-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bics also do not like cold weather. Plus fire steel's are just freakin cool.

GB1

S
S
This is a fire starting technique everyone should learn. Duct Tape is a fire starting material. Always keep a roll handy in your vehicle or hunting pack, it fixes about everything �but few learn it is a fire starter. It�s waterproof, too. Tear off a foot or more, and wad it into a ball, place it on an appropriate surface (a flat rock is good) and light it. The glue is flammable, and a round wad melts into a puddle of sticky gel-fuel that burns until the puddle is exhausted ash. A twig tipi of wet wood will burn when you set a rolled wad inside and light the tape; it will dry the wood as it ignites it. Remember it creates a puddle of gel-fuel that can be moved for best position (also think portable rock candle used for light, too). Duct Tape could save your life if stranded in the winter or in a situation where a fire is desperately needed �don�t forget the Duct Tape!

...I spent most of my money on Guns, Women & Booze. The rest I wasted.

...I started out with nothing and after paying for all my hunting I'm getting back to where I started.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the original bic lighter with adjustable flame was a fair fire making tool... Not great for true cold weather, or high elevations, but for most purposes, it was OK...

the current bic lighter has too small of a flame, is hard to keep burning for any time without burning fingers, and is durable enough for most purposes, but still subject to breakage...

as lighters go, i prefer the zippo, which will burn long without getting too hot to use... it provides plenty of flame to ignite about anything, and is exceedingly durable... I know guys who have used the same lighter for over 40 years.
the zippo does require some light maintenance, and is not completely weatherproof... i have yet to see a completely weatherproof mechanical lighter.

the F.C. firesteels are impervious to any condition that i can imagine... and so easily used that i tend to use them even when a mechanical lighter would suffice...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Part of my approach to backcountry living is to use more primitive means of living whenever possible.

Instead of taking an LED light for the tent that only serves one purpose, I take a USGI surplus Pink Lady candle. Around camp, using that, with kindling that you usually get from splitting Lodgepole, it can make hot fire quick fast and in a hurry like. I've usually got some Strike Anywheres along in the Fireworks too.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Some pics of fatwood or resin saturated fir.

First, a chunk of heavy pitch-saturated fir I cut from a snag that was mostly red rot. Door frame gives a size reference. It is so heavy I do not think it would float, though I did not test that. It is totally dry and non-sticky. Any pitch balls etc. on the outside will crumble.

[Linked Image]

Close up of the inside of the same pice of wood. The outside is weathered.

[Linked Image]

After cutting the large piece into 4 or 5 inch long chunks, I split it with a big knife into slabs as thin as possible. The straight old growth grain splits easily going one way or the other so try it each way. I think it is from the top end of the tree toward the roots that splits straight without splittling out to the side, but never can remember.

[Linked Image]

I wrap a small handful of these slats in a paper towel, put that bundle in a zip loc and carry it always with my small fire making kit. The paper towel protects the zip loc from being shredded by the sharp ends of the wood, and it also burns. A large bundle of this stuff is under the seat of my 4x4 and another in my cook kit tub, etc.

[Linked Image]

Scraping the resin wood with a knife blade or sharp rock produces a fuzz. The fuzz scraped up in this photo ignited on my fourth spark stroke, and I am not very good with the fire steel yet. In previous tries, it ignited on first or second stroke. The slat is less than 1/16 inch thick and burning fuzz starts the slat on fire, which then works like a magnum match.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/23/12.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
WetFire fire starting tinder.

Dry solid cube....non-toxic.....5 year shelf life.....burns at 1300 F......cools instantly....easy to ignite.
Cabelas.....Bass Pro.....Amazon.....many other stores.

http://www.reveresupply.com/ust_website/videos/wetfire.wmv

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've had a block of fire starting cubes from Coghlans or someone like that under the seat of my 4x4 for several years and haven't used it much. Saving it for a real emergency! laugh My mix of fatwood sawdust and shavings in a flammable binding was a concious copy.

For the time and money invested, buying fire paste or such fire starter blocks is a better way to go. I've enjoyed working with this pitch saturated wood and have given it as gifts to selected friends and family who hike and hunt. I over-focus at times, but this is a relatively harmless fad!

Below is a block cut from the long piece shown leaning against the door in one of the pics posted earlier on this thread. It shows the first few slices or splits of wood from the block. I used a knife with a nine inch long blade and press down on both the handle and the back of the blade near the end to get such tidy thin splits. Light pressure and rock the blade a bit at the start.

[Linked Image]

Some fir fatwood slats stored in plastic jars. If I didn't give it away I'd have a lifetime supply on hand. My two sons heat with wood, on the wet coast, and I gave them each a large shoe box of this stuff. Their kids love it for starting fires.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/26/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Okanagan;
I trust and pray that this finds you and yours doing well this fine and very still morning my friend.

As a bit of proof that even aging canines can be taught some new tricks, I changed the way I typically split my fatwood to the thinner and wider wafers such as you've shown.

I split a couple shoe boxes full yesterday after I'd moved firewood to the house and rebedded the bottom metal on the 98 that went crazy on me this season. As an added bonus the garage smells much less like an abattoir now. laugh

Oh, I even finally found a use for a knife that was given to me by a consultant that a few owners back had in to work. He gave me this knife from Lee Valley;

http://www.leevalley.com/en/shopping/AddViews.aspx?p=54891

I must confess that I'd found little use for it until I read your post and thought the hacking knife was built just for splitting fatwood!

Oh, I'm going to try your fuzzing the stick and using the ferro rod right on it too - as well as Dan's very cool tip for modifying a striker.

Thanks to you sir and to all who have contributed to an educational thread. As always you and your family are in my daily prayers.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Stoneman
This is a fire starting technique everyone should learn. Duct Tape is a fire starting material. Always keep a roll handy in your vehicle or hunting pack, it fixes about everything �but few learn it is a fire starter. It�s waterproof, too. Tear off a foot or more, and wad it into a ball, place it on an appropriate surface (a flat rock is good) and light it. The glue is flammable, and a round wad melts into a puddle of sticky gel-fuel that burns until the puddle is exhausted ash. A twig tipi of wet wood will burn when you set a rolled wad inside and light the tape; it will dry the wood as it ignites it. Remember it creates a puddle of gel-fuel that can be moved for best position (also think portable rock candle used for light, too). Duct Tape could save your life if stranded in the winter or in a situation where a fire is desperately needed �don�t forget the Duct Tape!

Who'da thunk it? I carry duct tape wrapped around my hiking poles and canoe thwarts. This is good to know, thanks.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Who'da thunk it? I carry duct tape wrapped around my hiking poles and canoe thwarts. This is good to know, thanks.

Yep, I gotta try that.

Dwayne, you have the ideal knife for splitting fatwood! As for other uses ... whistle

I used to carry a thumb diameter stick of fatwood and would shave off slivers to start a fire, then accidentally discovered on a straight grained piece how well it splits. The thin flat pieces ignite easily.

There has to be another use for wood so pretty.

P.S. Was browsing some old threads and realized that DanAdair posted about scraping up fatwood fuzz to ignite by spark, and that's probably where I got the idea.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/28/12.
IC B3

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Might be he did. But this is an excellent topic for discussion. Glad you brought it up. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've played with fatwood very little. For 3-4 day trips, I like Coughlans fire paste. I feel it's the highest BTUs for the weight as I'm not allowed to play with Napalm anymore. A guy could spend an afternoon sourcing some I suppose, but that's an afternoon I could spend fishing or hunting.

But primitive living skills are where my studies have been lately, because in 17 more years when I semi retire, I plan on spending 7 months in a wilderness being a total land hippy.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by chapped_lips

Dry solid cube....non-toxic.....5 year shelf life.....burns at 1300 F......cools instantly....easy to ignite.

Just took a second gander at that WetFire stuff and it looks superb, especially since it does not evaporate like Trioxane when exposed to air. Thanks for the link!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by chapped_lips

Just took a second gander at that WetFire stuff and it looks superb, especially since it does not evaporate like Trioxane when exposed to air. Thanks for the link!

The Wet Fire Tinder is always my emergency go to fire tinder.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Every, pack, coat, vehicle, etc., I own, has a small waterproof storage tube in it with cotton balls soaked in Vaseline and a magnesium rod with steel(piece of hack saw blade). The containers are the type ya find at marina/boat stores that have the screw off lid with rubber gasket, that float. Works for me!
G

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I almost always carry wet fire. One tablet can start several fires

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
I almost always carry wet fire. One tablet can start several fires

Or two or three can get pretty wet wood going.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ed, wish I could take your wilderness course, though it is not likely for me to manage that. As the title of this thread indicates, I've tinkered and learned while doing but like all self taught people, we never know what we don't know!

Of more value than my pics of cutting up fatwood is your field instruction on how to find such wood in the wilderness and how to use it there.

We got a fresh tracking snow within the past two hours and if it doesn't melt, I might be tempted to get off of my couch and venture out tomorrow. If so, hope to survive enough to return alive! laugh

Best of the New Year to all on the Backpack Forum!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Ed_T
I have had a couple instances where I have shot an elk at below zero temperatures and the first thing I have done is get a hellacious fire going. One time I dragged a sizable pitchwood stump into the fire and then I had some intense heat that lasted for a long time.

Good Thread..

I have only shot one elk but that's exactly what we did..The fire was nice to warm up to every 10 minutes or so.. The pack out was only about a mile to the truck so we would stock the fire real good so it was still burning when we returned for more meat..

I have been using some fire starters I bought at Cabelas about 10 years ago, they work great for backpacking and emergency use but I am about out.. I will be using the cotton ball/vaseline method as well as a fire steel once they are out..

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Big_W
I keep my vaseline/cotton balls in a chewing tobacco can.
I used to use 35mm film canisters. For you youn'uns, those were small plastic cans with good lids used to hold these round pre-Civil War thingies called camera film. When 35mm film became extinct, I switched to large pill bottles. There's no way a lid will ever come off of one of those...whether you want it off or not. If your emergency involves cold hands, they'll be a lot colder before you get the lid off to start a fire. It might be easier to carry a couple tracer rounds for your rifle to shoot the lid off and start the fire at the same time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (16penny, 007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 45 invisible), 2,211 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,812
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.