pictures changed the title to the name of the main character, "Joe Kidd," played by Eastwood. A great supporting actor in the flick was Robert Duvall, who played the main heavy in the movie.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not saying it was ever his best work, but I can sit and watch "Kelly's Heros" over and over and over...

"Good tings come to dose who shoots straight." Alphonse Soady
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am shocked, shocked I say!

I had to double check what site I was reading this on... but yes, I am here on the 'Fire and nobody has yet posted The Bridges of Madison County!

Can one of our law enforcement people arrange for a welfare check on Ingwe? I think he must be ill or he would have posted his favorite movie by now.

[Linked Image] wink

John

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jpb

Can one of our law enforcement people arrange for a welfare check on Ingwe? I think he must be ill or he would have posted his favorite movie by now.

Ingwe texted me earlier to say he was going to be down for a while.

His case of Chardonnay just arrived along with his Netflix copy of, "Play Misty for Me"

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hotload: I have enjoyed virtually EVERY Clint Eastwood movie - for a couple of reasons: #1 is, he literally saved my life when I was a youngster and #2 he is a great actor and has a great screen presence.
Let me explain the life saving situation.
When I was 6 or 7 years old my slightly older friends dared me to jump off of the high board at the local swim place.
Well I finally was chided enough to take the plunge and sure enough I took in a ton of water and began drowning and was unable to get to safety.
Who swims up and yanks me from the water but Clinton Eastwood Jr.!
He also gave me a lecture and forbade me from jumping off either diving board (the low or the high) until I was able to swim 3 laps of the pool without stopping.
I always said hello to him when he was the on duty lifeguard at that swimming place after that - it also never failed that a young woman or two would be swooning around him that summer.
If I had to pick a favorite movie of his I would have to go with "Unforgiven".
But for pure emotional impact I was "touched" by the original Dirty Harry.
In fact I was asked to leave the theatre by the manager just after I answered out loud Dirty Harry's question "Do you feel lucky punk" with an unprofessional and very inappropriate for a mixed race audience - "SHOOT THAT N----R"!
I also very much enjoyed and was very surprised by Gran Torino.
Long live Clint Eastwood.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
"The Good, The Bad and the Ugly", hands down, for the story, the cool characters, classic lines and Ennio Morricone's classic sountrack. Saw it something like 16 times in the first few years it was out. Even had the soundtrack on LP.

Definitely "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly".

Wah-hoo-wah-hoo-wah----wah-wah-wah. It has been the ring tone on my phone for years. grin

After that it's a toss up. Fistful of Dollars, Unforgiven, Josey Wales, Pale Rider, Joe Kidd, High Plains Drifter, Dirty Harry, Gran Torino. All great flicks......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Eiger Sanction.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hotload: I have enjoyed virtually EVERY Clint Eastwood movie - for a couple of reasons: #1 is, he literally saved my life when I was a youngster and #2 he is a great actor and has a great screen presence.
Let me explain the life saving situation.
When I was 6 or 7 years old my slightly older friends dared me to jump off of the high board at the local swim place.
Well I finally was chided enough to take the plunge and sure enough I took in a ton of water and began drowning and was unable to get to safety.
Who swims up and yanks me from the water but Clinton Eastwood Jr.!
He also gave me a lecture and forbade me from jumping off either diving board (the low or the high) until I was able to swim 3 laps of the pool without stopping.
I always said hello to him when he was the on duty lifeguard at that swimming place after that - it also never failed that a young woman or two would be swooning around him that summer.
If I had to pick a favorite movie of his I would have to go with "Unforgiven".
But for pure emotional impact I was "touched" by the original Dirty Harry.
In fact I was asked to leave the theatre by the manager just after I answered out loud Dirty Harry's question "Do you feel lucky punk" with an unprofessional and very inappropriate for a mixed race audience - "SHOOT THAT N----R"!
I also very much enjoyed and was very surprised by Gran Torino.
Long live Clint Eastwood.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy - Don't think I ever saw a bad Eastwood movie, but some I enjoyed more than others.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hotload: I went to wikipedia and looked over the complete list of Clint Eastwood movies and I was shocked at how many movies he made and how many I have not seen (as yet!)!
I am with you I can't remember one of his movies that i dis-liked.
I even was entertained by his "orangutan" movies.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a Few Dollars More - love the final scene where he is counting out bodies/rewards.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not really his best movie, but if you've ever been to Alcatraz and than re-watch Clints movie it'll give you some new appreciation for the actual events.

Life is just one damned thing after another
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Hands down, The Outlaw Josey Wales.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Trombaguy
Hands down, The Outlaw Josey Wales.

Yep.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
230 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 300jimmy, 10Glocks, 25 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.